U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 01:56 PM

8,402 posts, read 9,150,073 times

Advertisements

From the article: About an hour into the rescue, Katie asked rescue workers to pray out loud with her. That's when a priest appeared out of no where.

"He came up and approached the patient, and offered a prayer," Reed said. "It was a Catholic priest who had anointing oil with him. A sense of calmness came over her, and it did us as well. I can't be for certain how it was said, but myself and another firefighter, we very plainly heard that we should remain calm, that our tools would now work and that we would get her out of that vehicle."

The Hannibal Fire Department showed up right after that prayer with fresh equipment and was able to finish the extrication. After getting Katie safely into the Air Evac helicopter, at least a dozen of the rescue workers turned around to thank the priest who was no where in sight. The highway had been blocked for a quarter of a mile during the hour and a half rescue, leaving no bystanders and no parked cars nearby. Lentz' family and friends are amazed by the story.

"Where did this guy come from?" Lentz's friend Travis Wiseman asked. "We're looking for the priest and so far, no one has seen him. Whether it was a priest as an angel or an actual angel, he was an angel to all those and to Katie."

What do you think?

read the comment section.

Mysterious priest performs miracle at site of Mercedes crash : News : ConnectTriStates.com

Last edited by Mr5150; 08-09-2013 at 02:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 02:15 PM

7,945 posts, read 4,743,974 times
I've seen better parlore tricks than just telling others to be calm... dont these angels want to do better things with their slave existance then help one tiny statistic stay calm and wait calmly for Fortuna to provide the common responce from the Fire Department? Really? did they do an experiment where they didn't pray and the Fire Truck was kept from this victim that expected something good from her country? Do muslims pray and recieve different results than Catholics? Do Hindus?

I'd humble myself to a natural reality, over the infinite illogicalism of the extra-uber-mega-supernatural.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:27 PM

242 posts, read 197,157 times
So let me get this straight (from your own link) ...the original cutter was dulled by another car,

Quote:
Chief Raymond Reed said rescue crews spent the first 45 minutes after the accident trying to get Lentz out of a car to no avail Sunday morning shortly after 9 a.m. The metal on an older model Mercedes dulled the department's equipment.
a stranger appears out of nowhere and says a prayer,

Quote:
The Hannibal Fire Department showed up right after that prayer with fresh equipment and was able to finish the extrication.
(emphasis mine)

...and then the fresh equipment does the job that the other wouldn't.

This particular atheist fails to see the miraculous nature of the "event" but I'm glad the gal lived in any case.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:36 PM

41,036 posts, read 18,583,829 times
If we remove this priest from the story, would the outcome have been any different? I do not see anything in the narrative which suggests a critical contribution. The woman was apparently religious and the priest apparently provided some spiritual comfort for her, but the rescue was conducted by secular forces, wasn't it?

Old 08-09-2013, 02:56 PM

14 posts, read 68,486 times
Oh dear, i wonder if the original set of tools/equipment ever began working again like the 'priest' said they would? will we ever know!?

Old 08-09-2013, 02:58 PM

4,144 posts, read 5,109,792 times
I don't find this to be rather miraculous. Fire fighters come to an accident and bring tools to extricate someone out of a vehicle. Staying calm also helps a situation more than being frantic and nervous. Also, what about all of the accidents where people don't survive. They shouldn't be thanking a higher power. They should be thanking the firefighters that came to help. This is also one of those stories that is based on nothing more than testimonials. The fresh tools were what helped in extricating the woman.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:27 PM

8,402 posts, read 9,150,073 times
As I understand the article the miracle has to do with priest appearing out of nowhere when the victim asked for prayer. He calmed her then disappeared when the rescue was completed. Open field. No onlookers, no parked cars nearby. 12 rescue guys saw it.

Has nothing to do with the rescue guys or the tools.

Last edited by Mr5150; 08-09-2013 at 04:16 PM..

Old 08-09-2013, 03:30 PM

418 posts, read 948,808 times
Also the firefighter said 47 photo's were taken during the rescue and the Priest was not in any of them.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:10 PM

242 posts, read 197,157 times
...if the miracle was "disappearing once the professionals showed up," I guess we evil atheists' probably need to revisit our criteria on what constitutes a miracle (they happen a LOT more often than we thought).

Old 08-09-2013, 05:10 PM

4,889 posts, read 3,977,230 times
Yeah, I stopped earlier this year when I saw a wreck, I made sure everyone was ok then when the EMS (whom I had called) Showed up, I miraculously disappeared.

Yeah, no miracle at all, but then again there is no such thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality