Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 12:54 AM

740 posts, read 2,013,092 times

Advertisements

This is defiantly one that I will not be seeing. Nor would I take my kids to see it. I did read where Nichole Kidman try's to play down the plot saying that she is a good Catholic and that she would never play in a movie that was against her religion.... hummm I do seem to remember many movies where she was lets say... less than clothed doing... ummm.. things that would be considered sinful by the church.. So she is not very creditable in my opinion.

But at least this writer comes right out and says that he is an atheist instead of touting under the guise of a Christian all of the time writing about witchcraft, witches and warlocks. Oh... and one of the main characters who is now gay.

Harry Potter gay twist - Yahoo! News UK (broken link)

"But I am disappointed that she did not make Dumbledore's sexuality explicit in the Harry Potter book. Making it obvious would have sent a much more powerful message of understanding and acceptance."

a quote from the writer to the site... umm... sexuality explicit gay children's books...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 01:15 AM

7,531 posts, read 17,209,792 times
Um, are you confusing sexually explicit (scenes with sex) and explicit sexuality? Because it seems you are.

I'm just so confused these days. It seems like everything it out to convert or "Steal away" portions of our society. Rowling is out to make our kids gay Wiccans. Pullman is out to make our kids Atheists. Dobson is out to make our kids evangelical Baptists.

What happened to free thought, intellectual curiousity and diversity? Just because you see, hear, contemplate, think about, hash out, consider, or even(!) participate in something, that doesn't necessarily mean you *are,* want to be, or are in danger of having your critically-thinking mind frozen and in its place other authors, musicians, playwrights, and artists do your thinking for you.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:05 PM

54,492 posts, read 33,848,086 times
Default The Golden Compass Movie

This movie is based on Philip Pullman's novel, who is a renown atheist, and from what many people are saying, it's another attempt by Hollywood's elite to push their lies to the world.

You won't see me racing to a movie theater to see this movie, that's for sure.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:09 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,879,181 times
This thread is a merge of 3 threads.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:05 PM

9 posts, read 28,129 times
Default Athiests!! For Children

As a Christian I am passing this on as others are:

In case you didn't know, this movie is due to come out in December and the author (an atheist) has one purpose in mind and that is "to kill God in the minds of children," it's awful and you need to read it so you're not deceived by this children's movie. I hate sending or forwarding articles that have no substance or credibility but every once in a while I come across one that pierces my heart, and this is on.

http://snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp

Old 11-01-2007, 03:52 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,380,163 times
Default enough already

Shouldn't this be "merged" with the other anti-Golden Compass threads?

Old 11-01-2007, 04:07 PM

255 posts, read 608,127 times
I'd heard of the books, but haven't yet read them, nor have my kids. (Not because I forbid them to, but just because they haven't picked them up yet.)

My son did say that his reading group is supposed to be reading The Golden Compass soon. I think I'll read it myself so I know if there is anything I need to discuss with him.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:18 PM

9 posts, read 28,129 times
Default Dear b. frank

I guess so, except first: I didn't know there was an ant-Golden Compass thread (and what's a thread), and second:I don't really know how to work this form thing, but thanks.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:22 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,264,375 times
What's the difference between the premise of your post and what christians do all the time, push their belief system on everyone they possibly can?

If you don't want your kids to attend a movie, tell them no. You're the parent, take responsibility for your children. If you can't or won't guide your kids, why did you have them?

For heaven's sake, this is a non-issue.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:55 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,613,553 times
You've got to admit that virtually everyone accepts the idea of teaching young children that there's a God and getting them started in the faith of their family. I don't know that it's such a radical idea to give them another point of view. My real opinion is that we should not be pushing any particular beliefs on young children in an aggresive manner. I think we should let them learn to think for themselves and follow their own path. I often feel that parents who feel very strongly about religion or even about atheism will try to force their children to think just like they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality