Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 08:36 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,436,140 times

Advertisements

How do you answer these questions?

Is it possible god doesn't exist?
Why do the neighbors believe in different god (or religion)?
How long (what age) do I have to go to church?
Are we [this religion] just because gramma/grandpa were and their parents were, etc?
What's the difference between believing and knowing?

Any other interesting (or difficult) questions they've asked? How did you answer them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 08:56 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,905,041 times
I said that some people believe there is a god, some people don't, some people think its a woman, some people believe in many gods, some people think there is a spirit, some people think there is some good force in the world. Some people believe that god is an animal, which my kids loved. They loved talking about how god was maybe a jaguar or a butterfly. I just kind of went over all the different things people think - obviously condensed way down for kids- and they were totally cool with it.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:57 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,758,112 times
Both my husband are atheist/agnostic and we will let our son decide what he wants to believe. We wont exactly raise him atheist/agnostic, but we will not be going to church. If he decides he wants to go that route, I'll send him with a friend or something, I have a lot of religious friends. Heck, me and hubby are friends with a catholic priest for gosh sake, so its not like we hold disdain for religion and those who believe in it.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:05 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,321,367 times
I think you have to be open minded when answering, regardless of your own beliefs. Just say it how you see it, but tell them noone is right or wrong, because belief is something that comes from the heart so who knows...

Old 07-12-2013, 08:12 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
We are Christian, but we're of the open-minded and tolerant school of thought. I do not identify with those who feel that this is a "Christian country" and that the laws of the land should be based on the Bible.

So far, I haven't gotten questions about whether it's possible that God isn't real. I would field that with a "what do YOU think?" type of answer, I think. We do talk a lot about how other people believe other things, and that everyone's beliefs need to be respected, because they are as sure about their way being true as we are.

In general, I think that by the mid-teens, kids should be able to choose whether or not they go to church. My 10-year-old loves going to church, and my 12-year-old could take it or leave it, but for now he's mostly taking it. I don't make him go every Sunday, but I do sometimes. He enjoys youth group, so he does do that regularly. I don't want to force them to go, but I also don't accept, "I'd rather stay home and play video games than get dressed," as an excuse, either... now that we're in the pre-teen ages, it's a little harder. This parenting thing is a tough gig.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:24 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
I told mine the truth, as I believe it to be.
When they got older, they were able to discern things for themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
I think you have to be open minded when answering, regardless of your own beliefs. Just say it how you see it, but tell them noone is right or wrong, because belief is something that comes from the heart so who knows...
I cannot say no one is right or wrong, based on my beliefs. But tolerance and acceptance of others beliefs were stressed.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:01 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
So far as myself, I don't believe in god (reality/scientific type)...

- However I feel it is ok for others to do so. I don't try to tell other people (or kids) what they should think/believe in.

- I feel some churches do good things for some people and are ok for those people.

- I think some young selfish people (20's, 30's) could use a bit of church and "morality" these days. It would do them good!

Old 07-12-2013, 10:14 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,614 times
I'm agnostic. I will just tell him I don't know.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:49 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
I have had many conversations with my 7yo about these topics. In our family, we have many different beliefs represented, so I tell her Grandma believes this and Poppi believes that and Mommy believes this and Daddy believes that, etc, and what do you believe? My daughter seems to be a pretty convinced atheist for now, which I find interesting. We go to a Unitarian Universalist church, and that is all fine there. She enjoys coming to church right now, but knows that her dad stays home.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:36 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
It's interesting in our house because my wife is a firm believer in God, but I question it after being born and raised in a Southern Baptst home. Our 13 year old son is also a firm believer while our daughter doesn't seem to know yet what she believes. (The odd thing is that while I quesion my beliefs, I still capitalize God and Him when appropiate. Go figure.) I don't try to put my belief out there and would rather tham choose their own way. My wife and I do talk about it a lot and I believe she worries that I will die unexpectedly and go to Hell since I don't believe.

We tell them to be tolerant and accepting of what others believe. I've said that, logically, it's a big world and people will often believe different things. Many times people sitting beside each other in churches will believe many different things. They aren't made to go to church every Sunday. I was growing up and look where that got me. But on days when we decide to go as a family, they go. Some times we will decide that a family day on a day trip somewhere is better for us than sitting in a church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality