U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 07:55 PM

4,604 posts, read 3,045,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post

It may be (statistical confirmation is awaited) that atheism is making great strides and irreligious theism even greater ones. It doesn't matter to me what charts are presented trying to show that we are losing ground or Christianity is recruiting huge numbers (in China).
Well I don't care either. If 60% of all people in North America think that the supernatural is not real, so what.

This is not a popularity contest...the most votes wins!

It's about reality. That my friend is what matters. I'm cool with you being an atheist. I suspect you feel the same way towards me (unlike many on this board).

But yet some feel that what matters is which view is the most popular. Which is gaining ground (hurrah for our team!). In these matters it matters not whose view is winning. But rather who is correct. I suppose we will find out after in the end.

I am confidant as are you. To sum it up, I really don't care which view is winning. I left high school many years ago. Most of the popular HS kids these days are either losers or are living boring lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 08:09 PM

9,742 posts, read 7,715,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Well I don't care either. If 60% of all people in North America think that the supernatural is not real, so what.

This is not a popularity contest...the most votes wins!

It's about reality. That my friend is what matters. I'm cool with you being an atheist. I suspect you feel the same way towards me (unlike many on this board).

But yet some feel that what matters is which view is the most popular. Which is gaining ground (hurrah for our team!). In these matters it matters not whose view is winning. But rather who is correct. I suppose we will find out after in the end.

I am confidant as are you. To sum it up, I really don't care which view is winning. I left high school many years ago. Most of the popular HS kids these days are either losers or are living boring lives.
When it comes to religion, people don't necessarily care that much about who agrees or disagrees with their beliefs. It is considered to be a private matter. But people do care about what kind of social and political effect religion has on society. That's the bottom line.

For example, if religion-influenced laws tell people who they can or cannot sleep with or whether or not they can use birth control, then that becomes a great concern to a vast number of people.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
When it comes to religion, people don't necessarily care that much about who agrees or disagrees with their beliefs. It is considered to be a private matter. But people do care about what kind of social and political effect religion has on society. That's the bottom line.

For example, if religion-influenced laws tell people who they can or cannot sleep with or whether or not they can use birth control, then that becomes a great concern to a vast number of people.
Such was the case in 1960. This is 2013. Let's move on.

Truth be told Stalin and Mao were not too keen with gay people. Please...

In the 1500/1600s it was the religious who built hospitals and Universities. But I digress

Last edited by Mr5150; 07-13-2013 at 09:59 PM..

Old 07-13-2013, 10:05 PM

10,799 posts, read 6,516,732 times
Quote:
Ah, yes. One of many evangelical atheists! Not to mention half of the atheists who post on forums such as this one.
While Dawkins does qualify as a zealot, I wonder on what basis you determined that 50 % of the atheist posters on forums are the same.

I frequent the atheist/agnostic forum here at City Data and the above does not describe my experiences. The zealots seem to be the rare exceptions rather than the rule.

Of course you may have some personal definition of evangelical atheist which is broad to the point of seeing all disagreement as an attack on your beliefs by a zealot.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
While Dawkins does qualify as a zealot, I wonder on what basis you determined that 50 % of the atheist posters on forums are the same.

I frequent the atheist/agnostic forum here at City Data and the above does not describe my experiences. The zealots seem to be the rare exceptions rather than the rule.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/14509806-post2.html

Sam Harris tears down the God concept pretty efficiently

http://www.city-data.com/forum/athei...n-without.html

Three cites in two minutes...

I can provide more in ten minutes, but I don't care to waste my time.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:55 PM

9,742 posts, read 7,715,906 times
Quote:
Such was the case in 1960. This is 2013. Let's move on.
Same-sex marriage is illegal in 37 states of the U.S. in 2013.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:06 PM
Status: "Upright and mobile, so no complaints." (set 21 days ago)

5,936 posts, read 1,822,158 times
Quote:
Yep, you folks in the US of A still have some work to do.

But it's heartening to see some progress.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:09 PM

10,799 posts, read 6,516,732 times
Quote:

I can provide more in ten minutes, but I don't care to waste my time.
I see. Actual research would be a waste of time. Asserting in the absence of knowing is a time saver.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:23 PM

4,810 posts, read 4,975,744 times
Quote:

Here are some groups working who believe that should change...

Southwest UMC Conference Passes Resolution Supporting 'Marriage Equality'

MCC and Marriage Equality | Metropolitan Community Churches

Two Buddhist brides wed in Taiwan - CNN.com

Capital Witch: Pagan Clergy in Maryland Celebrate Passage of Same-Sex Marriage Bill

Gay Marriage, Why Not? - YouTube

Old 07-14-2013, 12:02 AM

15,498 posts, read 7,275,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post

Nice name calling. Man, and they wonder why many kids raised to be atheist end up leaving

And it's not like atheist have ever done anything cult like...oh...wait:
Cult of Reason - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And this is about people raised in atheism who leave, not people who stay Christian. Big difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Yep, nobody is trying to promote atheism! Oh, wait...

Richard Dawkins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I am unashamedly evangelical about atheism as Dawkins, though far less effective. Why should we not be? Sitting home and keeping quiet about it is a recipe for another 2,000 years of Theist delusion.

Cult of reason. It was something that had to be tried, I suppose, and the question does arise of what replaces religion. I think there could be more celebration of the rationalist worldview (if and when it is taken to be the better and only rational one) and we get Dawkins and Hitchens on stamps rather than Popes and Mother Theresas.

I refuse to be made to feel that it is somehow wrong or a betrayal of what we stand for. And someone who finds science (or at least the astounding discoveries it makes) as dull and boring is a lost soul indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality