U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2013, 08:14 PM

7,367 posts, read 6,537,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
We are saved by grace, by God's grace, something we do not deserve, we obviously can't save ourselves,we need a Savior and that is through knowing God who sent His Son Jesus Christ to die on the cross for our sins.

So yes the people who have committed some of the most heinous crimes and turn to the Lord for their salvation more than likely will be saved as God is the only one who knows the true heart of an individual.
But, you failed to answer the question. Is this not unjust to reward someone who was a mass murderer and condemn one who lived as the Bible Jesus described?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 08:22 PM

7,936 posts, read 8,514,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
But, you failed to answer the question. Is this not unjust to reward someone who was a mass murderer and condemn one who lived as the Bible Jesus described?
Dumb question. Mass murderer-bad person. Living the teaching of the Bible, good person.

Maybe you should just ask why Jesus would pardon a mass murderer.

Or maybe you ask Troutguy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
We need no saving. That's a man-made concept.

It is my belief the Creator demands nothing.

But my sense is, S/he/it is pleased by recognition of, and appreciation for, the gifts provided.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:09 PM

5,187 posts, read 5,432,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
perry, my question to you, how do you know this? How do you know that by your God's grace you're going to be saved? Did your God tell you this? and saved from what? Who told you this and where does this kind of belief come from?
Bible, bible, yes, hell, bible, bible

Old 07-28-2013, 09:25 PM

23,455 posts, read 12,130,388 times
Quote:
That's the best illustration - in the fewest words - of the typical fundamentalist mindset that I've ever read.

Notice the word "think," or any of its synonyms, is totally absent.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:58 PM

5,187 posts, read 5,432,270 times
Yea, you are right it isn't about religion it is what we gain from reading the bible, one's path to salvation.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:57 AM

10,494 posts, read 10,082,991 times
[quote=Mr5150;30705599]There is this book, which contains information about God. Many people feel it is correct in what it says. It speaks of God's grace.

The book of which you speak of is a sacred book for a particular religious belief and although the members of that religious belief feel that that book is correct there are those who don't. I have a certain amount of respect for sacred books that does not mean that I believe everything that is written within those sacred books so they're not sacred to me. I mean no disrespect but I just don't believe in them.

My question: why and what makes you think-and I say this with all respect-that your spiritual path is correct?

You ask a perfectly valid question and I cannot put into words how I feel about the spiritual path that I follow. The only thing that I can say is that it feels right for me, it does not mean that it is right for everybody else and I do not pretend to think that it is. We are all supposed to follow our own path through this life's journey and no two paths are exactly alike.

Time has passed since I DM'd you as to my experience with the Shaman-spirit in the Sierras. Just as a way of reminder. So I know your spirituality is for real.

and I thank you and respect you for sharing that with me.

So upon what do you base your belief system?

Christians (should) base their belief system on personal experience with God and a book written by those who were given revelation by God in a most powerful and definite way. God speaks to me thru his Spirit and the book.

I would hope that perry seems things in the same way as I.

My spiritual belief system is based on what I've been taught and from what I have experience and observed throughout my life to this point, my journey is not over and if my Creator looks upon me favorably my journey will be a long one.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:27 PM

8,627 posts, read 5,134,941 times
Default Gandhi said other things, too

[quote=ptsum;30719723]Moderator cut: Orphaned

Gandhi also said, "If it were not for Christians, I would be a Christian."

I think it indicates that he had much respect for Jesus in the Bible (and you know he had to be aware of Buddhism and Islam), but not much respect for those who claim His name. The difference, I believe, was that Jesus walked his talk while many Christians espouse their particular theology, while walking in antithesis to the life of the one they say they worship.

Last edited by june 7th; 07-30-2013 at 03:52 PM..

Old 07-30-2013, 10:11 AM

10,494 posts, read 10,082,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Gandhi also said, "If it were not for Christians, I would be a Christian."

I think it indicates that he had much respect for Jesus in the Bible (and you know he had to be aware of Buddhism and Islam), but not much respect for those who claim His name. The difference, I believe, was that Jesus walked his talk while many Christians espouse their particular theology, while walking in antithesis to the life of the one they say they worship.

He may have had respect for Jesus but I don't think he had any respect for Christians, but then again God didn't invent Christianity and neither did Jesus. Christianity was the invention of Paul, a mere man.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:08 PM

10,193 posts, read 10,573,276 times
Quote:
We have a word for this. It's called bibliolatry---the worship of the book rather than the truths contained within it and most Fundamentalists are guilty of this grave sin of idolatry.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:52 PM

34,801 posts, read 8,982,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Dumb question. Mass murderer-bad person. Living the teaching of the Bible, good person.

Maybe you should just ask why Jesus would pardon a mass murderer.

Or maybe you ask Troutguy:
From what I understand, Jesus would pardon a mass -murderer if he believes in Jesus. He doesn't even need to repent, so long as he has some sort of self -justification for having done it (like that dude in Norway) and if he just does it 'No more' (John 8.11) that is enough to get him into heaven, scot -free.

However, a mass -murderer, even if he truly repents for what he did, will not be saved (or pardoned) if he does NOT believe in Jesus.

Essentially, it is religious beliefs that will save someone (according to the doctrine of Christianity) not whether they have done good or bad things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or