Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 10:56 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,096 times

Advertisements

I don't care how you define (or avoid defining) "God", I'm an atheist because I see no reason to believe in a conscious being that created and controls our world.

I don't care about any empty pseudo-concept of "any God" that equals literally whatever inscrutable, undefined things/actions that led to our world as we know it today. This means that "God" is meaningless - it cannot be defined! A word must be defined for it to have meaning. So using this to say that the universe is "evidence for God" is saying that it's evidence for something that has no meaning (other than speculative personal beliefs, of course).

Don't get me wrong - that's not to say it's not something, but we can't define it and thus our use of the word has no meaning (other than speculative beliefs). All we can say is "things happened that ultimately caused our world to be as it is today.. but I don't know what they are."

This "evidence for God" (or rather, pseudo-god shell) is a straw man when used against atheism, because atheism does not mean denying the fact that there are unknown parts of the universe that we can't define.

So no more word games. Give me evidence for "God consciousness" - if you have it. Otherwise, you have no evidence against my atheism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 11:12 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
This looks like a spin -off from the naturist god thread (now being moderated).

Although I was arguing against the idea there, it isn't that I'm vehemently opposed to the idea of intelligent nature as such. Even if it was shown that there is reason to believe that there is some kind of forward - planning mind behind it all, that only moves the debate onto 'If a god - which one?' and the various denominations can try to thrash out which one is the one (or ones) we should all believe in and then I would ask 'Why?'

Ok, it's nice to know what's what, but really, so what? Accepting that there's a first cause with forward-planning abilities isn't going to get me into a church or mosque or doing anything different to what I'm doing.

However, the point of the thread is that we are a long, long way from accepting any such thing. The arguments for anything of that kind turn out - when eventially they are painfully extracted from the believer like bowels being slowly wound out of a tortured heretic - to be the usual personal conviction and blind faith.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:27 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,839,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
This looks like a spin -off from the naturist god thread (now being moderated).

Although I was arguing against the idea there, it isn't that I'm vehemently opposed to the idea of intelligent nature as such. Even if it was shown that there is reason to believe that there is some kind of forward - planning mind behind it all, that only moves the debate onto 'If a god - which one?' and the various denominations can try to thrash out which one is the one (or ones) we should all believe in and then I would ask 'Why?'

Ok, it's nice to know what's what, but really, so what? Accepting that there's a first cause with forward-planning abilities isn't going to get me into a church or mosque or doing anything different to what I'm doing.

However, the point of the thread is that we are a long, long way from accepting any such thing. The arguments for anything of that kind turn out - when eventially they are painfully extracted from the believer like bowels being slowly wound out of a tortured heretic - to be the usual personal conviction and blind faith.

Your reputation is at 444. What does that mean?

Old 06-23-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
The evidence of "God consciousness" is indicated by the hundreds of millions of people that contemplate it.
How does contemplating a hypothetical concept make that concept true?

I guess you've proved aliens, bigfoot, the loch ness monster, etc. too then, if all it takes is for a large group of people to contemplate their existence.

Quote:
The ones that have personal evidence it exists...have their "proof"...and, of course, will discuss something of such great importance at length.

The ones who claim it doesn't exist are even better indirect/circumstantial evidence for it. In that...why would soooooo many people be soooooo consumed by something that doesn't exist, that they would spend hundreds/thousands of hours of their precious life discussing and agonizing over the matter?

I submit...it is either:
1. It does exist...and thus all are compelled to discuss/contemplate it. (Of this I am certain)
There are many atheists (and theists) that don't discuss or contemplate "God" at all, whatsoever.

Besides, compulsion to discuss/contemplate a hypothetical concept does not make the concept true.

Quote:
Moderator cut: Orphaned
Ok, in this #2 scenario, a "God consciousness" doesn't actually exist, yet hundreds of millions of theists continue to insist to atheists that it does, and the atheists simply counter those fallacious arguments - How does that make the atheist mentally ill and the theist sensible?

Last edited by june 7th; 06-24-2010 at 06:45 AM..

Old 06-23-2010, 12:53 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
I don't care how you define (or avoid defining) "God", I'm an atheist because I see no reason to believe in a conscious being that created and controls our world.

I don't care about any empty pseudo-concept of "any God" that equals literally whatever inscrutable, undefined things/actions that led to our world as we know it today. This means that "God" is meaningless - it cannot be defined! A word must be defined for it to have meaning. So using this to say that the universe is "evidence for God" is saying that it's evidence for something that has no meaning (other than speculative personal beliefs, of course).

Don't get me wrong - that's not to say it's not something, but we can't define it and thus our use of the word has no meaning (other than speculative beliefs). All we can say is "things happened that ultimately caused our world to be as it is today.. but I don't know what they are."

This "evidence for God" (or rather, pseudo-god shell) is a straw man when used against atheism, because atheism does not mean denying the fact that there are unknown parts of the universe that we can't define.

So no more word games. Give me evidence for "God consciousness" - if you have it. Otherwise, you have no evidence against my atheism.
I'm with you on this subject Logic. To attribute all the unknowns about our universe, creation and life to a god or god consciousness is just pure speculation and conjecture on our parts. While I don't fall into the athiest camp, I can understand why you take that position. I am more agnostic and humble enough to admit that I just don't know one way or the other....the evidence at hand could go either way and to definitively declare non-existence over existence or vice versa seems kind of foolish to me given that we really don't know anything for certain and without any doubt whatsoever...but I respect where you're coming from anyway.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I'm with you on this subject Logic. To attribute all the unknowns about our universe, creation and life to a god or god consciousness is just pure speculation and conjecture on our parts. While I don't fall into the athiest camp, I can understand why you take that position. I am more agnostic and humble enough to admit that I just don't know one way or the other....the evidence at hand could go either way and to definitively declare non-existence over existence or vice versa seems kind of foolish to me given that we really don't know anything for certain and without any doubt whatsoever...but I respect where you're coming from anyway.
I completely agree. I too am agnostic to as to whether this "God consciousness" exists. Saying I'm atheist only means I don't believe in it - a position of skepticism. I do not mean that I am certain it doesn't exist.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
I completely agree. I too am agnostic to as to whether this "God consciousness" exists. Saying I'm atheist only means I don't believe in it - a position of skepticism. I do not mean that I am certain it doesn't exist.

Non-existence is as good as existence. We have to go the wholeness in the Hole.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:10 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
That's why I favor the term 'agnostic atheist'

Old 06-23-2010, 01:13 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
Exactly. 'Agnostic atheist' is the term I prefer to apply to myself, and for the same reasons.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:14 PM

But if I lose the ego for Consciousness, I become... AAAh, God exists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality