Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 01:00 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,092,166 times

Advertisements

Church dress code is constantly changing. To illustrate that, here's a quote from George Carlin: "When I was a kid they used to tell em to remove my hat before I entered the church, I had to remove my hat to show respect to God, but they also told me that God was everywhere! so, I thought, why even own a ******* hat?"

Remember, they also used to force women to wear hats in church. Dress code is not something people should care about, and if it bothers you so much, try Islam. They have a GREAT dress code policy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 01:02 PM

37,124 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Yeah, I remember "Sunday clothes". IF you had a nice dress or suit then going to church was the only time you wore it since there weren't a lot of other occasions for the average person to go out and be seen and socialize.

I don't go to church but if I did I'd probably have my own "Sunday clothes". A dress or two that I'd only wear to church. Why? I don't know, I wear all my other clothes every day of the week so it would be an excuse to fancy up

Old 10-21-2014, 03:43 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
For the general public, the days of 'special occasion' clothes is long gone.
Some people do, however, still like to differentiate their activities by wearing nicer clothing than they do while just banging around.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:48 PM

97 posts, read 55,638 times
All JW dress in suit and ties and women in dress as befits reverence we show for God. We also dress up when we are out doing our public ministry.
If you were invited to meet the President of US or Queen of England its the dignity and respect you give to their Personage.
The same with the Creator Sovereign of the Universe and all in it.
Rev 4:11 says You are worthy Jehovah our God to receive the honour and the glory and the power because you created all things and because of your will they came into existence and were created.
jw.org
Videos International Conventions
Jehovahs witnesses meetings.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:35 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,612,415 times
I seriously doubt Jesus traveled around with a suitcase. He traveled with the clothes on his back. He wore a dress. Perhaps men should wear dresses to church.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:55 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
There is a small, conservative church in my hometown where everyone dresses for services. The women still wear hats and skirts and the men wear suits. This is in NJ.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:59 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
I wear a shirt and tie...but I'm the preacher. Most of the folks in my church wear pretty casual stuff. It's not uncommon to see flip-flops, shorts and t-shirts.

A few weeks ago I took a Sunday off and visited some friends and went to their church. It was nice to just wear dress pants and a polo shirt as I sat next to my wife and kids the whole hour.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:14 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Maybe a tired torn tee shirt and faded jeans are their best?
Naw - where there is a will there is a way.
If the same guy had to pick a girl or go on a date, trust me, he WILL find a better way to dress up.

However, I totally agree that dressing up in a suit and tie is not, and should not be, THE ONLY WAY to go to a church.

One should try to appear hygienically clean and properly washed clothing - even if it's a torn up shirt and faded jeans (if that's the best they have).

The quality and honesty in worship is not contingent to the quality of an expensive suit and tie.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:32 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I wear a shirt and tie...but I'm the preacher. Most of the folks in my church wear pretty casual stuff. It's not uncommon to see flip-flops, shorts and t-shirts.

A few weeks ago I took a Sunday off and visited some friends and went to their church. It was nice to just wear dress pants and a polo shirt as I sat next to my wife and kids the whole hour.
My pastor and I (I'm the choir director) and a few of our older choir members wear a coat and tie. The younger set does not. Same with the general church population. We live in a tourist community, so we even have some people in shorts during the summer.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:54 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,233,552 times
As WWII was ending, and as our advancing troops were discovering the horror of the Nazi gulag, Allied officers ordered the local German populations to don their "Sonntagskleidung, " their best Sunday outfits, and then marched them at gunpoint through a tour of their camps.

This thread made me recall those old newsreel photos: the contrast of how people (used to) dress for church and the depravity of which mankind is capable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality