Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2007, 07:22 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times

Advertisements

Interesting Oprah today (don't know about stateside airing), apparently there's a doctor who frequents the show. He was talking about the health benefits of meditation, chi gung and tai chi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 05:32 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
I have thought a lot about what June has written. I had also had the idea in the past that TM caused the problems, which I had considered to me only mantra meditation. But, when I think about all that has been written here, I realize that neither Singer's or other people's books have explained what type of meditation these people had been doing before they had problems. For one thing, intensive certainly does cause problems for many Westerners and so does pranayama, which is controlled breathing, but mantra meditation alone does not cause problems, and neither would Buddhist meditation where you just watch your breath. And as Dr. Singer said, 20 minutes a day is not harmful. So I am thinking that it has to do with the type of meditation and the length of meditation as well as the person who meditates.

As a result I sat down and meditated yesterday using the Buddhist technique, and I remained in peace for 20 or more minutes.

Old 11-10-2007, 06:01 AM

7,995 posts, read 12,269,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post

As a result I sat down and meditated yesterday using the Buddhist technique, and I remained in peace for 20 or more minutes.
Just sit. Concentrate on your breathing like Chielgirl said/does. You don't need to have an "agenda." It defeats the purposed. Just focus on your breathing; redirect your thoughts back to your breathing when they wander. 20 minutes. That's all.

Old 11-10-2007, 06:32 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,434,007 times
I'd like to add some kind suggestions if you allow me

1 Jessaka brought to our attention that when you meditate, you are messing with strong spiritual forces and tapping into some unknown areas of your mind specially with the most powerful techniques, so you should start slowly with the most basic ones first, do it responsibly and being guided by an experienced friend, monk or if you have psychological problems such as depression, etc. seek the help and advice of a psychologist/psychiatrist who is into the same meditation practices (they exist)

2 Not because some people have had bad experiences with meditation you should be afraid of it, more people has had positive esperiences with it, just do it wisely, the same phillosopy applies for everything, if you are starting to work out at a gym and after a week you start doing advanced excercises which can be risky or putting tons of weight, much more that you can handle it's obvious that instead of being good for your health you risk ending seriously injured.

3 don't combine drugs and meditation, that equation has led to insanity lots of people! although some people have beaten that addiction by meditation practices too if you have a problem with substance abuse seek the help of a psychologist/psychiatrist first who can avail you, and maybe suggest you meditation techniques that have a very low risk but will give you enough peace of mind and inner strenght to conquer your inner demons.

Love and Light!

Last edited by Travelling fella; 11-10-2007 at 06:41 AM..

Old 11-10-2007, 02:46 PM

I am using my Buddhist techniques as taught to me by my Buddhist teacher. I will never go back to doing any pranayama.

Old 11-10-2007, 03:44 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,434,007 times
Quote:
I am using my Buddhist techniques as taught to me by my Buddhist teacher. I will never go back to doing any pranayama.
Dear Jessaka, if that is working for you, then it's the best and wisest decision you could have taken, I hope that you continue travelling on the path of your choice until the end!

in my personal case, Pranayama is a Godsend, it might be because I like strong stuff

see you in nirvana (someday)

Peace, Love, Light and Harmony

Last edited by Travelling fella; 11-10-2007 at 03:55 PM..

Old 11-10-2007, 03:53 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,269,337 times
Default You go girl!

Quote:
Just: breathing!

Old 07-24-2009, 05:26 AM

More information on the dangers of meditation

Down The Crooked Path--Dangers of Meditation (http://jessaka-downthecrookedpath.blogspot.com/ - broken link)

http://urbanecohermit.blogspot.com/2...editation.html

http://www.heartseva.com/

I just think that it is important that people are warned, so that they can make their own decisions on whether to meditate or not instead of being told that it is safe and always peaceful. They also need to meditate under the instruction of a good teacher.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:51 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
????
Blog entries, really.

You do not take into consideration that christians, jews, and all religions have members who commit suicide.
Nor do you offer the same comment for all religious practice, not just meditation.
I find christian zealots to be much more dangerous to themselves and others.

Your first link does nothing to associate the suicide with the meditation practice.
I meditated a lot in the 1970s and thought I was superior to those who didn't. Thankfully I didn't have a breakdown
This simply shows that the person has a big ego.

As far as the suicide: I, too, have done long retreats, with a different experience.

From your second link:
On a more serious note, I've noticed a couple folks who went "over the deep end" while obsessing about religion.
Why do you mention meditation only?
This can be any religious practice...

Kundalini is not mainstream meditation, and to learn, you're most likely going to have a teacher.
You chose something somewhat obscure within the meditation world to show your fear about.

I'm seriously interested in why you think meditation is any more dangerous than anything else?
What's your real objective here?

Old 07-24-2009, 04:26 PM

The real objective here is to warn others of the dangers, which is why I started the thread in the first place. Suicide is rare in meditation, as is psychosis, but if you had read everything on those websites, you would find that many meditators end up on therapy as a result of meditation. It isn't always dangerous, but it isn't just dangerous for those that have a history of mental illness in their family or in themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality