Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 08:17 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macpherson View Post
Please lay out exactly what you want for evidence so that a) your OP makes sense and b) we can see if Bible God is so ridiculous....fair is fair and you all clicked on Spirituality forum together with the proposition no one else, over to you or anyone else who thinks they have a better idea for a God to interact with the known creation then Bible god....also the question assumes a god of some kind. Go ahead people.
Finally . . . a semi-understandable post. This is correct. The Op should delineate what he wants evidence of that he would consider evidence of God. Clearly the very "Nature" we inhabit is a God relative to us. It is the source of everything. Its laws and processes govern everything. It is inscrutable, ubiquitous, vast and largely incomprehensible . . . despite our scientific best efforts to dissect it. Its scope and power is surely that of God relative to us puny creatures. Surely these things are at least the minimum evidence for God. What other kind of evidence will convince the OP that God exists? I know the other attributes he seeks are more problematic . . . but at the minimum there is sufficient evidence to credit the existence of God . . . if we don't exclude it all as some inscrutable and unknown "Nature and natural."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 08:24 PM

545 posts, read 451,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Finally . . . a semi-understandable post. This is correct. The Op should delineate what he wants evidence of that he would consider evidence of God. Clearly the very "Nature" we inhabit is a God relative to us. It is the source of everything. Its laws and processes govern everything. It is inscrutable, ubiquitous, vast and largely incomprehensible . . . despite our scientific best efforts to dissect it. Its scope and power is surely that of God relative to us puny creatures. Surely these things are at least the minimum evidence for God. What other kind of evidence will convince the OP that God exists? I know the other attributes he seeks are more problematic . . . but at the minimum there is sufficient evidence to credit the existence of God . . . if we don't exclude it all as some inscrutable and unknown "Nature and natural."
I object to the word finally plus the re wording of my thought is un-necessarily congested.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:32 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macpherson View Post
I object to the word finally plus the re wording of my thought is un-necessarily congested.
We miss you when you're gone 'gazzer.

Which, luckily for us, is hardly ever.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:37 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Knowing is better than blind belief...believe that "He" is able to be experienced for those that seek Him with a quiless heart.

Gosh, I LOVE this.

Good stuff, Miss Hepburn. As always.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:38 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsider View Post
To the OP, the answer is a resounding NO. Why fool oneself?
I'm just curious to know if there are some people - even among those reading this forum - who believe that God and the Son of God are uniquely beyond any kind of external proof/evidence.

That is, even if no empirical or rational evidence were ever found that they exist, it would make no difference. They would still be very real anyway and should be believed in - based on scripture, revelation, oral traditions, mystical experiences, church teachings, etc.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:40 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
It is NOT okay to believe in ANYTHING without evidence ...
Ultimate evidence of anything can never be achieved. Believing or not believing in God is a choice..atheists do not have ultimate evidence nor to believers- I would say it is better to believe than not- what harm does it do to have faith?

Old 07-25-2013, 08:53 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Ultimate evidence of anything can never be achieved. Believing or not believing in God is a choice..atheists do not have ultimate evidence nor to believers- I would say it is better to believe than not- what harm does it do to have faith?
Sorry, believing is NOT a choice. Either you see evidence that convinces you or not. One can deny evidence or evidence to the contrary, but it is NOT a choice.

It does not harm to simply believe, but it does harm society when those beliefs are legislated and it harms children when they are indoctrinated to believe, ignoring scientific evidence and failing to think critically.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
It's not about the book.

It's not about the book.

It's not about the book.

Got it?

It's about the evidence that convinces one God does exist. Evidence that I've presented a 1000 times only to have it summarily dismissed by skeptics who believe God and the spiritual do not exist.

I think it would foolish and delusional to believe in God without any sort of evidence.

It would be helpful if his post made sense.
GOOD evidence is required, of which you have presented none that I can recall.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I read more posts...a book is not evidence...it is scratchings on the cave wall,
There might even be a finger pointing to an escape out of the cave...but
the finger drawing
is not evidence of anything.
Anyone that thinks so is not thinking with all oars in the water...

The finger pointing to the moon is not the moon.
Considering your claims, you really have no room to comment on what others use as evidence. At least books are tangible, while your hallucinations mean even less.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:01 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Sorry, believing is NOT a choice. Either you see evidence that convinces you or not. One can deny evidence or evidence to the contrary, but it is NOT a choice.

It does not harm to simply believe, but it does harm society when those beliefs are legislated and it harms children when they are indoctrinated to believe, ignoring scientific evidence and failing to think critically.
Sure it's a choice. My choice is based on the intellectual pondering of the God factor...I could just as well choose to be an atheists but my intellect tells me that would be falling short of probability and possibility. It is not impossible that there is a God- That is a fact. My kids are not indoctrinated in any manner...it's their choice to believe or not. There is no "ignoring" of scientific evidence and there is no failing in critical thinking...Science is not all knowing and never will be- just like faith science is on going learning...I am not going to institute my thinking and stop thinking because YOU think - YOU have the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality