Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 01:26 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
There is no such thing as "liberal" Christianity. You either are a Christian or you are not. Plain and simple. There are no gray areas.
Spoken like a true dye-in-the-wool fundamentalist Christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 06:37 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
Your commenting throughout has been noticed and understood well enough, there is nothing I can add to whats been told.
OK, that's probably for the best, and I should be grateful.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:58 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
More bald-faced assertions wthout substance or support . . . followed by almost incomprehensible and unrelated blatherings that seem to have no relevance to the topic or the issues. Defend your assertion that Christ focused His disciples on "love of God and each other" is a falsity.
Quote:
The teachings and directives well explained, are easy to understand and reach out into adult life. As a matter of truth, the powerful alert was told to adults in the presence of the simple joyful ones.
To blatantly reject guidelines, while at the same time emphasizing peace and the outcome, out of these standards making possible love thy neighbor is illogical, and not only a contradiction in the belief system but also contradicts basic psychology.
Its not the 1000's of years of study which needs defending, its this new idea that suggests this drug style love love love in its very unreal baseless idea which needs defending.
Peace is an outcome in doing and planning a persons best, in these area's, and its logical deservedness. Thats the teaching. Very simple stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Just to single out ONE unintelligible sentence out of many--exactly WTF is the bolded, underlined sentence up there supposed to mean?
This is what is called "word salad". You're just stringing words together but they make no sense. Is this some kind of game?
Unfortunately, I do not think it is a game, MightyQueen. Stargazzer seems quite sincere . . . but the language differences are almost insurmountable. I still try my best to understand his posts . . . but it remains a difficult if not impossible task.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:18 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Unfortunately, I do not think it is a game, MightyQueen. Stargazzer seems quite sincere . . . but the language differences are almost insurmountable. I still try my best to understand his posts . . . but it remains a difficult if not impossible task.
Yes, I realize now that there seems to be a serious problem. I was hasty in assuming he was writing that way just to be obnoxious, and I will not respond to him anymore.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:29 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Having grown up fundamentalist, I've tried to understand liberal Christianity and have went to liberal chuches but haven't been able to embrace it. Liberal Christianity does get some things right but from my experience it goes too far in its attempt to be politically correct that it denies the essentials of the faith. I think its difficult for those who grow up fundamentalist to understand liberal Christianity. You have to be conditioned to that way of thinking to really get it. Likewise, people conditioned to liberal sects of the faith simply do not understand fundamentalists or why they believe the way they do. For many who grew up conservative, liberal Christianity is simply a gateway to atheism.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:03 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801
Just to single out ONE unintelligible sentence out of many--exactly WTF is the bolded, underlined sentence up there supposed to mean?

This is what is called "word salad". You're just stringing words together but they make no sense. Is this some kind of game?

Quote:
Your commenting throughout has been noticed and understood well enough, there is nothing I can add to whats been told.
Even though Mightyqueen was unaware of a language barrier, you should be as it has been pointed out before. When such a question has been posed, regardless of the manner, it would be helpful if you would try to express your thought in other words.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:21 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Having grown up fundamentalist, I've tried to understand liberal Christianity and have went to liberal chuches but haven't been able to embrace it. Liberal Christianity does get some things right but from my experience it goes too far in its attempt to be politically correct that it denies the essentials of the faith. I think its difficult for those who grow up fundamentalist to understand liberal Christianity. You have to be conditioned to that way of thinking to really get it. Likewise, people conditioned to liberal sects of the faith simply do not understand fundamentalists or why they believe the way they do. For many who grew up conservative, liberal Christianity is simply a gateway to atheism.
Good post. I agree with what you say. This is what I meant by biting the bullet. One either takes Christianity for what it Really is, or one can adapt it (mentally) into something that jibes rather more with society, politics and indeed science, law and education. But that way leads to doubts. The liberal Christian has got to do some mental gymnastics to avoid the unpleasant fact that a lot of their Christianity doesn't quite fit the NT.

The Bite the Bullet Fundamentalist has also to do some mental gymnastics to avoid the unpleasant fact that a lot of their Christianity doesn't fit modern scientific and historical findings, plus of course Law, education and politics.

This is of course why people deconvert. They can also adopt a non -religious belief in God which is the God of the Bible, but not the God IN the Bible.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:05 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,214,408 times
From my experience with churches here in SA, there is not Liberal one's as such. The main Afrikaans churches are more orthodox in nature and probably closer to the RCC having catechism, infant baptism and they emanate from Europe. The fundamentalist ones have strong ties to the USA and their dogma, books, CDs etc.

The orthodox ones have the traditional Pipe organ but some have gone with guitars and different tunes. The folk that attend are like normal people when you meet them and do not proselytise generally. B/c of the catechism, their numbers follow tradition rather than new converts. Bear in mind, it was these churches that rejected Gandhi from attendance when he was here in SA so once upon a time, I guess they may have been more fundamental and they definitely had a political/racial bent. Some of the race issues are still latently present but not vocalised as it was few decades ago.

As far as charity goes, they all tend to only look after their own.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:08 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
It is exactly the same question as "Can an adulterous marriage be saved?".

Old 06-02-2013, 11:21 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Well, I will remind you Fundamentalism is a modern invention. The movement wasn't created until the late 19th/early 20th Century in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality