Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 06:59 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,753,572 times

Advertisements

Just thought I'd pass this along to the parents here. I'm not big on boycotts, but this is one movie I'll skip. Urban Legends Reference Pages: The Golden Compass )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 07:08 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,066,646 times
Funny thing is Nicole is a Catholic.

"the Catholic Church is part of my essence. I wouldn't be able to do this film if I thought it were at all anti-Catholic".

The Golden Compass | The Golden Compass | Movie Preview | Movies | Fall Movies Preview | Entertainment Weekly

Old 10-30-2007, 07:11 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,882,577 times
I saw this in an email and my first reaction was 'Nah, this is fake', but apprently not.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Ms. Charlotte.

An excerpt of what I received:

Quote:
It is the first movie of a trilogy based on book series. The author is an atheist and is admittingly trying to influence children against God in a very sly way. According to the author, he is trying to "kill God in the eyes of children." I read this and was completely shocked. I had not heard of this movie, but it stars Nicole Kidman so I'm sure it will get a lot of publicity.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:19 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,753,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Funny thing is Nicole is a Catholic.

"the Catholic Church is part of my essence. I wouldn't be able to do this film if I thought it were at all anti-Catholic".

The Golden Compass | The Golden Compass | Movie Preview | Movies | Fall Movies Preview | Entertainment Weekly
Oh, well since Nicole Kidman said it (star of the movie), it must be true.

Because, you know, celebrities usually have so much integrity.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:27 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,454,679 times
So... I don't understand why you wouldn't let your kids see it? It seems to me that it would really serve a purpose to show them all of the encounters they might face with their professed faith, no?

Old 10-30-2007, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
So... I don't understand why you wouldn't let your kids see it? It seems to me that it would really serve a purpose to show them all of the encounters they might face with their professed faith, no?
Somehow, that response just didn't surprise me.LOL

Old 10-30-2007, 07:33 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,454,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Somehow, that response just didn't surprise me.LOL
Haha, no I meant that seriously. Is it really faith if you haven't examined all of the options or at least been made aware of them? Or is it subtle indoctrination?

Old 10-30-2007, 07:48 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,066,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
Oh, well since Nicole Kidman said it (star of the movie), it must be true.

Because, you know, celebrities usually have so much integrity.
I've never met Nicole so I can't truly comment on her integrity.

The link below indicates it has been watered down to suit the faithful..

Now the director not only has to worry about the religious folks but now has to worry about offending the atheists..

too funny.

Critics Slam 'Golden Compass' Movie for 'Castrating' Anti-Church Themes | Christianpost.com

Old 10-30-2007, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Haha, no I meant that seriously. Is it really faith if you haven't examined all of the options or at least been made aware of them? Or is it subtle indoctrination?
If I remember correctly, you don't have kids, but lets pretend you did.

Would you go let them see a movie who's primary message was 'Believe this way or burn in hell forever'?

Cuz if you wouldn't, then you understand this stance.

I don't remember any of the Jesus films taking a 'You're going to hell' stance so many kids have seen the films that depict the gospels. But no, I wouldn't want my kids watching a movie whose goal is "to kill God in the eyes of children." Matter of fact, I'm not sure if I was an atheist I'd want my kids watching something like that. It appears to be a subtle way of brain washing kids into what the author wants them to believe.

You can call it 'subtle indoctrination', I call it 'parenting'.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:02 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,381,613 times
I'm pretty interested in this movie - not for anything to do with religion.
It's based on a book that I like.
Side note: I also wanted to see Chronicles of Narnia until I read so much about its underlying Christian message. I want none of that in my favorite childrens' adventure tales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality