Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 05:26 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,938,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
There it is, clear as day: God didn't seem to know how to explain Himself very well; what a pity that ink can't speak for itself. But I'd have to agree that the character in this episode is saying that the Father can be within ALL of us, much like in Hindu religion. He is also saying (in this episode) that the father is different and greater than himself. Yet he is also saying that he represents the way, the truth, and the "real" life. Which is odd, because his way and presence inspired such denomination, such lies, and such death (as all religions do). Yet, as Unitarians notice, he is not trying to put himself as a Stumbling Block, between the Children and the Father, simply as a facilitator or guide to those who need it. Yet he says that if you don't live the hard life he did, you will not get through to the Father, as he thinks he did. No excuses, is what I say. Those who are righteous are not sick nor lost, and have no need for religions.

i tell you, you keep with your interpretations and others like me and Vizio can have ours because it is clear as a bell to us who the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are and who and what they represent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 05:51 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times
Yes, I also think it is clear...since Jesus was the Word made flesh...
know that Word and that's the way to the Father...why?
Because the Word was in the beginning and is vibrating inside us and for eternity and everywhere and
is the Holy Name of God (we are not to take in vain) and is to be hallowed.
The unspeakable Name of God, the Sat Nam (True Name) written about in other cultures.
Yes, indeed that Word and Name is the way to our Source....like breadcrumbs to Home...the mix up is thinking it is a human being ....an extraordinary Soul that was so in tune with the Father he could be thought of as one with Him.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:01 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,938,908 times
Quote:
There it is, clear as day: God didn't seem to know how to explain Himself very well; what a pity that ink can't speak for itself. But I'd have to agree that the character in this episode is saying that the Father can be within ALL of us, much like in Hindu religion. He is also saying (in this episode) that the father is different and greater than himself. Yet he is also saying that he represents the way, the truth, and the "real" life. Which is odd, because his way and presence inspired such denomination, such lies, and such death (as all religions do). Yet, as Unitarians notice, he is not trying to put himself as a Stumbling Block, between the Children and the Father, simply as a facilitator or guide to those who need it. Yet he says that if you don't live the hard life he did, you will not get through to the Father, as he thinks he did. No excuses, is what I say. Those who are righteous are not sick nor lost, and have no need for religions.

i tell you, you keep with your interpretations and others like me and Vizio can have ours because it is clear as a bell to us who the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are and who and what they represent

Old 07-04-2013, 04:36 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,347,884 times
I found some more information on this subject. Krishna and Buddha basically said that same things:

Lord Krishna said:
" THOSE WHO WORSHIP OTHER GODS AND THOSE WHO WORSHIP THEM WITH FAITH, ARE ACTUALLY WORSHIPING ME. I AM THE RECEIVER OF ALL DEVOTION [GITA 9:23] EVEN A MAN WITH WORST KARMAS WILL NOT PERISH IF HE BECOMES MY DEVOTEE [GITA 9:30,31]
LORD KRISHNA also said in the Bhagavad Gita I AM THE SOURCE OF ALL SPIRITUAL & MATERIAL WORLDS. EVERYTHING EMANATES FROM ME [GITA 10:8] EVERYTHING IS BORN OF ME. I AM THE ORIGINAL SOURCE OF ALL. NO ONE IS ABOVE ME [GITA 12:6, 7]
In the Bhagavad Gita, when Krishna said WORSHIP ME and ADORE ME, he did not mean that people should worship the Gopi-idol Lord Krishna, but the ONE AND ONLY GOD BRAHMAN, which has no form and no name.

BUDDHA: Even if a monk should seize the hem of my garment and walk behind me step for step,
yet if he is covetous in his desires, careless and unrestrained, then that monk is far from me and
I am far from him. What is the cause of that? Monks, that monk does not see dharma.
Not seeing dharma he does not see me. Even though a monk should dwell far away, yet if he
is not covetous in his desires, not fierce in his longing, not malevolent of heart, not of mind corrupt,
but composed, calm, mindful and restrained in sense – then indeed that one is near to me and I am
near to him. What is the cause of that? Monks, that monk sees dharma.
Seeing dharma he sees me. Itivuttaka 3.5.3

Basically, as some have said here, it is the teachings that are the way, it is love that is the way. There are so many parallel sayings of Buddha and Christ that some scholars believe that the gospels were taken from Buddhism. Here are some links: Jesus & Buddha Parallel Sayings

I like how this person also goes through these scriptures from a Hindu concept: Am I A Hindu

Once again, when Christ said I AM THE WAY, he did not mean that "I AM" is limited to his body but the "I AM" he is referring to is the ONE AND ONLY GOD BRAHMAN or JEHOVAH.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:40 AM

[quote=bulmabriefs144;30287543]I've struggled with this one for much of my life, actually.

I've come with two explanations.

1) Jesus is talking about his path, not his faith. As in, no, you can't use this to justify condemning other faith systems, because if they follow the path of Jesus (i.e. Love) they pretty much are saved under their own religion, in addition to his. You follow the way, you accept the truth, and live the life, and after that, you're following Jesus even if you're Pagan or something.

Love this answer.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Thank you for posting all of this. In a way it does speak for itself. God is in all of us, and if we follow the path of love and follow the teachings, we are on the right path. These teachings, like I said above, are no different from other teachings. They all point to the same thing.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:38 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,063,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
all religions are clear as bells to those who want them to be. You an Visio have no clarity, you cannot make the mountains fly over the skies.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:19 AM

a different view, but like Luminous truth's: Lectionary Commentary:

Old 07-18-2013, 09:32 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Of course we know that you firmly believe Christian dogmatic claims about God, Jesus and the Holy ghost - whatever that is - on the basis of faith, never mind that it makes no sense, is incoherent and is even contradictory in the Book.

While we respect your right to believe whatever you want, no matter how daft, we consider it our duty to our fellow man to put the other side so that they can decide. And we will not be shut up, either by intimidation, playing the 'respect' card or by whingeing about being so offended by our views.

Get used to it - this is par for course from now on.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:19 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,277,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
Here is one for all you bible scholars.

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

I can't imagine Jesus really saying this. What do you all think? Is it a misinterpretation? What proof is there that it is anything other than what it is? Was it added to the Bible? If so, what proof? What does the original Greek say? Some say "I am" means God the "I AM." If so then why add no man comes to the father except through me?"
He is not saying what the 100% bible believers think he is saying. He is simply saying who He IS, who he had become. He was a manifestation of the Way, the Truth and the Life.

Jesus is saying the Way to the Father is being what I AM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality