Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2010, 12:06 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian_catholic View Post
These are quotes from atheist historians:
ATHEIST historians??? Why do you people consider it necessary to lie so much?

Quote:
Howard Marshall
Ian Howard Marshall (born 1934) is Professor Emeritus of New TestamentExegesis and honorary research professor at the University of Aberdeen, Scotland, specifically in the department of Divinity and Religious Studies. He is also the chair of the Tyndale Fellowship for Biblical and Theological Research and was formerly president of the British New Testament Society and chair of the Fellowship of European Evangelical Theologians. identifies as an Arminian Evangelical Methodist.
(Wiki)
He's a Theologian.

Quote:
Michael Grant
A writer with no academic qualifications in the field he's writing about.

Quote:
Will Durant
A philosopher.

Quote:
Rudolf Bultmann
A German theologian. (Lutheran)

Quote:
Robert Van Voorst
Professor of New Testament Studies at Western Theological Seminary
A Theologian.

Quote:
Graham Stanton
Professor of Divinity at Cambridge University
He's a Theologian.

Quote:
Richard Carrier
The only one you got right.

So why don't you tell us why you have to lie by giving a list of academics that you claim are "atheist historians" when clearly, they are not atheist? Is the 'truth' of your beliefs so shaky that you have to blatantly 'Lie for Jesus'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 03:44 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Regardless of what anyone "believes" Jesus Christ was in actuality...He sure turned out to be what's been claimed He was/is.

I submit...Not only was/is He the "Way and the Truth" for more people than any other person there ever was...He was/is the "Way and the Truth" for more people than ALL the other people there ever was PUT TOGETHER. And I'm saying EEEEEEEEEVERYBODY...from the greatest to the smallest, put together...don't command the "hearts" of men like He does.

I've just begun to learn about this. The reason for that "influence" is...Jesus is an integral aspect of the Universal Field that founds and establishes our existence, and His "mojo" is "applied" through that Cosmic Consciousness...so He was/is/and always will be "ALL THAT" to mankind. It is that Universal Field that is the ONLY force/power that is "part" of ANYTHING and EVERYTHING...thus Jesus is part of each and every one of us.

So, nevermind we consider, "Did Jesus ever Exist?"...if ANYTHING exists...Jesus exists.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:42 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Regardless of what anyone "believes" Jesus Christ was in actuality...He sure turned out to be what's been claimed He was/is.

I submit...Not only was/is He the "Way and the Truth" for more people than any other person there ever was...He was/is the "Way and the Truth" for more people than ALL the other people there ever was PUT TOGETHER. And I'm saying EEEEEEEEEVERYBODY...from the greatest to the smallest, put together...don't command the "hearts" of men like He does.

I've just begun to learn about this. The reason for that "influence" is...Jesus is an integral aspect of the Universal Field that founds and establishes our existence, and His "mojo" is "applied" through that Cosmic Consciousness...so He was/is/and always will be "ALL THAT" to mankind. It is that Universal Field that is the ONLY force/power that is "part" of ANYTHING and EVERYTHING...thus Jesus is part of each and every one of us.

So, nevermind we consider, "Did Jesus ever Exist?"...if ANYTHING exists...Jesus exists.
Well Said, Grasshopper!!

Old 08-14-2010, 11:32 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
You haven't absorbed much in your time here have you. Argumentum ad Populum doesn't mean the belief is true...only that it's popular.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:40 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Did Jesus ever exist?

No, he did not.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:41 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
You haven't absorbed much in your time here have you. Argumentum ad Populum doesn't mean the belief is true...only that it's popular.
Gldrule and Mystic again display their complete illogicality.

That millions of people have found inspiration in the myth of Christ no more means that he really existed than the inspiration a girl violinist found in Harry Potter makes him real.

You must see, Mystic, mate, that applauding such illogic only makes your claim to have science supporting your theories also look very questionable.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
I've absorbed a lot Raf'...just not from you. Well, I take that back...there are those great "vintage snark" examples of yours that have been really educational.

And let's get something straight...Ad pop may not "necessarily" mean a belief is true---But OVERWHELMING ad pop...among hundreds and hundreds of millions of an educated and perceptive populace...especially if many intellectual superlatives are counted among them...does MUCH MORE than demonstrate "only that it's popular". Only the truly ignorant would say consensus of that magnitude counts for NOTHING. Ad pop is also a very valuable tool to assist in the assessment of indirect, secondary, and circumstantial evidence...and would certainly have the effect of requiring any dissenting determination to produce all that much more objective verification to be able to weigh against it.

Many cases in this world have been determined without any direct evidence...for determinations that meet the standard of "beyond a reasonable doubt" are rarely not considered sufficient. Whenever it occurs that is declared to be insufficient... it is usually indicative of a biased "axe grinder", not an inaccurate determination. And, I submit...in the "Did Jesus Exist Case"...it would require EPIC bias to rule on the side of a dissenting determination.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Gldrule and Mystic again display their complete illogicality.

That millions of people have found inspiration in the myth of Christ no more means that he really existed than the inspiration a girl violinist found in Harry Potter makes him real.

You must see, Mystic, mate, that applauding such illogic only makes your claim to have science supporting your theories also look very questionable.
Wrong. What is on display is your total bias.

I submit...It's typical of people to put their life on the line every day, during a myriad of different activities (like motor vehicle operation)...with no empirical evidence assuring their safety...but then, all of a sudden INSIST they NEED empirical evidence when debating an issue that, regardless of determination, has no potential to cause them any physical harm what-so-ever. How disingenuous can you get?!!

Old 08-15-2010, 07:36 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
I've absorbed a lot Raf'...just not from you. Well, I take that back...there are those great "vintage snark" examples of yours that have been really educational.

And let's get something straight...Ad pop may not "necessarily" mean a belief is true---But OVERWHELMING ad pop...among hundreds and hundreds of millions of an educated and perceptive populace...especially if many intellectual superlatives are counted among them...does MUCH MORE than demonstrate "only that it's popular". Only the truly ignorant would say consensus of that magnitude counts for NOTHING. Ad pop is also a very valuable tool to assist in the assessment of indirect, secondary, and circumstantial evidence...and would certainly have the effect of requiring any dissenting determination to produce all that much more objective verification to be able to weigh against it.

Many cases in this world have been determined without any direct evidence...for determinations that meet the standard of "beyond a reasonable doubt" are rarely not considered sufficient. Whenever it occurs that is declared to be insufficient... it is usually indicative of a biased "axe grinder", not an inaccurate determination. And, I submit...in the "Did Jesus Exist Case"...it would require EPIC bias to rule on the side of a dissenting determination.
I think you must mean add poop, and lots of it...

Old 08-15-2010, 07:52 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Wrong. What is on display is your total bias.

I submit...It's typical of people to put their life on the line every day, during a myriad of different activities (like motor vehicle operation)...with no empirical evidence assuring their safety...but then, all of a sudden INSIST they NEED empirical evidence when debating an issue that, regardless of determination, has no potential to cause them any physical harm what-so-ever. How disingenuous can you get?!!
You really need to take a basic course in logical reasoning.

We go through life using experience. Faith based on experience, knowledge of what we are dealing with and how things work. It is not sure-fire but it is good enough to work with. We KNOW our car might not start. We KNOW that it might not be safe to cross the road. We make allowances for that.

Faith in any religion is, of course, based on what they have been told. But, unlike roads and cars, their faith proves nothing. Only the validity of the various Holy Books prove anything at all and what they prove is nothing like enough.

That millions of people trust their car to start proves that the science behind car engines in reliable.

That millions of people believe in Jesus proves nothing because the Bible is not a believable document. The 'science' behind it does not stack up. Belief in a religion through personal conviction proves nothing. Belief in a religion through miracles proves nothing.

There was a time when NO-ONE believed in Jesus. They all believed in Graeco - roman type religions. Were their veiws valid? I doubt you would say so. You's say they were all misquided.

That is what we argue here, that the belief of millions is based on nothing reliable, therefore their massive belief logically proves nothing whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality