Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is evolutionary theory accurate?
Yes. I believe the evolutionary theory is accurate. 210 58.82%
Yes. But I think aspects of the theory is flawed. 58 16.25%
No. I think it's completely flawed. 18 5.04%
No. I believe in creationism. 65 18.21%
I don't know. 6 1.68%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 07:30 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,459,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1961 View Post
Just like software developers have to give definition to their programs in order for them to function.
Bad argument... I wouldn't suspect that you'd think a computer programmer just jumbled up a bunch of letters to compile a program. Nor would I suspect that you'd consider it a product of chaos and yet software developers use compilers for a reason. When you look at the finished product, if you don't understand software development you may just say "This just looks like a bunch of random gibberish!" Yet, in the end, the software has some sort of form or function as a result of this gibberish being compiled a certain way. Only through trial and error is software completed and that is a fundamental philosophy of evolution. Yet, even the most highly complex software programs that perform enormous functions start with the simplest of keystrokes. Whether it be an '=' sign, a '+' sign, or whatever, the code has a beginning and is built and improved upon as the process goes on. As such, this is similar to how evolution works. It's not a theory that assumes (for the sake of this argument) that a bunch of random letters, symbols, and numbers will 'make' a program.

In similar form or fashion, DNA has to start somewhere. Unfortunately, people tend to think of DNA as the simplest (not in structure but in size) form of flora and fauna 'code'. However, it is not. The very nucleotides themselves are comprised of thousands of atoms. RNA also tends to be much simpler than DNA. People want to make the assumption that life started at a complex cellular structure, or, perhaps a string of just random DNA put together. However, this is an idea full of false merit. Even something so small and complex as DNA had to have a primitive beginning. As such, it is not hard for me to reconcile the fact that the very nature of DNA is one that had to survive on its' own before any notion of a cell could be entertained.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:44 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
crystalblue wrote:
Quote:
I have been reading that we are starting to merge with our technology, combining man and machine. Evolving onto a new type of human.
We're already doing that to a certain extent. Consider artificial joints, pacemakers for our hearts and all of the other implanted devices that are very common today. What really gets interesting is the concept of adding some sort of computer chip to enhance our brain functions. It's only a matter of time before advanced technology is able to be wired directly into our brains. A hundred years ago an artificial heart would have seemed impossible but by the end of this century I suspect that we're going to have the ability to change the way we think. This isn't evolution, this is something completely different, but it has the potential to completely change the future. Memory, intelligence and other mental functions that are supplemented with implanted devices are very likely to happen.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:32 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,232,534 times
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy
Quote:
Memory, intelligence and other mental functions that are supplemented with implanted devices are very likely to happen.
True, but will that be at the cost of our humanity?
I mean what makes us human, surely not our technology?

Old 01-12-2008, 12:32 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
crystalblue wrote:

We're already doing that to a certain extent. Consider artificial joints, pacemakers for our hearts and all of the other implanted devices that are very common today. What really gets interesting is the concept of adding some sort of computer chip to enhance our brain functions. It's only a matter of time before advanced technology is able to be wired directly into our brains. A hundred years ago an artificial heart would have seemed impossible but by the end of this century I suspect that we're going to have the ability to change the way we think. This isn't evolution, this is something completely different, but it has the potential to completely change the future. Memory, intelligence and other mental functions that are supplemented with implanted devices are very likely to happen.
But that, my friend, seems to confirm Intelligent Design. Those chips, artificial parts and implanted devices don't just appear as the result of our limbs and brains mutating and adapting.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:02 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,997,570 times
Alpha8207 wrote:
But that, my friend, seems to confirm Intelligent Design. Those chips, artificial parts and implanted devices don't just appear as the result of our limbs and brains mutating and adapting.
How about Evolutionary Intelligent Design!

Old 01-12-2008, 01:41 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
Alpha wrote:
Quote:
Nice try Alpha. The only problem with that thought is that manufactured items are completely different than biological life. Evolution is not purpose driven and has no plan in mind. Designing something by it's very definition requires a specific goal and the formulation of a plan to acheive it. However there is an interesting twist in this discussion if you consider the possibilities of artificial intelligence. It's actually possible that man might someday create computer software that mimics the human mind and even has the ability to learn on it's own and also mimic biological evolution. This has been researched for a very long time and although the field is still in it's very early stages we've seen major advances in computers in the last few decades and at some point in the future it will probably become a reality. Of course I'm not suggesting that this somehow supports the idea of intelligent design when we're talking about the origins of life but I do think it's possible that man's acheivements could mimic nature. By the way, after several weeks with no internet it's good to be back talking to you again.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Alpha wrote:

Nice try Alpha. The only problem with that thought is that manufactured items are completely different than biological life. Evolution is not purpose driven and has no plan in mind. Designing something by it's very definition requires a specific goal and the formulation of a plan to acheive it. However there is an interesting twist in this discussion if you consider the possibilities of artificial intelligence. It's actually possible that man might someday create computer software that mimics the human mind and even has the ability to learn on it's own and also mimic biological evolution. This has been researched for a very long time and although the field is still in it's very early stages we've seen major advances in computers in the last few decades and at some point in the future it will probably become a reality. Of course I'm not suggesting that this somehow supports the idea of intelligent design when we're talking about the origins of life but I do think it's possible that man's acheivements could mimic nature. By the way, after several weeks with no internet it's good to be back talking to you again.
In an odd way, this kind of reminds me of the book Prey by Michael Crichton. It was a very interesting read, but it was basically about nanocomputers evolving and becoming predators. It hunted us. Very cool, I have to admit.

Old 01-12-2008, 05:24 PM

5 posts, read 6,758 times
What your saying is that eventually man will not only understand how atoms think ,touch,feel,see,dream,judge .....ect but even make a atom out of nothing give it characteristics,properties,purpose and meaning. No way. You know why. Because the being who created the physical realm, designed humans with a limited capacity of creativity and ability. Just as other animals on earth were created with a lessor capacity than humans that they will never breach. So mankind by creation has limits as well, that he will never beach.
So you say "but once we understand it (the basics), it becomes order."
Somethings we will never understand. Im not saying not to try. Because curiosity is part of our design.
Im not saying that something that is not understood is choas. Im saying that I admit that there are aspects of this amazing physical realm that are beyond our ability to understand.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:09 PM

5 posts, read 6,758 times
Default So you say "but once we understand it (the basics), it becomes order."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by paul1961The thing is that everything we don't understand will always be considered chaos, but once we understand it (the basics), it becomes order. So live is not chaos, we simply don't understand it...yet.
Chaos and order are just our subjective interpretations of how we view reality.

Besides, just because you admit that you can't do something doesn't mean that I automatically can't do it too.
I mean I bet that there were lotsa people who told the Wright Brothers that if God intended men to be able to fly He would have given them wings.

What your saying is that eventually man will not only understand how atoms think ,touch,feel,see,dream,judge .....ect but even make a atom out of nothing give it characteristics,properties,purpose and meaning. No way. You know why. Because the being who created the physical realm, designed humans with a limited capacity of creativity and ability. Just as other animals on earth were created with a lessor capacity than humans that they will never breach. So mankind by creation has limits as well that he will never beach.
Something we will never understand. Im not saying not to try. Because curiosity is part of our design.
Im not saying that something that is not understood is choas. Im saying that I admit that there are aspects of this amazing physical realm that are beyond our ability to understand

Old 01-12-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1961 View Post
What your saying is that eventually man will not only understand how atoms think ,touch,feel,see,dream,judge .....ect but even make a atom out of nothing give it characteristics,properties,purpose and meaning. No way. You know why. Because the being who created the physical realm, designed humans with a limited capacity of creativity and ability. Just as other animals on earth were created with a lessor capacity than humans that they will never breach. So mankind by creation has limits as well, that he will never beach.
Somethings we will never understand. Im not saying not to try. Because curiosity is part of our design.
Im not saying that something that is not understood is choas. Im saying that I admit that there are aspects of this amazing physical realm that are beyond our ability to understand.
I'm not sure who you're replying to, but if it's me than you did not understand what I meant at all. All the things you implied (creating an atom! HUMPH! I'm downright insulted) were some sort of strawman argument and you put words in my mouth that I never said. Furthermore, your entire argument has thus far been an argument from incredulity. In other words: "I just can't fathom a natural process doing such a thing, therefore it did not and some sort of superior force/aura/presence/deity must have done it by default."

Hey, while we're at it, could you tell me my horoscope for the day? I just found a $20 bill in the parking lot and I'm wondering if my horoscope predicted that. There was no natural or logical explanation for it. It was windy and the bill was lying there on the ground. OBVIOUSLY, it was $20 so therefore no one would have noticed it missing. The only possible answer I can come up with is that my horoscope predicted I'd be just a little richer today!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality