Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 01:31 PM

640 posts, read 461,530 times

Advertisements

Islamic terrorists are the reason 9/11 happened, not God. And the anger and sadness you felt while standing at the place that once held the greatest towers in the world is the same kind of emotion you should hold towards those that were behind this tragedy. Our President is trying to make sure we never have to experience this type of terror again yet so many don't support his efforts. That is sad...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 01:31 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I'm surpised it took so long for a reply such as this.

From what I can see, to a follower of a certain religion, Satan is the guy named God(s) in all the other religions. Except, in the case of 9/11, Satan would be the God of Abraham. Hmmm...
Nxplorer, I do not follow any one religion..My God is part of every religion..The problem with religions today is that they think they are the only ones who God favors..You have me completely wrong...I have absolutely no idea what you mean about satan being the God of Abraham..I am tired , really tired and just don't have the energy anymore to even repeat my beliefs, which I never forced on anyone in these forums or of which I take delight in debating...

Old 11-08-2007, 01:35 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Default GCSTroop: Existentialist extroadinaire?

In fairness to GCSTroop and no doubt many, many other people who also questioned and/or ruled out the existence of god that day, I can't help but recall the fact that existentialism was an outgrowth of, and reaction to the nihilism experienced after WWII in France.

Not that I am saying that GCSTroop shares the brilliant minds and intellects of Sartre, Camus, and Nietzsche per se, but....

There is a validation to the point that he is making. Others who came long before him arrived at the exact same philosophical conclusions, as well.

It's just a thought...

Take gentle care.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:36 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Nxplorer, I do not follow any one religion..My God is part of every religion..The problem with religions today is that they think they are the only ones who God favors..You have me completely wrong...
I wasn't necessarily referring to your personal beliefs.
Quote:
I have absolutely no idea what you mean about satan being the God of Abraham..
Islamists will claim that destroying the WTC was a directive from God. Others will claim that directive came from Satan, as it appears you have done. The Muslim God is the god of Abraham, which just so happens to be the same God that Christians and Jews worship. To me, an outsider, it appears we have a contradiction.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:42 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
I don't believe in the existence of God either... but something funny is going on with me that I can't really explain it... it's like "fate" and I have some sort of weird connection to it so that I can "sense" other people's fates... I don't know... its just weird...

Old 11-08-2007, 01:44 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
Originally Posted by Bunky39
Quote:
he did not vote for george bush.
Then again, didn't Bush claim that God ordered him to invade Iraq?

Quote:
US President George W. Bush allegedly said God told him to invade Iraq and Afghanistan, a new BBC documentary will reveal, according to details.
Moderator cut: copyrighted article

"So I will get you a Palestinian state."
God speaks to George Bush | Fired Up! Missouri (http://www.firedupmissouri.com/node/2764 - broken link)

Last edited by Yac; 12-14-2007 at 02:28 AM..

Old 11-08-2007, 01:50 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
In fairness to GCSTroop and no doubt many, many other people who also questioned and/or ruled out the existence of god that day, I can't help but recall the fact that existentialism was an outgrowth of, and reaction to the nihilism experienced after WWII in France.

Not that I am saying that GCSTroop shares the brilliant minds and intellects of Sartre, Camus, and Nietzsche per se, but....

There is a validation to the point that he is making. Others who came long before him arrived at the exact same philosophical conclusions, as well.

It's just a thought...

Take gentle care.
There's no doubt one could arrive at the conclusion GCSTroop related in his OP from those events.

One could also arrive at the conclusions that:

Muslims are murderers.
Arabs are evil.
Buildings are built in airplane flight paths.
Flight schools are bad.
September the 11th is an 'unlucky' day.
and so on and so forth......

None of those are accurate statements.

GCSTroop was a self-titled 'Devout Atheist' long before he peered out across the ground were this atrocity took place. Let's not pretend he experienced some 'great realization' while he was there.

I mean, could I not rewrite the OP and talk about the huge influx back into churches after 9/11, the members of Congress standing on the Capital steps singing 'God bless America' and the images everywhere of Americans praying for other Americans and say "I Am Now Certain God does Exist"?

Last edited by Alpha8207; 11-08-2007 at 02:07 PM..

Old 11-08-2007, 02:01 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,384,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post

I mean, could I not rewrite the OP and talk about the huge influx back into churches after 9/11, the members of Congress standing on the Capital steps singing 'God bless America' and the images everywhere of Americans praying for other Americans and say "I Am Now Certain God does Exist"?
You could, but then you would be guilty of the same fallacious thinking that you accuse GCSTroop of.
By your logic, those who said on 9/11, "I Am Now Certain God Does Exist" were making inaccurate statements like the ones you listed.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:02 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
I suppose maybe some of you misunderstood my original post. Looking at the responses, it seems to me that some of you feel as if I am blaming God for something that happened. Well, no, I don't blame "God" as in the divine god of any religion. I'd first have to believe in him to blame him, or her if you prefer.

My point was that although I went to Ground Zero with a preconceived notion that there was no God, looking at the pictures on the wall made me realize that if there were a God than I do in fact despise him for letting this happen.

Many say "It was man who did it not God." And to that I say you are correct. Man should be held responsible for everything done that day. From the people who ignored the warnings to the people who flew the planes into the building, man should be held responsible.

The thing you need to understand from my point of view is that to me religion is man-made. God is man-made to me. The whole premise of a watchful eye in the sky (not to mention thought reader) is an entirely human creation to me. What's sad is that one of man's own creations (religion and/or God) served as a vehicle to provide an excuse for the actions that ensued on 9/11.

However, it was my musing on the subject that although I already thought with a 99% certainty that God did not exist before going to the World Trade Center, that if there were indeed a God of any religion, he is surely to blame for this as well. I cannot, however, blame a non-existent thing for letting something happen. I can only reassure myself that he doesn't exist and realize that thankfully I don't have to answer to the beckon and call of such an idea. And it is with that that I am now 99.9999999(repeating) percent certain he does not exist.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:03 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
You could, but then you would be guilty of the same fallacious thinking that you accuse GCSTroop of.
By your logic, those who said on 9/11, "I Am Now Certain God Does Exist" were making inaccurate statements like the ones you listed.
Exactly my point, b. frank, thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality