U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 05-13-2009, 12:56 PM
 
2,549 posts, read 1,498,584 times
Reputation: 891

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatetruth View Post
i can't be sure 100%! but i can be as sure that what you saw wasn't "divine" as i am about santa not really existing :-)
How are you "reasonably" sure? And are you in the habit of not answering, or selectively answering the actual questions? Without any history, your posts come off as angry. If this is true, I was merely curious if your absolute beliefs are shared with innocent children. Perhaps like your own, if you have any. I can see you now..."Listen son. There is no Christmas tree, or gifts, because this is just a commercial holiday designed to stoke consumerism. It's based around a fat, old guy who doesn't exist. Are you listening son? There is no Santa Claus. The sooner you realize that, the better off you'll be. Oh, and by the way, there is no God either. Now run along and play."

Happy happy joy joy.

I thought I had challenges with overly religious people who try to shove their beliefs down my throat. But truthfully, someone like yourself, an apparent atheist, who comes onto a thread about seeing God, is clearly here to just pick a fight. To me, that is the lowest common denominator. I'm done with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-13-2009, 01:06 PM
 
179 posts, read 374,192 times
Reputation: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
How are you "reasonably" sure? And are you in the habit of not answering, or selectively answering the actual questions? Without any history, your posts come off as angry. If this is true, I was merely curious if your absolute beliefs are shared with innocent children. Perhaps like your own, if you have any. I can see you now..."Listen son. There is no Christmas tree, or gifts, because this is just a commercial holiday designed to stoke consumerism. It's based around a fat, old guy who doesn't exist. Are you listening son? There is no Santa Claus. The sooner you realize that, the better off you'll be. Oh, and by the way, there is no God either. Now run along and play."

Happy happy joy joy.

I thought I had challenges with overly religious people who try to shove their beliefs down my throat. But truthfully, someone like yourself, an apparent atheist, who comes onto a thread about seeing God, is clearly here to just pick a fight. To me, that is the lowest common denominator. I'm done with you.
How are you "reasonably" sure that Santa doesn't exist? apply the same methodology to my belief against the existance of God.
i don't think i'll necessarily sit my child down and describe the "truth" as i see it to him/her. i think it's important for everyone to seek to find the truth for themselves.....just like i think forcing someone to believe in any one religion is wrong, i think forcing a child to believe that there is no God is too.

I'm not trying to force anything down your throat....simply pointing out that what you saw in the canyon, although beautiful, was simply nature.....not an invisible God!
also, nope, not angry. sorry to disappoint you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2009, 01:29 PM
 
2,549 posts, read 1,498,584 times
Reputation: 891
Default Seeing God Part III

A Walk Along Rush Creek

Fallen leaves crunch beneath my boots
remnants of once green aspen leaves.
In the canyon below, water sputters then
falls, boiling over mossy stones.
A constant flow belies an everchanging scene.
From rain and snow, a life force passes by
in a one way journey.
For me, this very moment is the same that way.
Here now, but never to return.
I stand mezmerized by the magic waters
that dance being pulled downward.
The river's song, like my breath,
lasts as long as life itself
Only to cease when death's call is answered.
Here a pool merely slows down the flow as if
to inhale and catch a breath before its
final journey.
With one last jubilant tumble, it spills
into the sunlit valley of quiet serenity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2009, 01:34 PM
 
2,549 posts, read 1,498,584 times
Reputation: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatetruth View Post
How are you "reasonably" sure that Santa doesn't exist? apply the same methodology to my belief against the existance of God.
i don't think i'll necessarily sit my child down and describe the "truth" as i see it to him/her. i think it's important for everyone to seek to find the truth for themselves.....just like i think forcing someone to believe in any one religion is wrong, i think forcing a child to believe that there is no God is too.

I'm not trying to force anything down your throat....simply pointing out that what you saw in the canyon, although beautiful, was simply nature.....not an invisible God!
also, nope, not angry. sorry to disappoint you.
I said I was done with you but I lied. This was your most reasonable post, in my opinion. But still. Why not leave the dreamers alone? Let them have their fantasies as you call them. There's no harm in that. They are not forcing their opinions on anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2009, 01:36 PM
 
179 posts, read 374,192 times
Reputation: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
A Walk Along Rush Creek

Fallen leaves crunch beneath my boots
remnants of once green aspen leaves.
In the canyon below, water sputters then
falls, boiling over mossy stones.
A constant flow belies an everchanging scene.
From rain and snow, a life force passes by
in a one way journey.
For me, this very moment is the same that way.
Here now, but never to return.
I stand mezmerized by the magic waters
that dance being pulled downward.
The river's song, like my breath,
lasts as long as life itself
Only to cease when death's call is answered.
Here a pool merely slows down the flow as if
to inhale and catch a breath before its
final journey.
With one last jubilant tumble, it spills
into the sunlit valley of quiet serenity.
nice poem.
but what does this have to do with the OPs question?
why not create a new thread for your poems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2009, 01:41 PM
 
179 posts, read 374,192 times
Reputation: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
I said I was done with you but I lied. This was your most reasonable post, in my opinion. But still. Why not leave the dreamers alone? Let them have their fantasies as you call them. There's no harm in that. They are not forcing their opinions on anyone.
you do bring up a good point. it's actually pretty close to something my sister said to me when we were discussing a similar issue....

well.....it really comes down to finding out the truth.........do you really want to live your life believing in fairytales just because they "feel good", make you warm, and don't hurt anyone? if so, i guess, be my guest by all means! but to some, the truth, as much as it may be unsettling, cold, and life changing, should be worth something! maybe even more than feeling a false sense of warmth. it's like comparing the happiness of a drunk man, to that of a sober person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2009, 03:10 PM
 
2,549 posts, read 1,498,584 times
Reputation: 891
The truth is that most can't handle the truth? But there are those who could argue that certain things do exist certainly in the context that no one has proved empirically that they don't exist. This type of thinking probably irks those of you that think in absolutes. Those who are so linear in their thinking that they can't entertain any nonlinear logic. Those that don't believe there are things in this world, or out of this world, that are beyond their comprehension. Or at least the possibility of things existing that are beyond their comprehension. In that absolute sense, there is no mystery. No magic. No love. After all, these are hard concepts to define. Do I believe David Copperfield really made the Statue of Liberty disappear? No. Do I believe in UFOs? Well, I believe they could exist and why not? Do I believe in God? Well. I was brought up Catholic and certainly learned the Catholic story and I really don't have concrete evidence of the contrary so why not? Do I get criticized for that qualified response? At times yes but if God exists, he/she gave me this brain. I am merely using it.

I had a conversation years ago with an elderly relative. They said that Santa Claus did exist. When I questioned them about it they said that the spirit of Santa Claus, of giving (the original intention), was alive and well. So, in that sense, Santa did exist. And why not? If this is all there is, is that not making the most of it? It seems it would make someone more likely to be joyful and to spread joy. Therefore, a good thing.

The bottom line for me is that I accept that things may often not be what they appear to be. I am quite OK with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2009, 05:20 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
3,587 posts, read 3,655,246 times
Reputation: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Don't you see how much that sounds like science fiction?

There was a God, and you can look at him, but you can't see his face!?!?

WTF is that about?

And how do you distinguish the story he just told from someone who is just lying and saying that they saw God?
It's about something you don't know about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2009, 10:26 AM
 
7,654 posts, read 6,556,376 times
Reputation: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
The other understanding of that is that is from the J source, the earliest of the sources cobbled together to make genesis. And at the time J source was written, the jews were still polytheistic.

Then when you switch to the 2nd creation story in Genesis, it comes from the source where God has been narrowed down to just one entity.
What the Jews believed, and what the Bible states are two different things. And that is why the Bible has little good to say about the Jewish people. And that is why the God of the Old Testament states that Israel is like an unclean woman. The real truth, will only be found in God's Word the Bible.

And there is no 2nd creation story. That's just your desire to read it that way. The first account in Genesis is in chronicle order, the second chapter in Gensis is more detailed and informative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2009, 01:05 PM
 
Location: home
1,041 posts, read 757,235 times
Reputation: 76
hmmm, I have. I seen him twice in an experience that I had when I was a child. The first experience was in St. Paul's orphanage. I'm a Roman Catholic and my name is Roman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:01 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top