Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is evolutionary theory accurate?
Yes. I believe the evolutionary theory is accurate. 210 58.82%
Yes. But I think aspects of the theory is flawed. 58 16.25%
No. I think it's completely flawed. 18 5.04%
No. I believe in creationism. 65 18.21%
I don't know. 6 1.68%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 09:36 PM

646 posts, read 1,785,980 times

Advertisements

This is an interesting thread... personally I think evolution is the best theory put forward so forth, but of course there are many things still not explained by that theory. However, until something else is proven, I'll believe that's how things are progressing.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:44 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,965,616 times
Simple question. Why the misleading title to the thread?

The thread says, do I support evolution. "Yeah". Then when I get into it, it asks me about do I believe in evolution as the creation of humans and life. That's a different subject.

Do I believe that we should evolve now. You betcha.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:47 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,495,924 times
Default catastrophic evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
This is one of the things that evolution makes me wonder about. You said that "man was slowly created". The evolution process never stops. So you would be left wondering, where is this "evolving man" caught somewhere between modern day man and "future man." The evolutionary theory relies heavily on time, lots of time, millions of years of time. It helps explain away and hide its flaws.
Actually I believe there is a theory debate inside evolution to how fast creatures evolve. Some think it done slowly. And some believe that at certain time evolution is force to go into rapid mode. I believe the rapid theory is called catastrophic evolution. basically disaster happens and life either evolves very quickly or dies.
here a semi related article about human evolution.

SPACE.com -- Reinventing Darwin Again: How Asteroids Impacted Human Evolution (http://www.space.com/searchforlife/human_evolution_010424-1.html - broken link)

Oh and I do believe evolution has it flaws. But at least there can be constructive arguments brought against it's flaws. I have not really found this in religion to often. But that's just me.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:49 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,165,238 times
Since we want to mix two discussions here, I'll try and play too. I believe that the theory of evolution is correct, and we see it with the morphing of germs and viruses all of the time.

Regarding God, I think we have five divisions of belief here:

1 - There is a God - He/It judges each of our actions
2 - There is a God - He/It judges us in a summary way at the end of our lives
3 - There is a God - He/It is benevolent and doesn't judge us as individuals
4 - There is a God - It is a concept beyond our ability to perceive
5 - There is no God

Old 11-12-2007, 09:56 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,993,399 times
I'll go with 4. But I guess the 5 people could be right. And so could the 1, 2, and 3 people, but it's unlikely.

Last edited by fishmonger; 11-12-2007 at 10:35 PM..

Old 11-12-2007, 09:58 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,169,690 times
Hey they taught Koko to use sign language and Bush to speak, so yeah, I support it.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:08 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,075,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Actually I believe there is a theory debate inside evolution to how fast creatures evolve. Some think it done slowly. And some believe that at certain time evolution is force to go into rapid mode. I believe the rapid theory is called catastrophic evolution. basically disaster happens and life either evolves very quickly or dies.
here a semi related article about human evolution.

SPACE.com -- Reinventing Darwin Again: How Asteroids Impacted Human Evolution (http://www.space.com/searchforlife/human_evolution_010424-1.html - broken link)

Oh and I do believe evolution has it flaws. But at least there can be constructive arguments brought against it's flaws. I have not really found this in religion to often. But that's just me.

Easy to say it takes billions or millions of years for life forms to evolve when no one can prove or disprove it. Why is Earth the only planet found to have life on it? And so many different kinds of life? Why are humans the only species that have knowledge? That know the difference between right and wrong? To have affection? To love? To hate? Surely there would have to be at least a species comparable to humans of the thousands upon thousands of species on this Earth?

Humans have been around for millions of years? But only in the past few thousand years has there been any trace of intelligent life? What clicked on in the human head all of sudden and make people think, lets start a society, a language, tools? Why only very recent (recent being several thousand years) has there been historical evidence of humans?

My point is this: If humans have been around for millions of years, why do we only have knowledge of humans from under 10,000 years ago? All writings, artifacts, bones, nothing dates that far out.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:32 PM

1,511 posts, read 974,323 times
it may be accurate in its own context, but that doesnt explain a possible bigger picture. i remain agnostic.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:39 PM

640 posts, read 460,341 times
I believe in creation....

Old 11-12-2007, 10:54 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,217,328 times
I believe in a creation, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it took place 6,000 years ago in the Garden of Eden. God could have created the universe in whatever way He wanted. Today's evidence points overwhelmingly towards the evolutionary viewpoint rather than a literal interpretation of Genesis.

One of the most ignorant teachings of the fundamentalist church today is that you can't believe in both God and evolution. Religion and science aren't as incompatible as they would have you believe. Fundies have no problem taking passages in Daniel, Revelation, Isaiah, and even Leviticus (minus Lev 18:22) as symbolic or dated - why are they so persistent on a literal Genesis?

Modern Protestantism seems to be headed in the direction of the Catholic church of the middle ages, when the Pope's interpretation of the Bible was THE ONLY interpretation and anything else was considered heresy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.