Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2008, 10:03 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Ditto from June.
Triple ditto from ILNC Troop your posts are respectful and well thought out. Gotta love the kid!!! And remember you're coming to my house on Halloween!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 05:33 AM

810 posts, read 1,437,372 times
Kook?? Not in my book!

Old 10-20-2008, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Now, when people are encumbered by a certain situation or a set of situations that proves difficult and they manage to succeed through it they often attribute it to the work of a deity. However, in order for this to happen, it would mean that this deity had somehow used his/her supernatural powers to alter the course of finite cause and effect events down to the slightest minutiae.
Well, you're right! God OBVIOUSLY doesn't meddle in events...the Red Sox lost.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:03 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,459,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post
the red sox lost.
Thank God! (I'm a Yankees fan. )

Old 10-20-2008, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Thank God! (I'm a Yankees fan. )
...okay, now you're a kook!

Old 10-20-2008, 06:58 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,939,882 times
Pardon my lack of knowledge in the English language but isn't a cook a good thing?

Old 10-20-2008, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
Pardon my lack of knowledge in the English language but isn't a cook a good thing?
A cook is a very good thing. Especially when someone else cooks for you!

A Kook is a crazy person...a looney person with crazy ideas.

I just moved to the southeast region from the northeast region of the USA and there are many new words and phrases that I am learning!

Old 10-20-2008, 05:08 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,970,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I finally made it up to NYC this past weekend. My wife and I went to the World Trade Centers. My first thought upon seeing Ground Zero was subtle amazement.

My first thought walking into the memorial building brought it into perspective for me. On one wall are photocopies of the actual missing posters of many of the people.

On another wall, behind a glass case, are pictures of the people that died. Well, about half of them. It was then that I realized, looking into all those bright shining faces who had so much taken away from them that God must certainly not exist.

I can understand perhaps the difference in good and evil in a childish concept of mischief vs. good. But, is it so necessary to take away almost 3000 people in one fell swoop? Is it entirely necessary to allow things like that to occur? Was it necessary for each one of those families to experience the tragedies that they did? All for what? What was God's purpose for that?

Was it to get people closer to him? Was it to allow people to see him better? To ask him questions? To allow people to commit atrocities like that in HIS name? No, I say. No!

There is no such thing as God. Something like that was not necessary. Sometimes you don't realize the true tragedy until you can experience it in some small way. If there is a God, than I want no part of him for he is as wicked as the men who flew those airplanes into the building for allowing it to happen.
Why would you believe it was Gods puropse? Thats how it goes in this world. If something happens that is good. We say man can do wonderful things. Yet if things go bad, we blame God? God came to this world to try and show man how to love one another, and man nailed Him to a cross. God knows how evil men are, and God has given us a way to escape evil. So now you blame God for evil men. God gave man free will, and man has often used that free will to do evil. That is the reason we need a Saviour.
Jesus has given us a way, yet man continues to sin by blaming God and rejecting His gift of salvation. God has shown us in the prophecies of His Word that evil will increase as we get closer to the end of days. God has given us signs to watch for, and we see those signs happening today. Yet man does what he does best. He ignores those signs, and blames God for everything. Really, it's time men start taking responsibility for there own actions, rather than trying to lay all the blame at God's feet.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:33 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,459,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Why would you believe it was Gods puropse? Thats how it goes in this world. If something happens that is good. We say man can do wonderful things. Yet if things go bad, we blame God? God came to this world to try and show man how to love one another, and man nailed Him to a cross. God knows how evil men are, and God has given us a way to escape evil. So now you blame God for evil men. God gave man free will, and man has often used that free will to do evil. That is the reason we need a Saviour.
Jesus has given us a way, yet man continues to sin by blaming God and rejecting His gift of salvation. God has shown us in the prophecies of His Word that evil will increase as we get closer to the end of days. God has given us signs to watch for, and we see those signs happening today. Yet man does what he does best. He ignores those signs, and blames God for everything. Really, it's time men start taking responsibility for there own actions, rather than trying to lay all the blame at God's feet.
Last I checked I wasn't blaming God. Never did. I said he didn't exist. How can I blame something that doesn't exist? That's like blaming leprechauns for my inability to obtain a pot of gold.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:59 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
Wink Just can't buy it. . . .

[SIZE=3]Okay. I have read your responses here for a couple of days, trying to see if I can make sense of them. And I just can’t. Because physics does not CREATE life. An inhabited place like earth is a package deal that involves your physics, science, and ~ I’m going to go ahead and frustrate you with it ~ a Supreme Being responsible for our purpose in being here, and a higher conscious. If one believes in the Big Bang theory, then who “banged” it and why? [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
You did make an interesting point about “luck” and the winning lottery tickets. That, to me, is random. And unlike some people who think every little move we make is pre-determined (with a little exaggerating), I think random is necessary, and part of life, to make our FREE WILL decisions mean something. But I suppose you can say that winning the Powerball is sheer luck. If I won it that is probably how I would feel. But I would also feel blessed, and wonder WHY I won it to begin with. Did I win it for a reason? Was it random? Could be either/or, but I would put some damn good thought into it to use it wisely and not (too) selfishly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality