Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 02:08 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,839,366 times

Advertisements

Sorry if you don't understand my point of view. I'm trying to point out the meaning of leading and being lead for the values that define the things of concern around one. As an object to oneself the bondage of objectness still permits the things to be regarded in personal esteem that transcends the artifice which today in the modern age is found in the museum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 02:31 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,649,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranctum View Post
Let's see. The bible condoned slavery for thousands of years. Even the new testament instructs slave owners how to treat their slaves and tells slaves to be obedient to their masters. Surely you aren't contradicting the bibble
The Bible was written thousands of years ago by ignorant, primitive men...then was subsequently adulterated, twisted, and corrupted by evil, greedy men on a quest for power, control, and money.

Just because some ancient book or writing says something...doesn't necessarily make it "right".

I'm sure someone as heinous as T.J. might have tried to justify his evil deeds (in his own sick mind, anyway) through adulterated/perverted Scripture...but I stand by my contention--No decent man enslaves others. PERIOD!

Old 01-24-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
The Bible was written thousands of years ago by ignorant, primitive men...then was subsequently adulterated, twisted, and corrupted by evil, greedy men on a quest for power, control, and money.

Just because some ancient book or writing says something...doesn't necessarily make it "right".

I'm sure someone as heinous as T.J. might have tried to justify his evil deeds (in his own sick mind, anyway) through adulterated/perverted Scripture...but I stand by my contention--No decent man enslaves others. PERIOD!

Hear ye!! Hear ye!! And the time was ripe to listen to such for the procurement of cooperation for the liberation.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgnostic View Post
Hear ye!! Hear ye!! And the time was ripe to listen to such for the procurement of cooperation for the liberation.

No opinions on Voltaire's view of the bible? The French Revolution? Long live the monarchy. Jefferson's was believing in what is called a Gnostic god in the little splurge. In e. the bible don't cut it.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:52 AM

48 posts, read 64,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post

Exactly. It's not unusual for the bible to condone evil things if it happened to serve their purpose at the time. Look at all the dead witches.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:10 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinabugeorge View Post
The revelation is perhaps the most significant book in the entire Bible. It speaks to us about how the world will come to an end and it warns us of the tragedies that we will face because of such ignorances of which I have just read above. How could such a smart man reject the most revealing book in the book of laws under which this great nation was founded upon.
Perhaps because he quite correctly realized that The Bible was nothing more than a collection of plagiarized fairytales.

And no, (once again) neither this country or its laws was in no way shape or form founded upon the Bible or any religion based upon it.

Quote:
It is greatest shame to now call such an insolent insignificant insect one of my founding fathers after him having the foolish mind to contradict the God of such infinite power. Everyone is welcome to their own opinion but how incredibly stupid can you be to be so blind to not see the damage that mistakes like these are the ones that are bringing this nation to its' knees. And all of you have the nerve to call him smart??
Jefferson believed in the rational God of Deism, not the bloodthirsty, childish man made tribal god of your slave owner's manual. So yes, SMART is indeed a word that described Mr. Jefferson.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:38 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,649,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
Perhaps because he quite correctly realized that The Bible was nothing more than a collection of plagiarized fairytales.

And no, (once again) neither this country or its laws was in no way shape or form founded upon the Bible or any religion based upon it.

Jefferson believed in the rational God of Deism, not the bloodthirsty, childish man made tribal god of your slave owner's manual. So yes, SMART is indeed a word that described Mr. Jefferson.
Jefferson probably wrote his own slave owner's manual...since he was such a prolific slavemaster.

I'm surprised he didn't identify better with "bloodthirsty Biblegod"...since they were so alike.

He was smart...but like most evil tyrants, much more so cunning and conniving.

Thomas Jefferson was one of the most low-down, nasty, evil people to ever live...by ANY standard of decency.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:51 AM

Really, he was a slave master. He must have been jealous of the New York situation with the Dutch, and the self-interest arriving from the old country, less communication amongst the citizenry with their elders. More interesting was that he could say that his serving Slaves were Equal to him. Maybe the Dutch wouldn't.

Last edited by tgnostic; 01-25-2011 at 10:00 AM..

Old 01-25-2011, 10:05 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
"It is between fifty and sixty years since I read it [the Book of Revelation], and I then considered it merely the ravings of a maniac, no more worthy nor capable of explanation than the incoherencies of our own nightly dreams ... I cannot so far respect them as to consider them as an allegorical narrative of events, past or subsequent. There is not enough coherence in them to countenance any suite of rational ideas.... What has no meaning admits no explanation. And pardon me if I say, with the candor of friendship, that I think your time too valuable, and your understanding of too high an order, to be wasted on these paralogisms. You will perceive, I hope, also that I do not consider them as reveladons of the supreme being, whom I would not so far blaspheme as to impute to him a pretension of revelation, couched at the same time in terms which, he would know, were never to be understood by those to whom they were addressed."
-- Thomas Jefferson, letter to General Alexander Smyth, January 17, 1825
Jefferson always was just a bit more quick-witted than most of his peers.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Jefferson always was just a bit more quick-witted than most of his peers.

Greedy constitution by deduction in the Godless anti-monarchy history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality