Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2013, 10:13 AM

31,374 posts, read 20,077,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I love the way all you pseudo-scientists love to throw around other peoples work as if it's fact without doing your own research on the issue and believing it because it is what you want to believe...Just like the sheeple that take as gospel truth those theologians that speak to what they want to hear as truth and not doing their own objective study...I see no difference between the two types...
Your inability to differentiate would be your problem.

Most of us can figure it out just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 10:44 AM

32,530 posts, read 21,926,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Your inability to differentiate would be your problem.

Most of us can figure it out just fine.

Uh huh...sure

Old 09-01-2013, 11:47 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,888,204 times
Default So now Richard... repeat after me: Repeatable. Repeatable.

From this:

"I love the way all you pseudo-scientists love to throw around other peoples work as if it's fact without doing your own research on the issue and believing it because it is what you want to believe"

What about us real scientists? Do you believe us in our particular areas of expertise? Even when we do, yep, re-do any interesting or controversial experiment(s)? Or do you OK the results (when they rarely...) only when they fit with your hugely technically illiterate and fully uneducated models?

You also know, so that when you so fervently hate those inarguable results, you can still go and check up on those obvious scientist-based biases and lies, right?

And yet, no-one in Christianity EVER does or has done this. Hmmm... And so... why is that, Richard? Answer me that, just this one time. (Betcha won't! NOTE: "We have nothing to fear but fear itself!")

Well then Richard olde soak... would you please refer us to where you have, personally or through the church, re-done any professionally published research, the conclusions of which you or they absolutely do NOT agree with? (Like, for instance, all the recent DNA proven evolution studies?) And then where you've had your seminal research works and conclusions accepted by an established and credible peer-review group of academics? And then and published for comment and public review?

I'll wait....

This is the essential basis of The SM, (you do know what The SM is, right? Or no? I mean, in detail, such as it is...) to propagate, review and possibly correct such honest repeatable and then peer-reviewed and subsequently PUBLISHED results and works.

Science is NOTHING if not honest and open to correcting it's possible errors. If it's wrong, so be it. Let's check up and revise our understandings! Hardly something to be viciously held against it, except by the fear-mongering and fact-fiddling Christian Apologists.

Unlike where The Mythical but Inerrant Bible, no matter what it says, is always true. Especially like that now-inarguable part about how long the earth's been around? That one which required a humble but really late and instant re-calculation by the fundies with their neo-claim of God's own multi-million year-long revision of His Golden Time Scale, but JUST for that one event.

Wow!! He's just not that omnipotent, now is HE? Musta been very tiring for His olden dayz muscles, eh?

Meantime, we have your unquestioned obedience to an old (Oh, and re-authored many many times, btw...) biblical text, which so thinly covers the huge events like God's Creation, Genesis, the finished ( hee heee...) Universe, which you guys once stated was instantly laid down, with it's easily counted annual sediment layers, and so on, as to be wickedly laughable and well... stuppitt beyond words!!

Yup: very confidence-inspiring!

And you guys claim that it's us who are dishonest? Whaddah loaddahh....

Last edited by rifleman; 09-01-2013 at 12:02 PM..

Old 09-01-2013, 01:23 PM

32,530 posts, read 21,926,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
From this:

"I love the way all you pseudo-scientists love to throw around other peoples work as if it's fact without doing your own research on the issue and believing it because it is what you want to believe"

What about us real scientists? Do you believe us in our particular areas of expertise? Even when we do, yep, re-do any interesting or controversial experiment(s)? Or do you OK the results (when they rarely...) only when they fit with your hugely technically illiterate and fully uneducated models?

You also know, so that when you so fervently hate those inarguable results, you can still go and check up on those obvious scientist-based biases and lies, right?

And yet, no-one in Christianity EVER does or has done this. Hmmm... And so... why is that, Richard? Answer me that, just this one time. (Betcha won't! NOTE: "We have nothing to fear but fear itself!")

Well then Richard olde soak... would you please refer us to where you have, personally or through the church, re-done any professionally published research, the conclusions of which you or they absolutely do NOT agree with? (Like, for instance, all the recent DNA proven evolution studies?) And then where you've had your seminal research works and conclusions accepted by an established and credible peer-review group of academics? And then and published for comment and public review?

I'll wait....

This is the essential basis of The SM, (you do know what The SM is, right? Or no? I mean, in detail, such as it is...) to propagate, review and possibly correct such honest repeatable and then peer-reviewed and subsequently PUBLISHED results and works.

Science is NOTHING if not honest and open to correcting it's possible errors. If it's wrong, so be it. Let's check up and revise our understandings! Hardly something to be viciously held against it, except by the fear-mongering and fact-fiddling Christian Apologists.

Unlike where The Mythical but Inerrant Bible, no matter what it says, is always true. Especially like that now-inarguable part about how long the earth's been around? That one which required a humble but really late and instant re-calculation by the fundies with their neo-claim of God's own multi-million year-long revision of His Golden Time Scale, but JUST for that one event.

Wow!! He's just not that omnipotent, now is HE? Musta been very tiring for His olden dayz muscles, eh?

Meantime, we have your unquestioned obedience to an old (Oh, and re-authored many many times, btw...) biblical text, which so thinly covers the huge events like God's Creation, Genesis, the finished ( hee heee...) Universe, which you guys once stated was instantly laid down, with it's easily counted annual sediment layers, and so on, as to be wickedly laughable and well... stuppitt beyond words!!

Yup: very confidence-inspiring!

And you guys claim that it's us who are dishonest? Whaddah loaddahh....

You are by no means a scientist...

Old 09-01-2013, 01:29 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,077,679 times
Quote:
You just keep digging a deeper hole.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:31 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,119,462 times
Quote:
Don't be deliberately stupid, Richard. There are in fact many bona fide scientists on these boards. Yes, people who - everyday - do original research and publish in peer-reviewed journals.

Richard, You are by no means a scientist.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:48 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,575,081 times
A fundamental cornerstone of science is that a fact must be falsifiable.
The theory of Gods existance is not falsifiable, hence scientifically impossible to investigate.

In contrast we can for example look at the theory of gravity, nobody have ever managed to drop a heavy object inside a lighter medium without seeing it dropping to the floor without a force countering the pull of gravity.
It is thus falsifiable, because as soon as we see this occur, the theory of gravity will fall.
(And NO; that the exact math have had to be recalculated about 1 billionth of the previously believed force to make more exact calculations does not falsify it)

Hence belief in god/the theory that god(s) exists can not be encouraged by science.

Also just look at the cycle of religions...
just about every race of men have worshipped something at some point, mostly pagan gods, based on harvest, sex, war, etc. monotheists would have been mocked back then.
Then it evolved a bit to the more sofisticated greek/roman/egyptian/norse gods, and during their "reign" the old gods were considered nonsense.
So along comes judaism and sprouting from it came Christianity and islam. Let's say I made a huge fire at the end of december along with some sacrifices in honor of Tor, Oden, Frej and Balder... people would look at me like I'm an idiot.
Now let's have a guess how people will view christians, jews and muslim in say another thousand-twothousand years?
I won't be around to collect, otherwise I'd wager they'd think we had too much weed laying around...

Old 09-01-2013, 03:22 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,919,291 times
Quote:
I will agree with you on that one!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-01-2013, 04:26 PM

33,512 posts, read 37,042,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
I will agree with you on that one!!!!!!!!!!
Rifleman definitely is a scientist....Why are you putting your ignorance on display?

Old 09-01-2013, 05:07 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,784,464 times
Quote:

You keep using that word. - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality