U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-01-2007, 11:13 PM

740 posts, read 1,300,379 times
Default Does the Bible really say homosexuals won’t go to heaven?

I believe an effective Christian is one who knows the facts of what he is debating; knowledge of your opponents stand on an issue will help you respond to his objections – but there are times when people refuse to listen to logic, history, tradition and polls. At that point we must utilize what should always be our first and last line of defense, God’s word and will; which they are still free to accept or reject. But what does God say?

Click here: LiveAsIf.org - Point of Reference - Does the Bible really say homosexuals won’t go to heaven?

In the beginning, God made man in His image as male and female components of a whole; blessing them with compatibility and “fruitfulness.” Genesis 1:26-28 Not yet perfect, they were none-the-less instructed in holiness; unable to achieve sinlessness, they foreshadowed what was to come as, “We all stumble in many ways.” James 3:2 (The telling difference lies between those who fail in the attempt and those who actively rebel and refuse to even try.) We tend to lose our focus, being drawn away from that which should be central to our lives; either because of a lack of knowledge, immaturity or an unwillingness to understand. Besides which there is an “otherness” about God that makes him somewhat alien to us, beyond our reasoning and ability to fully comprehend. (Is. 55:8) Yet even as he has done his part to bridge that gap, there are times when we must be willing to submit our wills to his and trust that he knows best, loves most and wants to work all things for our benefit; even as we struggle to recognize it. “Good and upright is the Lord; therefore he instructs sinners in his ways. He guides the humble in what is right and teaches them his ways. All the ways of the Lord are loving and faithful for those who keep the demands of his covenant.” Psalm 25:8-10 For “There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death.” Proverbs 14:12

Paul laments that, “Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things (listed in the previous verses) deserve death, they not only continue to do those very things but also approve of those who practice them.” Romans 1:32 Not merely content to live as they please, they actively encourage others to heed their example and applaud those who follow their lead; attempting to silence and shame those who would hold to the truth of the Gospel.

Let me hasten to point out that God condemns the practice of all the vices listed in Romans 1, not just the abandonment of natural relations between men and women for the perversion of same-sex or multi-partner unions; a variety of sexually transmitted diseases being, in part, the “due penalty” for such behavior. (Romans 1:27) Many today use God’s undying love for mankind as a salve to their conscience; believing him incapable of punishing their sin as a result of that love. Believing he made them as they are in every way, they fail to recognize the opportunities we have – through our freedom to choose – to do wrong; earning his disfavor. Did he make the rapist, the murderer, the thief, the drunk? We all may have pre-dispositions to lust, anger or greed – but we choose whether we give in to those contrary enticements or conquer them through Christ’s power and the instruction of His word.

God’s will is plainly conveyed in that word. Leviticus 18 deals with a number of sexual prohibitions including incest, Leviticus 18:6; adultery, Leviticus 18:20; homosexuality, Leviticus 18:22 and bestiality, Leviticus 18:23; describing them as defilements, dishonorable, detestable and perversions. The record of God’s judgment on Sodom and Gomorrah, whose sin was considered great and grievous (Genesis 18:20), mirrored the world’s condition prior to the flood when men’s wickedness permeated all his thoughts and actions (Genesis 6:5) serving as ample warning to wayward men today. Sin was rampant in that environment and expressed itself by rebelling against God’s purpose at the most basic level of human relationships; and God can’t – won’t – accept, tolerate, condone or forgive without remorse, repentance and change. (See Habakkuk 1:13) Anyone who says otherwise sets himself against scripture, against nature, against God.

1Joel Belz, Publisher of World Magazine – Feb. 28,2004

Old 11-02-2007, 12:16 PM

2,955 posts, read 4,881,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcwife View Post
I believe an effective Christian is one who knows the facts of what he is debating; knowledge of your opponents stand on an issue will help you respond to his objections – but there are times when people refuse to listen to logic, history, tradition and polls.
The problem is that even Christians who are in the know will not agree on the facts - hence the debate.
I can't even count how many times this has been brought up on this forum by an intelligent Christian who has definitive Biblical proof of their point of view.
Also, what do polls have to do with anything?

Old 11-02-2007, 06:13 PM

2,639 posts, read 4,490,777 times
If God is all loving like He is said to be then he will love homosexuals too and therefore they will go to Heaven. What I don't get is people who say that God is all loving but then say that homosexuals will go to hell when they're not hurting anyone and can still be good, kind, loving human beings at the same time. It's a complete contradiction.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:57 PM

3,773 posts, read 6,824,720 times
They are hurting God by living in their sin Anyone who continues living in their sin deems their sin more important than God. God detests sin of any kind,but when we turn from that sin and focus on Him and repent with a true heart we seek to enter into His eternal Kingdom.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:10 PM

640 posts, read 27,158 times
I decided a while ago to worry about my own salvation and eternity before I begin to think someone else may or may not be going to Heaven. Not long ago I would have said just the opposite. It's not to say that I don't care about everyone because I do. I just think that I can't judge anyone based on my own religious beliefs. Who knows ~ the joke may be on me!

Old 11-02-2007, 08:14 PM

2,408 posts, read 7,265,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycew02 View Post
If God is all loving like He is said to be then he will love homosexuals too and therefore they will go to Heaven. What I don't get is people who say that God is all loving but then say that homosexuals will go to hell when they're not hurting anyone and can still be good, kind, loving human beings at the same time. It's a complete contradiction.
Well, for one, not all Christians don't believe that God is all loving and that's the end of it. Most Christians believe God is all loving but intolerant of sin. Being a good kind loving human being has nothing to do with getting into heaven or not. Accepting Christ's gift of grace is the means to salvation.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:14 PM

2,181 posts, read 3,727,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
They are hurting God by living in their sin Anyone who continues living in their sin deems their sin more important than God. God detests sin of any kind,but when we turn from that sin and focus on Him and repent with a true heart we seek to enter into His eternal Kingdom.
And what sin would it be that I'm living in, Noland?

Old 11-02-2007, 09:29 PM

7,768 posts, read 9,459,505 times
Duplicate threads on this subject are already in existence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.