Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 11:41 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
How do you answer these questions?

Is it possible god doesn't exist?
Why do the neighbors believe in different god (or religion)?
How long (what age) do I have to go to church?
Are we [this religion] just because gramma/grandpa were and their parents were, etc?
What's the difference between believing and knowing?

Any other interesting (or difficult) questions they've asked? How did you answer them?
I have had a few conversations with my kids about God, I think they understand that I believe in God, but I don't know all the answers on this one.

We talked about why we go to church, and why we are so bad at regularly going to church.

My one son asked what God looks like, that was a tough one because he was pretty young...he was very confused when I said no one has ever seen God. I had to explain that I think there is God, but no one is really sure what God is like. There are many different religions and we all believe different things. In the end I think he was satisfied, but little kids have difficulty with abstract things.

I also talked to my daughter about my religious journey of checking in on many different religions to find which one I thought fit me best...but that I wasn't sure if it was the best one.

Anyway, God is a tough topic for kids, as it requires belief in something you can't see, unlike Santa where you see all over the place...I think Santa is easier to believe in as a child than God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 05:56 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
We found some good examples to use in explaining our perception of god. One example is electricity. You cannot see it, but it is there. very powerful. A better example is love. You cannot see love. But oyu can feel it and see its impact on people and on the world. It is very powerful. It is not something you can touch or see, but you feel it you know it is there. God is the same. Perhaps that is because God IS love. Ultimately, they will make their own decisions and choices. You can teach them what you believe, explain what you know about the beliefs of others. Allow them to learn the tenants of religion form Sunday school and VBS. Read the bible with them. IN the end, they will make their decision. You are not likely to change it. If they are to come to God, they will find their way one way or another. If they will reject God, that is probably going to happen regardless of what you do. You can make it easier for them or harder, but one way or another, they will eventually find their own way.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:32 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,399,568 times
Moving to the Religious forum...

Old 07-16-2013, 03:30 PM

195 posts, read 245,283 times
Quote:
Define God?

Quote:
As you (my kids) well know from speaking with them, the neighbors are typical ignorant Christians who haven't even read their own Bible.

Quote:
You never have to go to church/synagogue but that is the only place where you will find moral people if that is what you want.

Quote:
Are we [this religion] just because gramma/grandpa were and their parents were, etc?
Not applicable, grandparents are atheists and catholics and we are neither.

Quote:
critical thought

Quote:
Any other interesting (or difficult) questions they've asked? How did you answer them?
The hardest question is why not conform to the modern world. The answer is that the modern world is depraved just as Israel was at the time of the prophets. The real answer to this question comes from reading the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament).

Old 07-17-2013, 01:29 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times
Quote:
I often find explaining it to them in ways they naturally understand is best. When a child asks me about god I in turn ask the child about how (s)he imagines people when playing. This they understand.

I then tell them that "god" is what happens to adults when they forget how to tell the difference between what they imagined and what is real.

This generally puts it in perspective for them as Children are really very good at understanding just how real imagination can seem. So when you frame "god belief" in those terms they simultaneously understand you perfectly.... and are forewarned/inoculated against falling into the same traps themselves in their own future.

It also addresses most of the questions you just asked:

Quote:
Of course, in the same way as the heroes and villains in their games do not.

Quote:
The same reason as your friends imagine difference heroes and villains in their games as you do: Because everyone elses imagination and fantasies are different.

Quote:
That is entirely up to your own parents until such time as you are old enough to make your own choices. As for my own children.... they will never go unless they ask to.

And so on....

Old 07-17-2013, 07:07 AM

392 posts, read 248,222 times
"Is it possible god doesn't exist?"

I would say "sure. In fact, there are places where God doesnt exist because sin and God cannot coexist in the same heart.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:18 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:

Yes. And that is something for you to decide.

Quote:
Because people have different opinions and values.

Quote:
You don't have to go to church.

Quote:
People have traditions that are passed on from generation to generation. A lot of time, religion is one of them.

Quote:
Believing in something means you are not sure about. Knowing something means you are very sure about it.

Quote:
Some people believe in God, but no one knows for sure. I encourage you to learn about science and decide for yourself.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:50 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,001,605 times
My 6 year old grand daughter ask me that very question awhile back, my response to her question was, do you want God to exist, all people have a view of there being or not being a God, but this choice is up to you. She ask me if I believe in God, I told her that yes I do believe in something greater than myself but not in the way allot of people believe in this God. So in the most loving way I could I explained to her my view of God, she replied, I like your God. I told her that is was good that she is asking questions and that she should keep her mind open to new things all the time, that if it doesn't feel right then most likely it isn't right.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:53 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,752 times
Quote:

I adressed all of these questions with my child, not a difficult conversation. I told him exactly what I & his father believe, and what people from a variety of faith systems believe. I explained that the world is full of people with different beliefs and that he will need to determine his own beliefs throughout his life. My answers, in summary:

1) Of course. We all must figure this out for ourselves as individuals, for it is a question that mankind has wrestled with for thiusands of years. He will figure this out through reading, learning through education and life experiences, deep contemplation, listening to his heart, etc... Only he can determine what he believes to be the truth, and this may change several times throughout his life.

2) Because there are as many belief systems as there are people on this Earth. There are a few dominant religions (and then I describe them). It is important to understand a variety of belief systems because this will help him understand world politics and his fellow man. He may find that one religion "rings true" for him and embrace it, or he may not.

3) You do not have to go to church. You are absolutely allowed to attend any church, just let us know and we will take you (or you can go with a friend).

4) I explained all of the religions practiced by various family members. We (my husband and I) are not of any religion, though I have personal spiritual beliefs. My husband is an agnostic. His parents are fundamentalist Baptists, and my mother was raised in the Lutheran church.

5) Knowing comes from deep within. No one can give it to you or take it away. Sometimes believing is a choice -- someone chooses to believe a certain idea or concept even though they do not have inner conviction about it's truth. Some religions require that adherents embrace the beliefs and then pray for the inner knowing. Other religions emphasize a discovery of truth through direct knowing, whether that is done via the senses, mind, and/or heart.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:57 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,367,893 times
Blue. I don't have kids, and probably won't, since I'm not lucky in love.

Quote:

Anything's possible, what do you think?
Everyone has different thoughts and feelings, and ways of looking at the world. They're entitled to theirs and if you find you don't agree one day, you're entitled to yours. This is why different religions exist, not to "test" us.
As long as you want. Religion is a gift to yourself, not a duty.
Some religions are based on family ties. Religion does define where we come from. But at some point, it doesn't stay that way. As you grow older, you may find that you become driven to seek out your own personal beliefs.
Atheists may at some point tell you that they "know" better than something, but that's crap. In this world, knowledge of anything is impossible, unless we are a Sage or spiritual being, and manage to remember between lifetimes. We're trapped in this reality, and therefore can't prove that conditions are different after death or not. Knowledge or belief that comes from the head is a delusion. Belief comes from the heart, and believing in all your heart is the closest thing to knowing in this world. But we must use our heads to determine truth or falsehood through logic, lest we delude ourselves with fallacious reasoning.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality