U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 10:16 PM

4,147 posts, read 10,074,658 times

Advertisements

For some that don't wish to wade through a lot of reading, here is some information from gurus:

Quote:
Swami Prabhavananda of the Vedanta Society (Ramakrisha Order) warns about the dangers of yogic breathing exercises in his book, Yoga and Mysticism:

"Now we come to breathing exercises. Let me caution you: they can be very dangerous. Unless properly done, there is a good chance of injuring the brain. And those who practice such breathing without proper supervision can suffer a disease which no known science or doctor can cure. It is impossible even for a medical person to diagnose such an illness."

Shree Purohit Swami’s Commentary on Pantanjali’s Yoga Sutras warns:

"In India and Europe, I came across some three hundred people who suffered permanently from wrong practices. The doctors, upon examination, found there was nothing organically wrong and consequently could not prescribe treatment."

United Nations spiritual adviser and spiritist Sri Chinmoy, author of Yoga and the Spiritual Life, observes: "To practice pranayama without real guidance is very dangerous. I know of three persons who have died from it."

Hans-Ulrich Rieker admonishes in The Yoga of Light: "Yoga is not a trifling jest if we consider that any misunderstanding in the practice of yoga can mean death or insanity," and that in kundalini yoga, if the breath or prana is "prematurely exhausted [exhaled] there is immediate danger of death for the yogi."

Gopi Krishna, another yoga authority, also warns of the possible dangers of yoga practice, including "drastic effects" on the central nervous system and the possibility of death. Gopi Krishna, "The True Aim of Yoga," Psychic, January-February, 1973, p. 13.

The standard authority on hatha yoga, The Hatha Yoga Pradipika (Chapter 2, verse 15), cautions: "Just as lions, elephants, and tigers are tamed, so the prana [breath; actually prana is the alleged divine energy underlying the breath] should be kept under control. Otherwise it can kill the practitioner."

Hindu master Sri Krishna Prem cautions in The Yoga of the Bhagavat Gita: "As stated before, nothing but dangerous, mediumistic psychisms or neurotic dissociations of personality can result from the practice of [yoga] meditation without the qualifications mentioned at the end of the last chapter." He warns, "To practice it, as many do, out of curiosity... is a mistake which is punished with futility, neurosis, or worse [‘even insanity itself’]."

Swami Prabhavananda’s Yoga and Mysticism lists brain injury, incurable diseases, and insanity as potential hazards of wrong yoga practice; Ulrich-Rieker author of The Yoga of Light lists cancer of the throat, all sorts of ailments, blackouts, strange trance states, or insanity from even "the slightest mistake."

In The Seven Schools of Yoga, Ernest Wood warns of "the imminent risk of most serious bodily disorder, disease, and even madness."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 10:50 PM

7,463 posts, read 7,062,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post

For some that don't wish to wade through a lot of reading,
The article that I clicked on in your previous link is very long, but it is on my "to read" list for tomorrow! I am really interested in what I began to read, and will read it in it's entirety tomorrow. (When I'm a bit more awake!)

But thanks, Jessaka! I'll get back to you on this one, for certain!

Take gentle care,
-June

Old 11-02-2007, 01:40 AM

49,729 posts, read 46,804,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
This makes no sense to me.
You say meditation can be bad because it didn't save a zen guru from cancer and also because lots of people in your church beat cancer?
Huh?
frank
i reread my post 4 times. i keep trying to find your quote where i say meditation can be bad, i just cannt find it.
if i had said that that would imply that i know what is best for you.
i would never do that.
all my statements in the post are about me frank.
sorry to have upset you.
thanks

Old 11-02-2007, 07:21 AM

3,684 posts, read 8,418,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
This makes no sense to me.
You say meditation can be bad because it didn't save a zen guru from cancer and also because lots of people in your church beat cancer?
Huh?
He didn't say it's bad he said it has it's limitations, he said people in his church have been healed with medical care as well.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:41 PM

2,955 posts, read 4,947,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
frank
i reread my post 4 times. i keep trying to find your quote where i say meditation can be bad, i just cannt find it.
if i had said that that would imply that i know what is best for you.
i would never do that.
all my statements in the post are about me frank.
sorry to have upset you.
thanks
I was never upset - just confused.
I know you didn't expressly say that meditation is bad but I inferred that because your post seemed like an answer to the OP: "Can Meditation Be Bad For You?"
It looked like your answer was "Yes, and here's why..."
Personally, I don't feel very strongly about it but I do believe that proper meditation is always helpful. I wouldn't count on it to cure cancer, though.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:54 PM

3,086 posts, read 4,024,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Interesting article about it. I have never heard some of the "cons" about it.
As a Christian, I am not interested in that type of meditation. Maybe this sounds ridiculous to some, but I'm gonna say it anyway I think that this type of meditation could possible open someone to the demonic realm.
Very interesting article, jessaka..I hadn't heard about the cons either... And I agree with you, kaykay..

Old 11-02-2007, 01:05 PM

2,955 posts, read 4,947,184 times
For Christians who believe that meditation may open one's mind to evil spirits you should note that meditation is the closest thing to prayer that some people will ever have.
It can serve the same function: expressing and affirming one's will in a quiet, personal way helps one to define and achieve their goals.
The fact that you believe that meditators are opening their minds to the devil highlights the fact that nontheists and Christians can never fully connect (the band and the music are automatically, constantly separated so to speak).
How could someone who does not believe in god, but who achieves serenity through meditation ever "tolerate" the notion that their peace is a result of being possessed by the devil?

Old 11-02-2007, 02:18 PM

3,540 posts, read 4,234,602 times
For those of you that like reading, here is a link that speaks to the "limitations" of unguided revelation.
Even if your not fond of Catholic doctrine, you may find some pearls

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Private Revelations

Old 11-02-2007, 07:31 PM

3,163 posts, read 7,777,346 times
Well, I guess that every human being is different, not all religions encourage meditation, most christians don't meditate for example.

if you feel meditation is not for you then you can look for another method that suits you better.

if you feel meditation is a godsend and that nothing makes you feel better in the world then do it with all your strenght

Old 11-02-2007, 07:39 PM

3,163 posts, read 7,777,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Interesting article about it. I have never heard some of the "cons" about it.
As a Christian, I am not interested in that type of meditation. Maybe this sounds ridiculous to some, but I'm gonna say it anyway I think that this type of meditation could possible open someone to the demonic realm.
well, most people who meditate try to cross the spiritual eye and enter to the astral plane or the causal plane in the case of the most advanced.

the astral plane is a dimension composed of light and energy with much less restrictions, we visit this realm unconsciously when we dream and we go here when we die too imho

in this realm you have angels, fairies, dragons and most mythological beings, there are some parts that have demons too, when you die, depending on your karma you go to a nice place full of blessings or a place where demonic beings live, access is restricted in the places where demons dwell so if you are able to enter to the astral plane by meditation it's impossible for you to end there. imho

however mediums and those people who practice espiritism, might fall prey of these demons so be careful with that. imhno
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality