Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is evolutionary theory accurate?
Yes. I believe the evolutionary theory is accurate. 210 58.82%
Yes. But I think aspects of the theory is flawed. 58 16.25%
No. I think it's completely flawed. 18 5.04%
No. I believe in creationism. 65 18.21%
I don't know. 6 1.68%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 11:43 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
Ok, now they are saying you didn't come from a dirty puddle of water that after trillions of years turned into a monkey than you.
Can you find me one example of a scientist who has made this claim?

Quote:
The nonesense gets bigger and bigger. Why can't athiests just accept the fact that there is no way all this is a mere coincidence, a result of a mistake.

A mistake implies a creator or an operator.

Quote:
God is 100% behind it. That is why pagan and atheist scientists are being forced to seriously considering "Intelligent Design" because they see how ridiculous and flawed the un-proven THEORY of Evolution is.
Oh, I see, so it is only pagan and atheist scientists who are forced to consider ID? I suggest you watch some of Ken Miller's videos on YouTube. He is a Catholic, and maybe, just maybe you might learn something.

Quote:
Here is the scope:

Life on Earth May Have Come From Mars

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

H.G. Wells might not have been that far off when he wrote about aliens from Mars coming to Earth.

"It may not be likely," NASA researcher David Morrison told National Geographic News, "but we cannot exclude the possibility that we are, in effect, all Martians."

Panspermia, or the idea that Earth was "seeded" by life from outer space, is centuries old but until lately has not had much scientific evidence to support it.

FOXNews.com - Life on Earth May Have Come From Mars - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. And yes, this claim would require extraordinary evidence. However misleading the title of the FoxNews article may be, reading the excerpt that YOU copied and pasted in no way implies that this is what scientists believe nor is it what they are claiming. As the article says "We cannot exclude the possibility that we are, in effect, all Martians." The key wording here is "We cannot exclude". It doesn't say "We can exlude all other theories now that we have proven a panspermia event." It is a hypothesis, it will be researched, and it will be tested but because we test for something does not mean we believe it to be true. Heck, you're trying to prove a point and one of the first lines in there from a NASA researcher is "It may not be likely." Am I missing something here?? I didn't see anywhere in the article where it said anything about panspermia being true.

Quote:
I am expecting that next week someone will come with a new THEORY (like the un-proven, highly disregarded concept of the THEORY of Evolution) that says people came from Pluto, but they were slimy feces from a mutant monster that lives in Pluto, but came to Pluto from planet X2525Z.

Evolution.... LOL... how silly can people really be!!? ?

I don't really care how silly you think evolution is, thankfully you're not the one writing the curriculum for science classes. I'm sure it would consist of "See what scientists have to say! They think that life came from other planets based on this FoxNews article I read! See the part where it says 'It may not be possible'? That's a lie, they're claiming it's true!"

Likewise, I am expecting that next week someone will come up with a new God (like the un-proven, highly disregarded concept of, well, all other Gods) that say people came from an un-proven, highly disregarded, supernatural, magic inducing entity. Heck, it's only occurred roughly 5000 times in recorded history.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:47 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
its all just a theory. we really dont know much bout the world around us do we?
i mean like a cardboard box of new kittens, we meow a bunch but we dont know jack. (cute though)

Old 11-15-2007, 12:00 AM

149 posts, read 386,677 times
Yes, evolution is a theory - a theory backed with a ton of evidence. You seem to be implying that because evolution is a theory, that somehow delegates it less of a credible hypothesis for explaining life.

I ask you then, what evidence is there to support creationism? None. So therefore, it is not a theory, but rather a story - and an outregeous one at that.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:29 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
Actually, something that hasn't been brought up to my knowledge is this:

How would a Creationist test for the validity of evolution assuming all they had was a theory written by Charles Darwin?

Old 11-15-2007, 06:01 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,240,039 times
The most promising stat from the vote above is that the overwhelming majority accept evolution. There are a few people around who don't even seem to fathom the basics so I have found an idiots guide to evolution (the fact of):

Evolution is a Fact

Old 11-15-2007, 11:35 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,523,473 times
Quote:
The THEORY of Evolution is the biggest joke since people thought the world was flat!!

Here is why: The word "Theory" means (straight from dictionary.com):

the•o•ry Spelled Pronunciation[thee-uh-ree, theer-ee]
–noun, plural -ries.

1. contemplation or speculation.
2. guess or conjecture.

—Synonyms 1. Theory, hypothesis are used in non-technical contexts to mean an untested idea or opinion. A theory in technical use is a more or less verified or established explanation accounting for known facts or phenomena: the theory of relativity. A hypothesis is a conjecture put forth as a possible explanation of phenomena or relations, which serves as a basis of argument or experimentation to reach the truth: This idea is only a hypothesis.

the•o•ry n. pl. the•o•ries

1. An assumption based on limited information or knowledge; a conjecture.

theory - Definitions from Dictionary.com

It means that the THEORY of Evolution has not been proven and it never will because it did not happne this way. A ton of scientists now believe in "Intelligent Design" because they realize this theory (this concept, this wild guess of Drawin's imagination) is a bunch of bull.

Does everyone realize the THEORY of Evolution is mere fiction, not based on facts at all?? It is a mere wild guess!
Does everyone see what's going on here? I have removed Nirvana-Guy's emphasis, and I have bolded and underlined the appropriate definition of "theory" as used by science.

Of note is NG's claim that the ToE is "not based on facts at all" when we can clearly see that the definition of (a scientific) theory encompasses an "explanation accounting for known facts."

Old 11-15-2007, 11:56 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,115,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F355 View Post
Do you believe in the theory and general principles behind the theory of evolution?
I’ll answer the second question first, that is. “Do you believe in the theory and general principles behind the theory of evolution?”
YES. I think it is so far the most logical theory.

“Do you support evolution?” NO. I have never had and will not have offspring.

I voted “Yes, But I think aspects of the theory is flawed.”
If I had voted “Yes. I believe the evolutionary theory is accurate.” then I wouldn’t believe it was a theory.

Last edited by Aeroman; 11-15-2007 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: replaced [roll eyes] with winky face

Old 11-15-2007, 12:11 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,389,493 times
Evolution is a fact. The theory of evolution explains the process evidenced by that fact. My "belief" in it is no more important than my belief in the theory of gravity. I "believe" a lot of people were inadequately educated in biology classes.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:20 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,523,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
If I had voted “Yes. I believe the evolutionary theory is accurate.” then I wouldn’t believe it was a theory.
May I direct you to the post directly above yours.

Additionally, accuracy is irrelevant to the common defintion of "theory." If I theorize that my wife is cheating on me, it remains a theory whether she actually is or isn't cheating on me.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:41 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,115,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
May I direct you to the post directly above yours.

Additionally, accuracy is irrelevant to the common defintion of "theory." If I theorize that my wife is cheating on me, it remains a theory whether she actually is or isn't cheating on me.
LOL.
I should stop trying to joke around on these forums.

I put the little faces after my sentences hoping they’d be read in a light hearted way.

Cheers
Aeroman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality