Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 07:13 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,244 times

Advertisements

Would you respect your child's religious preference?

If you were devoutly religious and your teenager stopped believing would you respect their decision?
Would you still force them to go to church?

If you are atheist would you support your child in their new found belief?
Help them find a church to attend yet not attend yourself?

Being atheist myself, if one of my children decided to look into religion I would support them, show them books on it, I'd help them find a church but would not attend with them. I would share my experiences with religion and why I don't believe and why I don't feel like its worth believing in but would let them know that their decision is up to them. They'll be raised atheist and told why from a very young age why mommy and daddy don't believe, you know when they ask about god.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 07:16 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Yes.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:24 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
I was made to go to church every Sunday and Wednesday. Hated it, rebelled against it. I would go out with friends on Saturday and drink and then go to church on Sunday because I had to. It turned me off of both Christians and Christianity. So what my kids decide forthemselves is fine with me. Somehow, my son is turning into a pretty devout Christian on his own.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:41 AM

158 posts, read 210,393 times
I would expect him to be an atheist like myself but his mother's family is religious. I will accept his preferences of course.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:18 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,244,561 times
Yes. I hope she won't get into any religion but if it happens then I will support her (but if she asks my opinion on her beliefs that I will answer honestly even though she might not like it).

Old 08-01-2013, 08:19 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,433,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Would you respect your child's religious preference?

NO

If you were devoutly religious and your teenager stopped believing would you respect their decision?
YES

Would you still force them to go to church?

NO

If you are atheist would you support your child in their new found belief?
NO

Help them find a church to attend yet not attend yourself?
NO

Being atheist myself, if one of my children decided to look into religion I would support them
I wouldn't do anything to assist anybody to believe in what is most likely a myth. It is nothing short of brainwashing. Moderator Cut.

Last edited by Jaded; 08-01-2013 at 11:00 PM.. Reason: Flaming and argumentative

Old 08-01-2013, 08:19 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
I take my kids to church now. They're 12 and 10. Sometimes the 12 year old says he doesn't want to go, but the reason is because he wants to play video games. He doesn't care much for Sunday morning services but likes the Sunday night youth group. So for now I'm still making this decision for him, but I would say that within the next couple of years, it will be more up to him. If he said that he didn't believe or wanted to try other religions, then I'd respect that, but since his reasoning has to do with just being a child, I'm not going to give him the reins just yet in this matter.

My 10 year old loves church, so that's not an issue at all. Still, by the time she's high school aged, I think that she'll need to make her own decision as well.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:13 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Yes. I respect anyone's choice, so why would it be different with my kids?

Old 08-01-2013, 09:22 AM

8,053 posts, read 7,419,522 times
If the only reason my teenage son claims to be an atheist is so he can sleep in on Sunday after drinking and fornicating on Saturday night, then I would not support him. If he could coherently explain his decision and still remain a responsible young man, then I might support him.

The key word here is "atheist". I would not and do not support "anti-theists".

Old 08-01-2013, 09:26 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
I wouldn't do anything to assist anybody to believe in what is most likely a myth. It is nothing short of brainwashing.
I think it's a bunch if hocus pocus too but if they wanted to attend a church to see what it was like I would allow them to go and see what it was like but I sure wouldn't go with them.

I went to church this year for Easter with my grandmother to make her happy, it was awful, the paste or whatever they're called was wearing make up, had in like a head set, there was a projector with synchronized music, it was very SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY, JESUS JESUS JESUS!! Bibles half off this weekend only!!!!!!! It was so fake. I would support my child going to see the fakeness.

Last edited by Jaded; 08-01-2013 at 11:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality