Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 12:50 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,227,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Sorry, Tricky! Quoted the wrong person... I edited it now!
No prob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 12:56 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Back to the OP, I think many Christians DO question their faith. Some do, some don't. I think a lot of it has to do with our individual temperaments. I think a lot of kids who are raised in devout Christian homes question when they reach a certain age. Again, not all, but many do. They often have to determine if they believe for themselves or just because mama and daddy do. I think about my son who accepted Christ at a very young age. At about 13, he began to question, but thankfully, resolved it within himself within about a year or two, and came back to the Lord fully. At the end, (he died at age 16) he became a strong witness to other teen-agers. But before that, there was definitely a period of questioning when he said he had even gotten to the point of considering himself an agnostic.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:15 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,270,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Back to the OP, I think many Christians DO question their faith. Some do, some don't. I think a lot of it has to do with our individual temperaments. I think a lot of kids who are raised in devout Christian homes question when they reach a certain age. Again, not all, but many do. They often have to determine if they believe for themselves or just because mama and daddy do. I think about my son who accepted Christ at a very young age. At about 13, he began to question, but thankfully, resolved it within himself within about a year or two, and came back to the Lord fully. At the end, (he died at age 16) he became a strong witness to other teen-agers. But before that, there was definitely a period of questioning when he said he had even gotten to the point of considering himself an agnostic.
I agree with your thoughts.. I think there has to be a balance. IMO it's not sufficient to simply "believe blindly" without knowing why you believe the way you do... knowing the deeper reason. And IMO the only way to do this is to question... not necessarily outrightly question God's existence or the Bible's validity, but be grounded in the answers... which come about by questioning (and thus searching)!

Old 11-26-2007, 02:53 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
[quote=cg81;2091859]I agree with your thoughts.. I think there has to be a balance. IMO it's not sufficient to simply "believe blindly" without knowing why you believe the way you do... knowing the deeper reason. And IMO the only way to do this is to question... not necessarily outrightly question God's existence or the Bible's validity, but be grounded in the answers... which come about by questioning (and thus searching)![/QUOTE

I don't promote questioning Christianity really at all, but I think for some people it IS a phase they go through. Again, I think a lot of it is temperament-based, and it probably is good for all of us to know a bit about apologetics, to as you say be grounded in the answers to why we believe.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:05 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F355 View Post
Their beliefs? I can appreciate that many of your claims that god has worked miracles in your life (because I'm not saying there isn't a higher power), however, what I don't understand is why many Christians blindly accept religious indoctrination (often with little to no evidence to support it).

These same Christians will balk at proveable, repeatable, tangible scientific evidence which makes examines a number of variables and ultimately comes to a heavily supported conclusion.

Why?
Many of us, myself included, have already questioned Christianity and accepted it after thorough research on all sides. I find it interesting that you mention that we "blindly" accept what is handed to us and reject any scientific evidence otherwise. How can you be so presumptive? I can assure you that the 80% of citizens in the United States today that make up Christianity aren't blindly doing anything. I'd be interested in what you believe is scientific evidence that comes to any "provable, repeatable, or tangible" supported conclusion against Christianity. On what basis do you believe any of it is "heavily supported"?

Old 11-26-2007, 03:17 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
It seems that in the face of overwhelming evidence that the world is more than 6,000 years old, many christians choose to believe that the world was built in a week around 6,000 years ago. Overwhelming evidence shows that the world is much older and that dinosaurs could not be found and dated within the christian time frame.
I hate to put a dent in your fender here, but there is not overwhelming evidence supporting such an ancient world. There is, however, overwhelming media coverage of all the interesting "theories" that have been going around since the 1950's, and mainly since the 1970's, to make you believe that all of science are on the same page with the age of the earth. It is simply not so. That's why it's called "The Big Bang Theory" and not "The Big Bang Fact", though by today's education standards, it might as well be.

Quote:
I have no problem with people believing what they believe, but they lose credibility when they deny scientific fact.
As the wife of a Ph.D. who is a geneticist, I have to laugh at this. Scientific fact? It's a contradiction in terms!

If you have no problem with people believing what they believe, then your statement should end there, with no conditions. Period.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:36 PM

16 posts, read 39,201 times
Please do not doubt the exsistence of God, do not test his exsistence because he is there. If you doubt just simply ask him to come into your heart and if you really want him he will be there.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:31 PM

33 posts, read 80,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
KayKay, I am sorry for your loss.

My thoughts are that it is inevitable to question religion. In the Christian bible it says that only 144,000 will be redeemed from the earth...with all of the different religions abroad, one would have to question the possibility of choosing the wrong one.

By that number and out of the billions inhabiting the earth today...that means less than one person per city will be getting thru the pearly gates .

Old 11-26-2007, 08:58 PM

79 posts, read 195,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I hate to put a dent in your fender here, but there is not overwhelming evidence supporting such an ancient world. There is, however, overwhelming media coverage of all the interesting "theories" that have been going around since the 1950's, and mainly since the 1970's, to make you believe that all of science are on the same page with the age of the earth. It is simply not so. That's why it's called "The Big Bang Theory" and not "The Big Bang Fact", though by today's education standards, it might as well be.
Moderator cut: personal attack
A scientific theory is based on facts. Media coverage is irrelevant (thank goodness, as you fundies have much more media exposure than real science does).

Quote:
As the wife of a Ph.D. who is a geneticist, I have to laugh at this. Scientific fact? It's a contradiction in terms!
Creation science is the contradiction. Scientific fact is fact. You wouldn't be using your car, tv, computer, microwave, ac, etc otherwise.

Last edited by june 7th; 11-26-2007 at 09:07 PM..

Old 11-26-2007, 09:17 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,227,664 times
Originally Posted by Inigo_Montoya
Quote:
Creation science is the contradiction. Scientific fact is fact. You wouldn't be using your car, tv, computer, microwave, ac, etc otherwise.
True, but fact still needs belief.
Despite the facts I can still choose to not believe that a car, TV, computer etc. works.
I can even believe that a car is more a curse than a boon to humanity.
In fact this is what I truly believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality