Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 04:55 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,453,664 times

Advertisements

I found this new article at the website for the Discovery Institute.

What Is the Theory of Intelligent Design? - Evolution News & Views

I was hoping they had something interesting to say, but it seems to be a lot of doublespeak. They are still relying on irreducible complexity which has already been disproved, and they seem to think that Michael Behe is a reputable source.

From the article-

Quote:
The first problem with the critics' definition is that it frames ID as merely a negative argument against evolution. In fact, ID offers a strong positive argument, based on finding in nature the type of information and complexity that, in our experience, comes from intelligence alone. I will explain this positive argument further in Part B of this article. Those who claim ID is nothing more than a negative argument against evolution are misrepresenting ID.
The first problem with the critics' definition is that it frames ID as merely a negative argument against evolution. In fact, ID offers a strong positive argument, based on finding in nature the type of information and complexity that, in our experience, comes from intelligence alone. I will explain this positive argument further in Part B of this article. Those who claim ID is nothing more than a negative argument against evolution are misrepresenting ID. - See more at: What Is the Theory of Intelligent Design? - Evolution News & Views
I read the whole article and I didn't find any evidence to support their argument.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 06:05 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,124,820 times
There is no theory of Intelligent Design. It's not falsifiable and it's not repeatable. It's not science at all, just a philiosophical world view wrapped in pseudo-science.

The article tries to show that ID is merely the search for signs of "intelligence" behind the design of nature and is not referencing the supernatural. What they fail to define is "intelligence" itself. If a strand of DNA splits in two, is that "intelligent?" If a boulder rolls down a hill, is that proof of "intelligence?"

And not only do they fail with "intelligence," they also gloss over what they mean by "design." It is merely an assumption that anything that appears coherent and humanly understandable is, by default, "designed."

Utter nonsense.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:19 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,143 times
I thought "intelligent design" is the idea of evolution being guided by a god. So I guess those people believe in evolution.

I wonder if they believe, as I do, that their direct ancestor was a fish.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:55 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
That's a good point. The basis of the case is looking for evidence of God's design in nature, particularly in bioforms.

The whole thing is based on the idea that evolution cannot happen of itself and God needs to do it. This implies that they do accept the evidence for evolution but argue that it cannot happen without God doing it with acts of creation.

For example DNA is impossible without being designed, encoded and constructed by God. Thus while cells might have evolved into precambrian forms and then fish, reptiles, mammals and man evolved, God needed to do the DNA as a start (the 'Abiogenesis is impossible - Life cannot come from non -life' argument).

Thus it would imply that ID'ers are Theistic evolutionists. However, what seems to be argued is that it cannot happen at all and that it never happened and all kinds of creatures were created pretty much as they are now (give or take micro -evolution) and Genesis is pretty much correct.

Either way, they have been able to produce no scientifically valid evidence that ID is demanded by the evidence and natural forces is not an equally valid explanation, if indeed it is not actually supported by the evidence while ID is not.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:14 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
I found this new article at the website for the Discovery Institute.

What Is the Theory of Intelligent Design? - Evolution News & Views

I was hoping they had something interesting to say, but it seems to be a lot of doublespeak. They are still relying on irreducible complexity which has already been disproved, and they seem to think that Michael Behe is a reputable source.

From the article-

I read the whole article and I didn't find any evidence to support their argument.

What do you think?
It's positive argument is one of incredulity.
Quote:
Intelligent design is a scientific theory that argues that the best explanation for some natural phenomena is an intelligence cause, especially when we find certain types of information and complexity in nature which in our experience are caused by intelligence.
IOW: As far as we can tell, it's just too dang complex for it to be formed naturally. And yet, no tests.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:20 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Default What is the Theory of Intelligent Design?

There is no theory of intelligent design . . . certainly not at the Discovery Institute. It is a fraudulent organization trying to covertly incorporate religious ideas into science curriculum. They were exposed during the Dover trial. Having said that . . . the idea they co-opted for their own use has been a longstanding alternative to the brute fact premise of naturalism. It is therefore . . . likewise a brute fact premise . . .NOT a theory.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:19 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,353,978 times
The big problem with intelligent design is that they only use the theory for a small story of the bible. Why would an intelligent designer create all the trillions of other galaxies that are useless to us if it was "intelligent." Why would and intelligent designer create dinosaurs and animals millions of years before us. Why would the earth be here billions of year before us? Why would an intelligent designer make all the worlds oceans salt water and undrinkable? There is nothing intelligent about intelligent design. Everything it attempts to explain has already been explained by science.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:14 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
The big problem with intelligent design is that they only use the theory for a small story of the bible. Why would an intelligent designer create all the trillions of other galaxies that are useless to us if it was "intelligent." Why would and intelligent designer create dinosaurs and animals millions of years before us. Why would the earth be here billions of year before us? Why would an intelligent designer make all the worlds oceans salt water and undrinkable? There is nothing intelligent about intelligent design. Everything it attempts to explain has already been explained by science.
And yet, it makes more sense than the alternative, a "cosmic accident".

Old 08-12-2013, 07:33 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,353,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
And yet, it makes more sense than the alternative, a "cosmic accident".
Accident? Its a numbers game. Lets say there is a 1 in a trillion chance of conditions being right for life, but there are 900 trillion planets. That means there are 900 planets just like earth with life just like ours. Thats like saying you win the lottery because of God because you don't understand how the numbers are drawn. Astrologers have predicted that there are more planets in the universe than grains of sand on the earth. Accidents happen quite frequently with those odds. "Accidents" happen every day in the real world. We don't say that they happened because of a God.

I bird just crapped on my head. What were the odds that could happen at that exact moment in time again. It must have been God!!!

And to answer your question directly, it doesn't make more sense than a comsic accident. Intelligent design makes no sense whatsoever for the reasons I already mentioned. Everything that happens in space is a cosmic accident. An intelligent designer would not have made the ocean saltwater

People who believe in intelligent design have lower IQ's than atheists. Don't flag me, that's a fact.

Last edited by jman07; 08-12-2013 at 07:51 PM..

Old 08-12-2013, 07:57 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Accident? Its a numbers game. Lets say there is a 1 in a trillion chance of conditions being right for life, but there are 900 trillion planets. That means there are 900 planets just like earth with life just like ours. Thats like saying you win the lottery because of God because you don't understand how the numbers are drawn. Astrologers have predicted that there are more planets in the universe than grains of sand on the earth. Accidents happen quite frequently with those odds. "Accidents" happen every day in the real world. We don't say that they happened because of a God.
You compare an accident to the lottery. The lottery was designed to have an outcome.

Quote:
People who believe in intelligent design have lower IQ's than atheists. Don't flag me, that's a fact.
Ah yes, the personal attack. The last hope of a hopeless argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality