U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 05:56 PM

10,381 posts, read 8,747,179 times

Advertisements

This is just a consistent observation.
Why is it?
This last incidence seems to be bec this Fundy Christian family is so steeped in
us and "them".
Well, that just causes big separation...reason to point and judge....things are not turning out
so well, for this bigtime Christian family I know.
While other friends into Easterm things, meditation, the Gita...have no judgments and
are the greatest...no turmoil with others like this Christian fam.
Same with most of my atheist friends...they are the best!
Geeze, already.
Christians seem to not just have, but create so much CONFLICT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 06:03 PM
Status: "Trump's worst is still better than Hill's best!" (set 5 days ago)

17,923 posts, read 11,702,204 times
I don't really understand what you are saying. Do you know one "Fundy" family that is having issues? Also, I don't think unless we are VERY close to a family or person that we really know what issues they may be having because some hide them a little better than others. The less you are involved with other people, the less issues one really ends up having or that has been my experience. I know no atheists and we would be worlds apart and I would probably see them having a host of issues just based on our difference in beliefs, God being major in my life. I truly believe that we never know what others are going through these days and those with the most serious issues generally keep them to themselves.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:09 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,879,164 times
There are Christians that are going through major conflict, but they put their problems in the hands of the Lord, very vague observation by OP and not much of a statistical inference to back it up.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I don't really understand what you are saying. Do you know one "Fundy" family that is having issues? Also, I don't think unless we are VERY close to a family or person that we really know what issues they may be having because some hide them a little better than others. The less you are involved with other people, the less issues one really ends up having or that has been my experience. I know no atheists and we would be worlds apart and I would probably see them having a host of issues just based on our difference in beliefs, God being major in my life. I truly believe that we never know what others are going through these days and those with the most serious issues generally keep them to themselves.
Yes, I understand. Those with the most serious issues can not help but spill those issues out
into the world around them, right, to those closest to them.

Ok, now I am thinking it is because they really don't have a deep connection with God.
They believe sincerely and get "high" or filled with inspirational words and God bless 'em...but the
roots don't seem to be holding onto God Himself.
Ok, just settled it all in my head just now!!

Old 06-13-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
There are Christians that are going through major conflict, but they put their problems in the hands of the Lord, very vague observation by OP and not much of a statistical inference to back it up.
Statistics? I'm a just a girl, not an automaton.
Probs given to the Lord? I wish.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:40 PM

32,537 posts, read 26,371,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I know several fundamentalist families that have issues and problems. Some of them very serious. Sadly. Fundamentalists are just as susceptible to problems as the rest of the population IMHO.

And I know that because they don't keep it to themselves. They ask friends to pray for them.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:47 PM

6,641 posts, read 3,250,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
This is just a consistent observation.
Why is it?
This last incidence seems to be bec this Fundy Christian family is so steeped in
us and "them".
Well, that just causes big separation...reason to point and judge....things are not turning out
so well, for this bigtime Christian family I know.
While other friends into Easterm things, meditation, the Gita...have no judgments and
are the greatest...no turmoil with others like this Christian fam.
Same with most of my atheist friends...they are the best!
Geeze, already.
Christians seem to not just have, but create so much CONFLICT!
My personal observations have been exactly the opposite. I have seen several close friends give up on believing in God and become passionately atheistic. Of the four cases that immediately come to mind, each of them has fallen into extremely self-destructive behaviors. Sex with anyone they please, often in groups -- and destroying their marriage in the process (those that are married). One got into heavy drug abuse and went from being a wiz-kid in the Navy's nuclear program, to being dishonorably discharged. He eventually wound up in prison. Often they become paranoid and start jumping at shadows, thinking that religious friends and family are going to try to force them to believe in God again. One friend put a restraining order against their own parents and changed their Will to make sure that neither of their parents (both sides are religious) can ever get custody of their daughter -- all for fear that she will be corrupted by their religiousness. All of them tend to blow a fuse whenever religion or God is even mentioned in conversation. Frankly, they don't seem healthy psychologically since they became atheists, though one of them is very stable and level-headed now (though she tends to unwittingly sabotage every relationship she gets into.)

My wife and I are often "the exception to the rule." For whatever reason, they realize that we're not judging them -- and we really and truly aren't. We feel sorry for them when things go badly and offer advice or a listening ear when and where needed. But from what I've seen, each of them was far better off with religion than they are now without it.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
My personal observations have been exactly the opposite. I have seen several close friends give up on believing in God and become passionately atheistic. Of the four cases that immediately come to mind, each of them has fallen into extremely self-destructive behaviors. Sex with anyone they please, often in groups -- and destroying their marriage in the process (those that are married). One got into heavy drug abuse and went from being a wiz-kid in the Navy's nuclear program, to being dishonorably discharged. He eventually wound up in prison. Often they become paranoid and start jumping at shadows, thinking that religious friends and family are going to try to force them to believe in God again. One friend put a restraining order against their own parents and changed their Will to make sure that neither of their parents (both sides are religious) can ever get custody of their daughter -- all for fear that she will be corrupted by their religiousness. All of them tend to blow a fuse whenever religion or God is even mentioned in conversation. Frankly, they don't seem healthy psychologically since they became atheists, though one of them is very stable and level-headed now (though she tends to unwittingly sabotage every relationship she gets into.)

My wife and I are often "the exception to the rule." For whatever reason, they realize that we're not judging them -- and we really and truly aren't. We feel sorry for them when things go badly and offer advice or a listening ear when and where needed. But from what I've seen, each of them was far better off with religion than they are now without it.
What a story!
Thanks.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:59 PM

AnywhereElse,
I forgot, u kinda asked a question...I do know one Fundy fam, for sure.
However, when or if I were to look at some Christian friends, married, some with
children some not.the "other" friends are WAY happier, mellow, less selfish, no marital
problems, no big extreme drinking or sexual issues....but...the Christians do.

I do not either ... have any pressing issues or conflicts...my connection with my Creator is so deep and still...I am not a fundimentalist, strict or staunch...
Hmm, I think my point is...having a connection with God or having a connection with words, only with the occassional upliftment or high.

I want people to be connected to God personally....I think that must be what I am getting to.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:06 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,879,164 times
Let's put it this way Miss Hepburn, God knows the true heart of the individual as we mere mortals can be fooled by outer appearances and statements or observations. Enough said toodle-oo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality