Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 12:05 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Do demons exist, yes, but only in the minds of those who choose to give these so called demons a refuge.
In other words, you don' know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I call it nonsense stories made up to frighten the naive...Facts require evidence...What evidence do you have that demons or anything else spiritual actually exists? Show us.
Anecdotal evidence is sufficient for a court of law. Every nation, every people, every faith, worldwide has volumes of anecdotal evidence. Open your eyes. Its there

Old 08-09-2013, 01:04 PM

33,540 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Anecdotal evidence is sufficient for a court of law. Every nation, every people, every faith, worldwide has volumes of anecdotal evidence. Open your eyes. Its there
It is, but is is all 2000 year old fiction....We live in 2013 and most of us have moved on and no longer blame mental illness on demons....
Quote:
The belief that demons exist and can possess people is of course the stuff of fiction and horror films.
The only danger is from people such as yourself who believe that demons do exist and spread that evil belief to others,

Quote:
In 2003, an autistic 8-year-old boy in Milwaukee, Wis., was killed during an exorcism by church members who blamed an invading demon for his disability; in 2005 a young nun in Romania died at the hands of a priest during an exorcism after being bound to a cross, gagged, and left for days without food or water in an effort to expel demons. And on Christmas Day 2010 in London, England, a 14-year-old boy named Kristy Bamu was beaten and drowned to death by relatives trying to exorcise an evil spirit from the boy.
Exorcism: Facts and Fiction About Demonic Possession | LiveScience

When Exorcism Kills | Belief in Witchcraft & Magic | LiveScience

Old 08-09-2013, 01:15 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
And your impugning my knowledge and experience is not a personal attack? Rather than ridicule what you don't understand and don't "believe" in perhaps what you should do is either not comment or treat others opinion and knowledge with respect. Apparently you think spiritual matters are a matter of "faith" and not fact. I know, for a fact, that spiritual matters like this are as real as the ground you stand on. Your dismissive attitude is totally inappropriate and should be culled from this thread. Unless you can contribute in a positive manner perhaps it would be best if you simply observed without comment.
Again, you have this incorrect idea that I am required to treat all ideas with equal respect. I do not. I treat good ideas as good ideas and bad ideas as nonsense. I do not subscribe to any concepts of spirituality and my opinion is that approaching the problems enumerated by the OP with spiritualistic solutions is more likely to make matters worse.

You are certainly correct that I view spiritual matters as something in the category of faith rather than fact. If you know these things to be facts, please present the evidence you have which establishes them as factual. I do not regard unsubstantiated claims to be facts. Facts require evidences to be facts, not merely assertion.

In all cases, I am referencing your ideas, not your personality, so no, you are wrong with the "impugning" your knowledge and experience being any sort of personal attack. I do not know anything about your knowledge and experience, I am challenging what you say are the fruits of those things. Read the code, the difference is explained.

Last edited by Grandstander; 08-09-2013 at 01:43 PM..

Old 08-09-2013, 01:55 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,001,605 times
Quote:
In other words, you don' know
What I'm saying is they exist within the mind of the person, if they were a real entity we would see their influence within nature. The only place we see these things called demons are in the minds of mankind which make them very subjective.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
What I'm saying is they exist within the mind of the person, if they were a real entity we would see their influence within nature. The only place we see these things called demons are in the minds of mankind which make them very subjective.
It makes them imaginary.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:01 PM

You are all so smug in your "lack of faith" faith. you remind me of both Muslim and Christian talibans......"You must believe the way I do or you are doomed!!!!"

I am minded of the man born blind. Despite anecdotal evidence of the existence of a rainbow of color, he cannot believe it because he cannot see it. His incapacity limits his knowledge of the universe. He denies the existence of color.

Your incapacity to experience spirituality limits your knowledge. Your denial erects barriers that you cannot get past. What is regrettable is your unwillingness to expand your knowledge base. What is amusing is your insistence that everyone become as blind as you.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:25 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,854,871 times
Even the Catholic Church nowadays require that one seeks out professional medical help first before the church will go any further. So yeah, please seek out professional psychiatric help.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
You are all so smug in your "lack of faith" faith. you remind me of both Muslim and Christian talibans......"You must believe the way I do or you are doomed!!!!"

I am minded of the man born blind. Despite anecdotal evidence of the existence of a rainbow of color, he cannot believe it because he cannot see it. His incapacity limits his knowledge of the universe. He denies the existence of color.

Your incapacity to experience spirituality limits your knowledge. Your denial erects barriers that you cannot get past. What is regrettable is your unwillingness to expand your knowledge base. What is amusing is your insistence that everyone become as blind as you.
Sorry, but the fact remains that there are as many vampires, zombies and mummies walking around as there are demons, exactly zero.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Sorry, but the fact remains that there are as many vampires, zombies and mummies walking around as there are demons, exactly zero.
comforting to be blind, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality