Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 03:09 PM

19,990 posts, read 13,470,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
"The Devil in the Dark. The rock wasn't living, the Horta was alive and made tunnels, eventually working with the miners. Star Trek Devil in the Dark, The
Yea, I know, as a fellow ST geek, it was the Horta's eggs they were destroying, thinking they were "silicon nodules". But it was easier to explain quickly to the uninitiated. The point is that there is no guarantee that we will recognize alien life when we see it.

The other episode I mentioned, if anyone cares, is "Home Soil", from the "Next Generation" series. When you think of it, it's almost a rewrite of "Devil in the Dark".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 09:19 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,134,329 times
Someone said that aliens would not want to communicate with us even if they could.

But I am thinking that if I lived on a highly advanced planet, it might have been fun to communicate with primitive species. Especially if they perceived your communications as God talking

I want to go "planet watching", observe life on different planets, see how it turned out, the similarities, the differences. Many people like to go back in time to experience life before their day. Many people like history and like those movies where they all of a sudden get transferred to the past. So, in my view, if someone could observe us, they would. There is an episode "Who watches the watchers", about advanced species observing lower species and their encounter. It's always cool to see something like that for the first time. I mean the first times are most interesting. The very first time you met someone... The very first time you encountered something interesting... And we all like movies where someone is propelled into the future and is shown the wonders of the current modern day technology and their amazement makes us feel excited...

Also, we have humane societies (or whatever they are called), those who care to help those less fortunate. We help those in our world. And maybe some advanced aliens help those in their galaxy or their universe... Why not?

As far as communication... well, there is lots of talk of communications, lots of claims. We can't either prove or disprove. So it's up to each one to believe in that proof or not to believe. Some believe and some don't. It's interesting to see how many do and how many don't.

As far as angels vs aliens... it's about drawing a picture in your head. When you think it's an angel, you are picturing some sort of heaven, some surreal life that is not happening here, who knows what angels do... they resemble monks in some cases...

But if you think of someone as an alien, you just get a different image, a different feeling about the whole situation, your whole world view is different.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:27 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,817,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Yea, I know, as a fellow ST geek, it was the Horta's eggs they were destroying, thinking they were "silicon nodules". But it was easier to explain quickly to the uninitiated. The point is that there is no guarantee that we will recognize alien life when we see it.

The other episode I mentioned, if anyone cares, is "Home Soil", from the "Next Generation" series. When you think of it, it's almost a rewrite of "Devil in the Dark".
Thanks for the home soil reference. I am not much up on NG. Carl Sagan had an episode on COSMOS that attempted to describe what other beings might look like, regarding their morphology. But they were anything but people. That would require identical environments and catastrophes. That won't happen in this universe. However, in the multiverse, with an infinite possibilities, there might even be another you.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:30 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,915,172 times
Unhappy "Hello! (hello?!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Intelligent life somewhere in the universe is quite likely, but probably rare enough and scattered enough that we'd be very unlikely to encounter it. An even smaller percentage of such life would be spacefaring or even technological, and an even smaller percentage would have any kind of interstellar reach.

Then there is the problem that even if we encountered an alien, that their appearance / environmental needs / awareness / sentience / communication methods would be so different that we might well not even recognize them as living things.

(Brev-Edit)hello?

Even if aliens were telepathic, they are too far away for any real-time interaction.
Agreed, mordant! Not to mention that we'd almost assuredly have a tad-bit of a language barrier... Their semantic language structure would almost certainly be vastly different than ours.

Hey: right now, the once-alien Orcas have been desperately trying, for the past 150 years or so at least, to tell us about the scheduled return arrival of that giant asteroid that barely glazed our planet ≈4500 years ago, but this time it will more than "glaze!"! This time, it ain't just "The Second Glorious Coming!", but rather a very accurately measured astro-science determination!

Hang on to your bibles, oh yeah of fundamentalist faith!

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...E0N0LgbxC-_y7w

Old 07-14-2013, 09:39 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
So long and thanks for all the fish?

Old 07-14-2013, 11:05 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,597,616 times
Of course. The Anunnaki are watching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality