Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2007, 01:21 AM

149 posts, read 385,733 times

Advertisements

There needs to be some common sense displayed in this forum in particular. Unlike religious leaders, we should not try to use force or hatered to to demonstrate our points, but rather logic and patience.

I just find it astonishing that in arguably the most developed, wealthiest, and most prominent nation in the world, that the actuality of evolution, genetics (in regards to the causes of homosexuality), and science can be questioned, while the unsubstanciated claims in the bible are almost universally accepted.

I'll use the analogy I saw someone else use on here--If the world were a highschool, America would, arguably be the big, rich, dumb jock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 08:37 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,588,072 times
mams wrote:
Quote:
Once again, pick on my choice of words What I was trying to get across was that marine fossils are found in mountains at very high elevations where no seas are currently. Again, I believe this is the result of the global, year long Noachian flood. Other's believe it was because the crust was pushed up by plate tectonics/continental drift over millions plus years
The problem with your thinking is that the amount of sediments that could accumulate in a year are miniscule. We see very deep deposits of ocean floor sediments that clearly have taken millions of years to accumulate and now they're embedded in sediments in mountain ranges and are often buried under thick layers of other sediments that are not marine sediments which also took great periods of time to occur. The process of plate tektonics can actually be measured and the time scales are in the range of hundreds of millions of years. The building of mountain ranges is a slow steady process that is driven by the pressures of the tektonic plates as one slides under another at their boundary which causes the uplifting of the earth's crust.
Here's another really simple geologic process that is easy to understand. Consider the rounded and smooth shape of river rock. Of course everyone knows that it's caused by the action of the water as it wears down the rock. If you see a river that has newer rocks as the result of a landslide or whatever you'll see that they're not yet smooth and rounded even if they're been there for decades. It's been calculated that it takes about twenty five thousand years of constant water action to produce a river rock. That's such a simple thing to understand and it obviously contradicts the 6,000 scenario that you won't let go of. Mams, just have an open mind on the age of the earth and consider the merits of what some of us are trying to communicate. I know you're intelligent, I just feel like you're really stuck on this young earth thing.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:14 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,782,640 times
I'm not stuck anywhere. I know exactly what I believe and why. I am able to see the other side's point of view. It's just funny (to me, & not in a "ha ha" sort of way) that the other side cannot see my point of view. I guess the other side does a better job of brainwashing and indoctrination in evolutionary concepts and a better job of obscuring anything and everything that may question their deeply held beliefs in evolution.

Blessings to all

Old 11-11-2007, 12:31 PM

5 posts, read 37,108 times
Myth? What a sad statement to make! It amazes me how people are so against God and The Word (Bible) As if they can explain exactly how we were created...It is a miracle beyond any human mind could create! God Bless You Ducksburg! You may want to read "Case for Christ" An athesist journalist who set out to prove God didn't exsist...Sorry He couldn't!! Good Day to you!

Old 11-11-2007, 12:50 PM

116 posts, read 282,376 times
d the books of John Loftus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belleza Salon & Day Spa View Post
You may want to read "Case for Christ" An athesist journalist who set out to prove God didn't exsist...Sorry He couldn't!! Good Day to you!
You might like to read the books of John Loftus, a well known professional bible apologist that has spent half his life defending Christianity.....only to come to the conclusion that he was wrong!

Good day to you too!

Old 11-11-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
I'm not stuck anywhere. I know exactly what I believe and why. I am able to see the other side's point of view. It's just funny (to me, & not in a "ha ha" sort of way) that the other side cannot see my point of view. I guess the other side does a better job of brainwashing and indoctrination in evolutionary concepts and a better job of obscuring anything and everything that may question their deeply held beliefs in evolution.

Blessings to all
Sweet heart, it's not that the "other side" brainwashes or indoctrinates (that's actually a virtue of religions, and has been since their inception). Instead, science, logic, and free thought are really not only common sense, but are backed by empirical evidence that supports their arguments.

Why do you insist upon delegating evolution to a "belief"? It seems you've got it twisted - evolution is not a belief at all, rather it is a theory that has mountain upon mountain of evidence which supports it.

I'm sorry, but there is just no such evidence for creationism.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belleza Salon & Day Spa View Post
Myth? What a sad statement to make! It amazes me how people are so against God and The Word (Bible) As if they can explain exactly how we were created...It is a miracle beyond any human mind could create! God Bless You Ducksburg! You may want to read "Case for Christ" An athesist journalist who set out to prove God didn't exsist...Sorry He couldn't!! Good Day to you!
Maybe because this is a free country and people can believe in what they want - what's so "amazing" about that? I don't believe in the conventional Christian god or the bible (a plaigarized fraud with no contemporary evidence).

You say that it is a "miracle" that we're here typing this message. I'd agree with you. We've yet to find another planet suitable for life anywhere near our solar system, and the chances of Earth developing in such a way that would support life was slim.

Additionally, the fact that the one sperm and one egg that combined to create us as individuals is also was a 1 in several million odds.

However, this does not prove there's a god.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:13 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,588,072 times
Mams wrote:
Quote:
I'm not stuck anywhere. I know exactly what I believe and why.
I just thought I'd give it a try. Still, you haven't explained so many lines of evidence that prove the earth is ancient. Even my simple river rock example presents a problem for young earth believers.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:26 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,432,988 times
I suppose what is most confusing to me is that people accuse science of indoctrinating and brainwashing people. What bothers me about this is that people imply that there is/are scientific organization(s) that have all banded together around the world in some sort of conspiracy to disprove God. Ration and logic give us a good idea that God does not exist. Again, as I often claim, the one claiming the outrageous must provide substantial evidence for their argument. In that aspect, you have ration and logic coupled with independent, agendaless science, to give us an even better idea that god does not in fact exist.

Not only that, but forget about scientific work done here in America where people think that the lines of science may cross some sort of moral boundary in "attempting" to prove or disprove God. There are many countries around the world that have also provided their own independent research and come to the same conclusions. Why would researchers in Japan (a largely non-Christian country) perform scientific experimentations with an agenda to disprove the Christian god? I see Creationism as being a little self-centered in this argument, in that they think that science, because it disproves the Bible, must have an enormous conspiracy set up to disprove the bible. Please, tell me, how would this conspiracy work? How would it start? Has any scientist who has ever converted to Creationism even claimed that there is a conspiracy-like organization held within the scientific communities to oust the theories of the Bible?

Even if you want to suggest that every scientist in America was a part of some "guild" to prove that the Creationist Bible was wrong it does not account for the largely non-Christian countries across the world that have done their own independent, verifiable research.

As I said in another post, questioning the works of science does not bother me. In fact, that's what makes science so special. However, nowhere in scientific history can I find that any theory has been overthrown without substantial proof. You just can't walk into Harvard or MIT and say: "Hey guys I know you're wrong about this theory, I don't have any sort of meaninful evidence to suggest otherwise, and any research I have done is an alteration of scientific research that has already been done." That is why Creationists are laughed at, and out, of judicial hearings. As I said before, claiming the outrageous requires a burden of proof. No one is mad because Creationism questions science. People, especially doctors and scientists held in such high regard, take offense to the fact that they are called liars with no such supporting evidence to prove it. Again, most doctors and scientists don't worry if someone is performing testing to try and disprove one of their theories. That is how science builds upon itself. All they're asking for us a little scientific method on how you came to that conclusion. As I also said in another post, the scientific method does not include "magic". "Magic" is just an excuse for explaining the unknown but gives us no answers. "How does cancer work?" MAGIC! "How does nuclear physics work?" MAGIC! If we included magic into the scientific method, I'm afraid we'd still be burying goat urine in the ground to soothe certain ailments just as we did in the 13th century.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:04 AM

The burden of proof is on those who believe in something with no empirical evidence to back up their claims, not those with tested scientific hypotheses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality