Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 05:50 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Thanks for the link. Mystery solved.

Seems the photographers did a poor job.

Per your link:
Adding to the mystery, Fire Chief Raymond Reed said the department took 80 photos of the scene and the priest did not appear in any of them.

Read more: Mystery solved: 'Angel Priest' identified | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 09:10 PM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
The local radio stations talk radio program had the Mystery Priest as a topic of conversation this morning. Caller after caller called in detailing mysterious encounters, strange coincidences and seemingly divine interventions from what would be called guardian angels. Seen and unseen or warnings in dreams. I had my own experiences. All those people relating their own stories made you think about how often these things happen.
It certainly made a person more likely to be a believer than not.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:56 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Miracle or not, he seems a good man who did a good thing.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:07 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,211,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
The local radio stations talk radio program had the Mystery Priest as a topic of conversation this morning. Caller after caller called in detailing mysterious encounters, strange coincidences and seemingly divine interventions from what would be called guardian angels. Seen and unseen or warnings in dreams. I had my own experiences. All those people relating their own stories made you think about how often these things happen.
It certainly made a person more likely to be a believer than not.
Meanwhile in the real world, a starving kid in Africa dies every 6 seconds, That would be about 20 in the time it took me to type this post, yay god.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:18 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Meanwhile in the real world, a starving kid in Africa dies every 6 seconds, That would be about 20 in the time it took me to type this post, yay god.
And this has to to do with what?

So what have you done to help starving kids? This question is directed at you. My church feeds starving kids and adults.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:43 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,211,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
And this has to to do with what?

So what have you done to help starving kids? This question is directed at you. My church feeds starving kids and adults.
Simply pointing out the obvious failure of this gawd or angels to do something constructive and within biblical claims to fame and capabilities addressing a real issue and not some selfish 'murikan 1st world concept of a "miracle". I know folk like you do not like this shoved in your face but it is nonetheless an obvious indicator of the non existence of god(s). Whatever the/your church does is no different to what other non believers like me do or have done, it is people doing stuff not god(s).

There are just too many stories out there of god taking time out to save an Americans from pithy stuff considered divine intervention. It is not, simple random chance and the luck of the draw is what it is. For example, god is always able to save some accident victim yet powerless to prevent the accident from happening. We rational folk call that statistics.

Cue the free will argument which I can also debunk from a secular standpoint. In short, what happens to you is predetermined by many factors outside your control. You are a christian b/c you grew up in a culture where the religion is predominant, had you been born in the ME, you would be muslim and in India, a hindu. We are all born agnostic (without knowledge) and all that is religious has to be learned/indoctrinated. From there, it is turtles all the way down.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:52 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Surprise, surprise, it was not an angel, alien, nor ghost. And so many were willing to buy this story at face value.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:27 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Default Oh here we go again! Grab your aluminum hats, folks: Dem Ebilâ„¢ Demons is a'comin' fur yur souls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigslistweirdo View Post
Oh dear, i wonder if the original set of tools/equipment ever began working again like the 'priest' said they would? will we ever know!?
Psssttt... I do professional tool sharpening as part of my business. Mayhaps them Tangs of Life or whatever they are labelled, could do with maintenance, yes?

Or... wait now... what's that eerie background glow that is hovering around my sharpening equipment right now, and that low-moaning-like also-eerie "Holy Mackerel!" soundscape?

Why... why... surely... it's gotz'tah be God's howling minions for sure, you betcha.

Btw, what if this had not worked out so well, like these many examples?:

3 killed in 95-car pileup on Virginia highway, police say - CNN.com

or...

2 dead in Texas highway pileup of 140 vehicles

and...

Three dead, several hurt after massive pileup of almost 100 vehicles near Virginia-North Carolina border* - NY Daily News

and... (tell me when you want me to stop...):

Ten killed in massive highway pileup in florida - YouTube

God or His angels onsite to save trapped people? What smurfy stuff! Not to mention selectively convenient, ignoring all the countless other accidental deaths that are conveniently ignored.

The Clan of the Conveniently Selective Fundo-Christians? Yup.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:31 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
How is some random ding dong popping up out of the blue offering a prayer a miracle exactly? Seems like the people who created the miracle were the guys cutting her out of the car.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:33 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Quote:
Simply pointing out the obvious failure of this gawd or angels to do something constructive and within biblical claims to fame and capabilities addressing a real issue and not some selfish 'murikan 1st world concept of a "miracle". I know folk like you do not like this shoved in your face but it is nonetheless an obvious indicator of the non existence of god(s). Whatever the/your church does is no different to what other non believers like me do or have done, it is people doing stuff not god(s).

There are just too many stories out there of god taking time out to save an Americans from pithy stuff considered divine intervention. It is not, simple random chance and the luck of the draw is what it is. For example, god is always able to save some accident victim yet powerless to prevent the accident from happening. We rational folk call that statistics.

Cue the free will argument which I can also debunk from a secular standpoint. In short, what happens to you is predetermined by many factors outside your control. You are a christian b/c you grew up in a culture where the religion is predominant, had you been born in the ME, you would be muslim and in India, a hindu. We are all born agnostic (without knowledge) and all that is religious has to be learned/indoctrinated. From there, it is turtles all the way down.

*begins slow clap*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality