Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2007, 01:00 PM

223 posts, read 604,279 times

Advertisements

IMO there is no war on Christians or their values.

The only reason that it feels like it to them is that they are constantly trying to push their ideas on everyone...and they have had total control in this country for so long that they don't want to give up any of that power to let the non-believers or other religions have some say...it boils down to insecurity.

No one is telling Christians you can't say merry christmas or you can't pray in school...they are just saying that it should not be mandated or state run.

The "war" is really everyone trying to fight them off and even things out a bit.

Waddya think?

Old 11-13-2007, 01:07 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,070,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlsteved View Post

The only reason that it feels like it to them is that they are constantly trying to push their ideas on everyone...and they have had total control in this country for so long that they don't want to give up any of that power to let the non-believers or other religions have some say...it boils down to insecurity.

No one is telling Christians you can't say merry christmas or you can't pray in school...they are just saying that it should not be mandated or state run.

The "war" is really everyone trying to fight them off and even things out a bit.

Waddya think?
I think if anything it is a "war" on the way things were done in the past. Thats it.. people are generally resistant to change.. to the way things "used to be.." Me.. well I could care less. For example.. Christmas. To most it represents a time to be with family and celebrate blah blah blah.. For me its stressful, work is difficult, and ultimately (in my opinion) its sad Christmas is used the way it is.

However, I would be interested to know what ideas all the Christians are pushing down on people. Be good.. do unto others.. don't lie.. don't steal.. don't murder..

Yeah.. those darn Christians.. always up to something..

Old 11-13-2007, 01:12 PM

79 posts, read 195,521 times
Quote:

Waddya think?
What do I think?

I think I couldn't have said it better myself. Bravo!

Old 11-13-2007, 02:40 PM

223 posts, read 604,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
I think if anything it is a "war" on the way things were done in the past. Thats it.. people are generally resistant to change.. to the way things "used to be.." Me.. well I could care less. For example.. Christmas. To most it represents a time to be with family and celebrate blah blah blah.. For me its stressful, work is difficult, and ultimately (in my opinion) its sad Christmas is used the way it is.

However, I would be interested to know what ideas all the Christians are pushing down on people. Be good.. do unto others.. don't lie.. don't steal.. don't murder..

Yeah.. those darn Christians.. always up to something..
Good points...People are resistant to change.

I don't mean those ideals such as do unto others, don't lie...those are not exculsively Chrisitan...Islam, Judaism etc all have similar views...
mecca)

I am talking bigger issues such as abortion, gay marriage and the right wing fundies trying to incorporate their belief systems into every aspect of people's lives...

Now, I realize one could also say that other religions are also anti-abortion, gay marriage etc...but the president isn't a Jew if you know what I mean.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Good points...People are resistant to change.

I don't mean those ideals such as do unto others, don't lie...those are not exculsively Chrisitan...Islam, Judaism etc all have similar views...
mecca)

I am talking bigger issues such as abortion, gay marriage and the right wing fundies trying to incorporate their belief systems into every aspect of people's lives...

Now, I realize one could also say that other religions are also anti-abortion, gay marriage etc...but the president isn't a Jew if you know what I mean.
Yes but you said:

Quote:
The only reason that it feels like it to them is that they are constantly trying to push their ideas on everyone...and they have had total control in this country for so long that they don't want to give up any of that power to let the non-believers or other religions have some say...it boils down to insecurity..
I would have agreed with you if you said... "Some of them are trying to push... Some of them have had control... Some of them don't want to give up any power.."

Not all "Christians" think the same (which is not a bad thing) so not all are trying to push anything on you.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:56 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
The word "war" greatly overstates the case. Societies are always changing their values and beliefs to a certain extent. Christians are still the most powerful voting block and have the best political connections through a vast number of organizations. The President and virtually every politician are very careful not to offend anyone with a religious point of view. So I guess if there was a war, at least in America, the Christians would be in a very strong position. I think what all of this boils down to is the fact that there are many conservative Christians who are angry because they do see more religious diversity and an increase in the number of people who either aren't religious at all or are drawn towards a non traditional religion. That hardly constitutes a war.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:11 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
I don't see any wars on christians..The only wars I see are the ones going on amongst them selves over who has the truth about God, heaven, hell, Jesus salvation,etc,etc,etc....

Old 11-13-2007, 04:14 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
if they expended 1/2 the energy to stop gang banging in our schools as they expend to shut up people that wana pray and say merry christmas.
this place would once again be a paradise to live in.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:15 PM

There is no war..

What war on Christians? - The Boston Globe

Oh yes there is!

The War On Christians Begins

Oh no there isn't!

'War' on Christians Is Alleged

Oh yes there is and Bush is leading it! Talk to the hand!

Bush’s Global War on Christians by Glen Chancy

Oh no there isn't..

Reason Magazine - What War On Christians?

Oh yes there is.. and Hollywood is the General!

The Media and Hollywood War Against Christianity

Remember.. in RISK (the global strategy game) any War is won by taking Kamchatka!

Old 11-13-2007, 06:06 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
This subject has already been discussed in MORE than one thread... please search for those if you want to discuss it further. And for the record, I will be closing any future threads on this exact topic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality