Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 10:58 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Thank you. I've met very people that identify as atheists that are actually open-minded enough to consider the truth.
I was once very content in my Christianity until I opened my mind. And now.....well, you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 12:19 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I was once very content in my Christianity until I opened my mind. And now.....well, you know.
I feel sad for you.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:15 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Which father deserves the worship ?
The Father of the Sky. Deus-Fater. I'm talking about the Demiurge, the Creator, etc.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:17 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
The Father of the Sky. Deus-Fater. I'm talking about the Demiurge, the Creator, etc.

Then which God ?

Old 07-02-2013, 02:55 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth,
and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

Umm... "that no one comes to the Father except thru me". Pretty clear and simple.

If you think otherwise you have three options. Jesus was a liar or was crazy or the Bible is false-in which case why do you cite it?
This is a variant of the old "liar, lunatic or son of god" fallacy which I believe was first promulgated by CS Lewis. It's a false choice. Or at least incomplete. Other choices include, there is no historical Jesus, he was misquoted or the quote was a later addition to the text, Jesus was as human as you or I but prone to make provocative and ill advised statements, etc.

Given for the sake of argument that there's an historical Jesus whose teachings are accurately represented by the Synoptics, I think it most likely that this particular statement was added after the fact by people flogging a particular direction for established dogma. If in fact the entire Gospel of John wasn't grafted in for this purpose.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:56 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times
Quote:
I feel sad for you.
Don't feel sad for me, I'm am much more content now than ever in my life. I don't need to worry about whether my friends or family will end up in Hell, etc...

Old 07-02-2013, 04:21 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
This is a variant of the old "liar, lunatic or son of god" fallacy which I believe was first promulgated by CS Lewis. It's a false choice. Or at least incomplete. Other choices include, there is no historical Jesus,
There is too much historical evidence for that to be true.
Quote:

he was misquoted or the quote was a later addition to the text,
Again, there is simply too much evidence to the contrary. Aside from John 14:6, the apostle Paul, Peter, and others all taught the same thing.

Quote:
Jesus was as human as you or I but prone to make provocative and ill advised statements, etc.
No...he actually was divine--as attested to by his followers, who described miracles he performed. But that's part of the "Lord, Liar, Lunatic" that would be covered under the lunatic part.
Quote:
Given for the sake of argument that there's an historical Jesus whose teachings are accurately represented by the Synoptics, I think it most likely that this particular statement was added after the fact by people flogging a particular direction for established dogma. If in fact the entire Gospel of John wasn't grafted in for this purpose.
I don't see it. It is in agreement with the rest of Scripture.

But that is a common tactic by liberal theologians. Don't like it? Pretend it's not authentic and move on.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Then which God ?
How many Creators where there?

... I worship the Stranger! The only God that can truly be trusted is the one you don't know nor pretend to experience. Best to know no gods than to worship ink and delusions... or the religions established by Demons of sloth, confusion, hypocrisy, violence, annoyance, meekness, and false hopes.

Religions are laughable, and pitiful human attempts to confine Greatness by placating to vain human psychological aspects and needs.

Did you look up Deus-Fater? although I thought it wasn't Zeus Pater who took over Heaven by Defeating His father, TIME (interestingly enough, YHWH Never created TIME).

...Needless to say: I am Agnostic only, as is true for all the wise who trample on the false religions of Old.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:34 PM

5,355 posts, read 5,134,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I have had my moments of Cosmic Consciousness and from where I was I could have
said the same thing.

Only thru being in this "space" or place of awareness which Jesus
was in, I believe 24/7, could anyone get to or exp the Father, which I have...by His Grace on occassion.

Ya don't get to the Father unless you are transformed...in a super high state of consciousness...which Jesus was 'one with', imo.
So the way to God is thru the same path Jesus took....heightened awareness, devotion, focus and love, thru Grace..not the usual space our brain waves are functioning at ...I call it an altered state.

I consider the verse to be the most regrettful verse ever written...if Jesus even said it all all....because of the misinterpretation, thus, the divisions and killings that one verse has caused.

If this were in the Christian section, I'd never have seen it, thank you.
Is the higher plane of consciousness through DMT?!?

Old 07-02-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:

But that is a common tactic by liberal theologians. Don't like it? Pretend it's not authentic and move on.
Who's moving on? I'd like you to expand on "pretending it's not authentic" and how that differs from your "pretending it is authentic." liberal theologians must actually care about what IS true, rather than what they WANT to be true, which is why they confess there can be questions as to the authenticity of even the original manuscripts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality