Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 12:50 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,211,173 times

Advertisements

The poster obviously missed the outrage from the citizenry when that Brit soldier was murdered by muslims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 01:29 PM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
The poster obviously missed the outrage from the citizenry when that Brit soldier was murdered by muslims.
I'm sorry to drift off -topic but, while one terrible event allowed some extremist xenophobes to try to whip up anti -muslim frenzy, the generality of Brits refused to rise to the bait. The riots I had in mind were the ones about student fees and a police killing, and they were brutally obviously a pretext for anti social and criminal elements to break loose. I am no great lover of Islam but the ones that studiously did not get involved in the riots were muslims.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:42 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,211,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I'm sorry to drift off -topic but, while one terrible event allowed some extremist xenophobes to try to whip up anti -muslim frenzy, the generality of Brits refused to rise to the bait. The riots I had in mind were the ones about student fees and a police killing, and they were brutally obviously a pretext for anti social and criminal elements to break loose. I am no great lover of Islam but the ones that studiously did not get involved in the riots were muslims.
Yeah I know, it made the headlines a week or so and then life returned to normal. (Just going by my FB feeds)

Back where I live we do not have these types of radicals and for the most part, muslim folk are fully assimilated and peaceful and pleasant people. I do find it strange that US citizenry are so bent with muslims as I would assume most are in the same vein as the ones here. The press seldom gives press to what the good muslims do.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:33 PM

995 posts, read 955,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowerOfThings View Post
Gee, this is weird. I imagined that once I stopped going to church and reading the Bible, my life would suddenly become depressing, empty, hedonistic, unmanageable. The only difference is that I sleep in on Sunday morningModerator cut: delete . In fact my life is more enjoyable. I've taken up intellectual pursuits and I'm more motivated to live life to the fullest. It's a very liberating feeling when you remove from your mind that religious stuff that was cluttering it.

It's been about a year and a half since I started having issues with Jesus and his "Father" YHWH. I started out Tibetan Buddhist, then later realized Jesus's intended eternal compassion, and chose to ignore all the evil in the Bible so that I could receive that compassion, only to then realize and recognize the immorality of Moses and his tin "God" of terrorism. It's been a battle in heaven over the past couple years with me. I am now to the point where anytime I glorify the intended eternal compassion of Jesus, I then have to suffer the consequence of showering love for a *****. Yes, Jesus expressed an eternal love, and yes Jesus can lead a person to the nature of the spirit and the realm of Heaven. But from there, Jesus props up the immoral God of Terrorism, YHWH as the one "God" in Heaven for all the world to bow to. All the miracles performed in the Bible, and all the seemingly good and wise in the Bible is all for the sake of YHWH, who I believe is Satan.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:48 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,582,256 times
What did you expect? to be struck by lightning?

For me personally it meant letting go of guilt of my sexual urges. Now I can just feel them and not bother of if God cares or not.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:05 PM

995 posts, read 955,630 times
My conversion from Christianity would not be complete if I didn't warn my loved ones that the Bible is the most immoral and dangerous book ever comprised. Whose influence over the ages has been been mass murder, slavery, sex slavery, genocide, rape, pedophilia....etc...The Bible is a terrorist manifesto, and all those that choose to ignore all the countless open acts of unrepentant evil, so that they can instead feel the "love" of God", do so at the demise of all moral compass and common sense, and are loving as whores, without using any sense of morality. I know, because I was once someone who learned of the evil, and still chose to prop it up in Heaven. That is how I converted. My conscience took over. srsly, once you realize you have been showering praise upon a HORRIBLE evil, it quickly becomes a hot potato that burns every time you think of exuding any kind of praise for it whatsoever.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:40 PM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider's Pantheon View Post
It's been about a year and a half since I started having issues with Jesus and his "Father" YHWH. I started out Tibetan Buddhist, then later realized Jesus's intended eternal compassion, and chose to ignore all the evil in the Bible so that I could receive that compassion, only to then realize and recognize the immorality of Moses and his tin "God" of terrorism. It's been a battle in heaven over the past couple years with me. I am now to the point where anytime I glorify the intended eternal compassion of Jesus, I then have to suffer the consequence of showering love for a *****. Yes, Jesus expressed an eternal love, and yes Jesus can lead a person to the nature of the spirit and the realm of Heaven. But from there, Jesus props up the immoral God of Terrorism, YHWH as the one "God" in Heaven for all the world to bow to. All the miracles performed in the Bible, and all the seemingly good and wise in the Bible is all for the sake of YHWH, who I believe is Satan.
We all reason it out in various ways, and I can at least commend you for thinking about it rather than just going along with whatever is preached to you.

P.s add -on comment on Seeker's post.

Quote:
Yeah I know, it made the headlines a week or so and then life returned to normal. (Just going by my FB feeds)

Back where I live we do not have these types of radicals and for the most part, muslim folk are fully assimilated and peaceful and pleasant people. I do find it strange that US citizenry are so bent with muslims as I would assume most are in the same vein as the ones here. The press seldom gives press to what the good muslims do.
Yes, one of the less pleasant characteristics of Brits is this ingrained xenophobia towards blacks, muslims, (unless they win gold medals for us) Jews, Poles, Indians, Irish, east Europeans and anyone north of Watford if all the others were 'sent back where they came from' as 'Disgusted of Guilford' might put it.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:59 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider's Pantheon View Post
My conversion from Christianity would not be complete if I didn't warn my loved ones that the Bible is the most immoral and dangerous book ever comprised. Whose influence over the ages has been been mass murder, slavery, sex slavery, genocide, rape, pedophilia....etc...The Bible is a terrorist manifesto, and all those that choose to ignore all the countless open acts of unrepentant evil, so that they can instead feel the "love" of God", do so at the demise of all moral compass and common sense, and are loving as whores, without using any sense of morality. I know, because I was once someone who learned of the evil, and still chose to prop it up in Heaven. That is how I converted. My conscience took over. srsly, once you realize you have been showering praise upon a HORRIBLE evil, it quickly becomes a hot potato that burns every time you think of exuding any kind of praise for it whatsoever.

I mean this in all sincerity - you seem a bit confused and I'm wondering if you've been medically evaluated recently?

Or has any loved one suggested you should be?

Old 08-23-2013, 10:05 AM

1,755 posts, read 2,996,141 times
This has happened to me alot with a lot of things tbh. When I wanted to quit my old job I was afraid because I was told that I wouldn't find another for at least a year. When I quit old sports teams they told me I was making a mistake and was just a cop out. But my heart wasn't in it not was I committed to it so it made sense for me to go and my life got better when I did because I found my willingness to commit elsewhere and with other things but fear keeps alot of peoplle bacj, even though the fear of a thing is usually worse than the thing itself.

I haven't gone to church in over a year because I've come to accept that my heart left church years ago and I'm finally at peace with all religions, their history, and spiritual beliefs and I'm no longer looking for a spiritual home, salvation or like minds as God is taking me on an incredibly journey so I just talk to Him all the time.

But you did the right thing. Not because church is wrong or bad or brainwashing but because you weren't being sincere in attending. Wolf in sheeps clothing people can only pretend for so long.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:22 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
One take-away from my recent trip to Turkey is that there is nothing about Islam that is inherently antithetical to functioning within a modern, free secular society. Most of the kerfuffle with Islam is about large numbers of (largely young) Muslims living in hopeless poverty and being cynically manipulated for someone else's gain. Turkey doesn't have this issue; almost no homeless, low crime rates and a decent average standard of living.

Americans, embarrassingly, don't seem to have a lot of nuance in understanding such things. We made our travel plans just before the Taskim Square protests erupted. TV coverage here was extensive and nonstop, hour after hour of tear gas and water cannons and bulldozers and phalanxes of police in riot gear and fireworks and Molotov cocktails. It was great theater. But what most Americans apparently did was look at that and equate it to the "Arab Spring" style protests like the general mayhem in Egypt, or to some horrible internal strife over who-knows-what like in Syria. So according to everyone we talked to in Turkey, American tourists virtually disappeared from the scene but most everyone else is still vacationing in Turkey as if nothing is going on.

And very little IS going on. The Taksim Square protests were more like our Occupy Wall Street protests. Many people advised us to cancel our vacation plans but cooler heads pointed out that to do that would make about as much sense as canceling travel plans to New York City during Occupy Wall Street. Just stay away from any active protests and you're fine. Indeed, at one point our car passed right through the midst of a pro-Muslim Brotherhood rally in the Old City of Istanbul. I could easily see how US media could adopt certain dramatic camera angles emphasizing people in ominous-looking black headbands shaking their fists and chanting, but the totality of it was that people were strolling through the crowd with babes-in-arms and I would have felt perfectly safe being among them. It was a peaceful if enthusiastic demonstration like any you might find here in the US.

The only tourist I could find who had trouble was so oblivious that she didn't know about the Taksim protests and thought she'd visit Taksim square. At night. She got tear gassed, but she also got help from a lot of perfect strangers who washed out her eyes, offered her rest or Internet access in their homes, and helped her phone her family to let them know she was okay.

We visited Taksim (on a weekday) and it was business as usual.

All of which is to say that even though as an unbeliever I don't look any kindlier upon Islam than I do upon Christianity, the problem is not so much Islam being a particularly pernicious influence on world stability, as a surplus of testosterone-crazed, naive and manipulatable impoverished youth who happen to be Muslims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality