Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 01:19 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'm sorry if the truth hurts.
The Bible is your truth. Trying to make others abide by its ancient laws is no different in any way than living in a theocracy such as that espoused by The Taliban.

If we used The Bible as the basis for our entire legal system, we'd still be killing people for picking up sticks on the Sabbath, as commanded by Yahweh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 03:07 PM

19,958 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
If we used The Bible as the basis for our entire legal system, we'd still be killing people for picking up sticks on the Sabbath, as commanded by Yahweh.
That would be a particular interpretation of the Bible. In fairness to Vizio, I doubt he would favor such a law as in his view the OT legal system has been superseded by grace (mostly, anyway, I'm sure he reserves some cherry picking rights for certain things the NT is silent or non-specific about). This is, for example, why he doesn't observe the Sabbath and why he has no doubt picked up sticks himself on Saturday.

Although also in fairness if he believed the death penalty for picking up sticks on the Sabbath was still in effect he'd be untroubled by it, because, after all, godsaidit.

But the problem remains, as you point out, there is no such thing as objective Biblical Truth. There is only some interpretive spin. A Christian theocracy could by definition not exist, as the difference between "total nutjob snake handling fundamentalism" and "bleeding heart liberal Christianity" is way too broad for a consensus; it would be a Fundamentalist Christian theocracy and it would have factions competing for who is the most true to the Bible. It would represent "sufficiently" fundamentalist persons and attempt to cudgel everyone else into conformity with that. This is the way things already work in pockets of the Bible Belt, unofficially.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:31 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Lol. You just will not admit that the rest of us are entitled to our own opinions and beliefs, will you?

Because the TRUTH is.... you speak for Vizio. That's it.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:43 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,124,820 times
The point of the OP is that Exodus - a major Christian organization - has effectively said it was wrong and has shut down its operations. To me that's a sea change in attitude toward the GLBT community among some sects. While I am not Christian I am heartened by that.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:44 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times
Quote:
Your religious dogma is not 'truth'.

Follow it all you want for yourself, or hypocritically cherry pick it all you want for yourself, but stop trying to impose your beliefs on others.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:49 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times
Quote:
Why do you care? You've made it clear that you have no use for the Bible.
The Bible is very useful for showing how people like you hypocritically cherry pick out of context whatever they want from it to bolster up their prejudice and ignorance.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:18 PM

33,522 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Below are some Christians that I admire....

This picture of Chicago Christians who showed up at a gay pride parade to apologize for homophobia in the Church.

21 Pictures That Will Restore Your Faith In Humanity | FB TroublemakersFB Troublemakers

Old 06-22-2013, 09:48 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Below are some Christians that I admire....

This picture of Chicago Christians who showed up at a gay pride parade to apologize for homophobia in the Church.

21 Pictures That Will Restore Your Faith In Humanity | FB TroublemakersFB Troublemakers
Good for them.

Good for you for posting. (Too soon to rep again.)

All a person needs to find a truth that works for them is an open mind, an open heart, a questing spirit, and time.

Ok.

A smidge of serendipity, a dash of insight, and wee dram of epiphany might well add some giddy-up to the process.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:37 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,370,247 times
Quote:
As I pointed out above, I wrongly accused you of lying. Please--I was wrong. I'm sorry.

Having said that...If I want to set up a ministry to minister to anyone, what business is it of your's?
It is worth taking time to read posts and threads to avoid the kind of error above. Do keep up.

As for what business it is of mine.... it certainly is if the ministrations you are engaged in cause actual harm to others. If you bother to read the article in the OP you will find that the people who closed down this ministry acknowledge THEMSELVES that not only did their attempts to "cure" homosexuality fail.... it actively harmed the people they "worked" with.

If you want to cause harm to others then yes, I WILL make it my business. Good luck trying to stop me.

You are, remember, the one who claimed that you can not simply "let them be".

Quote:
We have ministries to drunkards....what's your problem with ministering to another type of sin?
Alcoholism is actively harmful and dangerous. Homosexuality is not. Crass comparison from you. For shame. The same is shameful about your bringing "murder" into it too.

Quote:
They are all sinners in need of a savior--just like you and me.
Speak for yourself. I require no such thing, least of all for the reasons you have been spewing onto the thread.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:29 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
It is worth taking time to read posts and threads to avoid the kind of error above. Do keep up.

As for what business it is of mine.... it certainly is if the ministrations you are engaged in cause actual harm to others. If you bother to read the article in the OP you will find that the people who closed down this ministry acknowledge THEMSELVES that not only did their attempts to "cure" homosexuality fail.... it actively harmed the people they "worked" with.

If you want to cause harm to others then yes, I WILL make it my business. Good luck trying to stop me.

You are, remember, the one who claimed that you can not simply "let them be".

Alcoholism is actively harmful and dangerous. Homosexuality is not. Crass comparison from you. For shame. The same is shameful about your bringing "murder" into it too.

Speak for yourself. I require no such thing, least of all for the reasons you have been spewing onto the thread.

Speak for yourself. Homosexuality is actively harmful and dangerous. It will also drag a persons soul to hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality