Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 11:27 AM

1,974 posts, read 1,940,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
The IQ vs religiosity sheet didn't show up, but it's bullocks. Japan is a very spiritual country, it is just that their religious way of life is hard to put into a western context.

If they ever did one of those surveys that included atheists, agnostics, Christians, Pagans, Buddhists, etc, I can 100% guarantee you that converts to Zen Buddhism or Wicca, or even Gnostics would rank higher in IQ than atheists, even if atheists do rank higher than mainstream Christians.

It takes brains to convert to and understand Zen...it does not take a leap of intellectual prowess to say "meh, I don't believe in God"

it's does not take brains to convert to Zen. anybody can convert to Zen

Religion in Japan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most Japanese do not exclusively identify themselves as adherents of a single religion; rather, they incorporate elements of various religions in a syncretic fashion[SIZE=3][3][/SIZE] known as Shinbutsu shūgō (神仏習合, amalgamation of kami and buddhas[SIZE=2]?[/SIZE]). Shinbutsu Shūgō officially ended with the Shinto and Buddhism Separation Order of 1886, but continues in practice. Shinto and Japanese Buddhism are therefore best understood not as two completely separate and competing faiths, but rather as a single, rather complex religious system.[SIZE=3][4][/SIZE]
Japan enjoys full religious freedom and minority religions such as Christianity, Islam, Hinduism and Sikhism are practiced. Figures that state 84% to 96% of Japanese adhere to Shinto and Buddhism are not based on self-identification but come primarily from birth records, following a longstanding practice of officially associating a family line with a local Buddhist temple or Shinto shrine.[SIZE=3][5][/SIZE][SIZE=3][6][/SIZE][SIZE=3][7][/SIZE][SIZE=3][8][/SIZE] About 70% of Japanese profess no religious membership,[SIZE=3][9][/SIZE][SIZE=3][10][/SIZE] according to Johnstone (1993:323), 84% of the Japanese claim no personal religion. In census questionnaires, less than 15% reported any formal religious affiliation by 2000.[SIZE=3][11][/SIZE] And according to Demerath (2001:138), 65% do not believe in God, and 55% do not believe in Buddha.[SIZE=3][12][/SIZE] According to Edwin Reischauer, and Marius Jansen, some 70–80% of the Japanese regularly tell pollsters they do not consider themselves believers in any religion.[SIZE=3][3][/SIZE]

Last edited by Meester-Chung; 08-23-2013 at 12:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 11:29 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,583,980 times
Well back in christianitys heyday people got punished for not attending church here in sweden,
now that we don't we're free again.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:52 AM

110 posts, read 165,752 times
As a child in the '60's I did go to Sunday school at the white wooden methodist chapel, along with the other poor kids - we didn't go to the high Church because that was for rich people - they wouldn't actually turn you away but you certainly weren't made welcome. I do believe that a high percentage of adults went to Church then predominantly so that they wouldn't get talked about behind their back. Yes, Church attendance is low here now, but judging by the amount of charitable work they do those that go are extremely active in the community, and generally well respected. We still have Sunday trading laws (six hours maximum) and very strict trading laws relating to Easter Sunday. I get the impression there are a lot more agnostics here than atheists, with most people still having a morality based upon Christian principles, just without the devotional element. There is certainly a huge interest in personal spirituality and personal growth here, and the usual enquiries into 'the meaning of life', and such like.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:18 PM

31,041 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
Also, the internet has seriously accelerated it. Back as recently as 1995, it's not like you could Google "Biblical contradictions" and get a humongous list of them. You used to actually have to seek out atheistic arguments yourself, in the library or by buying a book. So if you were only exposed to Christianity at a young age, it's much more likely you would accept it.

PS. IQ is an absolute hoax and the most meaningless metric imaginable.
It's mainly there to give MENSA members something to become self absorbed over

Old 08-23-2013, 12:20 PM

1,974 posts, read 1,940,422 times

The Internet: Where religions come to die - YouTube

Old 08-23-2013, 01:24 PM

545 posts, read 451,877 times
its because the middle class who represent the majority have so much on their plate to compete and live up to in the commercialized suggestion of success and the reality of needs in what is needed for certainty-freedom, that going to church or becoming very spiritually interested is not exactly in step....reason being survival in order for anything is greatly suggested in distractions to be at a certain stage or what you could say the freedom is narrowed in the theme's for accomplishment and certainty...so the family unit becomes threatened....finance's and money is the world known largest issue with break up....expectations play a huge role in how people distinguish priorities...so then in some evidence many would be seen in christian events...all that in the traditional and predominately spiritual but not the time of day to go to church, work , sundays, needs. ...its not a top shelf issue, more likened to war...people generally don't go to church while in the middle of warring. And habits form as well if change for the better come about.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:53 PM

3 posts, read 5,655 times
Default Church of the new crusade

The church seems to think that if they change their direction of faith to all loving people friendly rubbish people will come,do you remember the saying " I am a God fearing man", well there's the truth of it. God is to be respected worshipped and held in reverence, hell does exist and is waiting for you if you do not atone for your sins, forgiveness has to be earned not just granted. People were once too scared of the consequences lest they offend Almighty God, people attended church to keep on Gods good side. Get your bums on seats people get right with God,because believe it or not God does send people to hell and my lord Satan is waiting! If you think I am a crack pot just wait till it starts getting warm and remember "I told you so".
THE WORLD IS BEGGING FOR THE OLD TYPE FIRE AND BRIMSTONE SERMONS THAT'S WHAT WILL BRING YOUR PEOPLE BACK! It works for me,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
Europe used to be the center and heart of Christianity, but since the past few decades church attendance have declined significantly, and faith in general have dropped. Yes, there are parts of Europe that are more religious than others, but countries that were significantly religious have become much more secular and irreligious now. Christianity has become more cultural than religious nowadays. This is true for Judaism as well where most Jews do not even belong to any synagogue, and most Jewish Israelis are very secular. Large Jewish minority do not even believe in God. Islamic faith have also declined in countries such as Turkey where people may put "Muslim" on paper but are not practicing it. Religion have also slightly declined in the Americas, but still much stronger than most of Europe. Even Quebec used to be very religious, but now most are cultural Catholics only. Italy, Spain, Portugal, Austria, etc. are similar to Quebec.

What's the reason behind his? Some people say it is temporarily because people have become wealthier and not in need of prayers and comfort, and some say because they are young and healthy now, but will become more religious once getting older or sick.

Religion has increased in developing nations though, while slightly declined in western world. However, most Europeans still claim to be Christians, including most people in the Americas.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:52 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
The Muslim religion seems to be on the rise in Europe.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:45 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasserine De Goya View Post
The church seems to think that if they change their direction of faith to all loving people friendly rubbish people will come,do you remember the saying " I am a God fearing man", well there's the truth of it. God is to be respected worshipped and held in reverence, hell does exist and is waiting for you if you do not atone for your sins, forgiveness has to be earned not just granted. People were once too scared of the consequences lest they offend Almighty God, people attended church to keep on Gods good side. Get your bums on seats people get right with God,because believe it or not God does send people to hell and my lord Satan is waiting! If you think I am a crack pot just wait till it starts getting warm and remember "I told you so".
THE WORLD IS BEGGING FOR THE OLD TYPE FIRE AND BRIMSTONE SERMONS THAT'S WHAT WILL BRING YOUR PEOPLE BACK! It works for me,
After reading your post, I'm reasonably certain that what works for you, will, most likely, work for few others.

And I am relieved.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:54 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Can it be that maybe it's not the fault of the actual religion itself, but the greed, prejudice, and corruption of religious institutions that caused people to become disenchanted with it? Many people see the church as a money grubbing corporation that shelters it's leaders and exploits everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality