Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 10:38 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,387,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
After now reading the other posts... let me just add that IMO knowledge is a cornerstone of our faith. We are not to have complete blind faith, but knowledge of why we have our faith and our beliefs.

I Peter 3:14-15 - But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. "Do not fear what they fear; do not be frightened." But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.

Matthew 22:37 - Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

2 Corinthians 10:5 - We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

Consistently, Jesus said "have you not read..." to 'educate' the Pharisees and Sadducees. Peter also admonishes believers through his writings in the NT with the question "Do you not know.." implying yes, we should.

But for believers, our faith should be built upon knowledge. Proverbs 1:7 - The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline.
I simply can't think of a better way to put this! It bears repeating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 10:43 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,262,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
That's quite the claim considering I don't know of any way we can read the mind of a newborn. From experience, however, I'd strongly disagree. My very young toddler clearly showed a preference and enthusiasm for Christian themed books although she had far more secularly oriented books. She never once showed the same enthusiasm for the Easter Bunny although she was most definitely exposed to it. I've seen children who come from totally nonreligious homes gobble up Biblical teaching. Adults who come to Christ have a thirst for Biblical knowledge. These are people who have never been programmed to accept any sort of religious view. The Bible claims God's word has been written on the human heart. I believe that's why many adults can believe in God while logically rejecting the existence of the Easter Bunny.
Yeah, along this line, my parents were not atheists, but were also not religious or given to spiritual pursuit. They did not attend church. My mother states (and even recorded in my baby book) that I was very interested in God even at 2 years old...and I continued to be even though they were not. I know that doesn't "prove" anything, but it is interesting IMO to note...

Old 11-26-2007, 10:55 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,522,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
But for believers, our faith should be built upon knowledge. Proverbs 1:7 - The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline.
Okay, but according to this verse, knowledge is built upon fear. This seems not only odd, but nonsensical as well. Perhaps I'm misreading.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:52 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,226,849 times
Originally Posted by nvxplorer
Quote:
Okay, but according to this verse, knowledge is built upon fear. This seems not only odd, but nonsensical as well.
Fear is nothing but the desire to survive.
Beings without fear are incapable to recognise danger, so in other words they are either too stupid and unable to learn or simply oblivious to their surroundings.

Last edited by Tricky D; 11-26-2007 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 11-26-2007, 12:14 PM

33 posts, read 80,642 times
Perhaps Christians do not question because they are taught not to. I remember when I started to question things I was told by elders that I shouldn't question God... to do so, is to doubt His authority.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:17 PM

True, when I discovered that most people couldn't answer my questions or didn't like to answer them, I quickly stopped asking them.
But I always wondered tho.
And as soon as I was able to find them myself, I did so (or at least tried to).

Old 11-26-2007, 12:31 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,270,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Okay, but according to this verse, knowledge is built upon fear. This seems not only odd, but nonsensical as well. Perhaps I'm misreading.
"Fear" in this case would mean "respect", not "being afraid of".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren View Post
Perhaps Christians do not question because they are taught not to. I remember when I started to question things I was told by elders that I shouldn't question God... to do so, is to doubt His authority.
IMO the only way to find answers is to question. The fact that I'm a Christian and believe in the authority of the Bible in no way implies that I don't "question". Everyone needs a validation of some kind!

Last edited by cg81; 11-26-2007 at 12:43 PM..

Old 11-26-2007, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by cg81
Quote:
IMO the only way to find answers is to question. The fact that I'm a Christian and believe in the authority of the Bible in no way implies that I don't "question". Everyone needs a validation of some kind!
What has that got to do with me?

Old 11-26-2007, 12:36 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,498,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren View Post
I was told that more than once, Oren..Made me more determined than ever for answers..It also taught me that I should just go ask God myself how much I needed to know..I am speaking about prayer..I didn't get an answer from Him right away but he led me through years of searching on my own through the bible,through history, and by learning a little about the other religions on this earth..I have now found the peace in my beliefs that I wanted so many years ago. As I learned from this life and people, my faith was growing towards the next life and God...IMO you don't necessarily have to have the title of christian to know God. He wants us to be a believer first and formost..This of course is jmho

Old 11-26-2007, 12:44 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,270,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by cg81 What has that got to do with me?
Sorry, Tricky! Quoted the wrong person... I edited it now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality