Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 11:18 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Here is the actual interview:

RICHARD DAWKINS takes on ISLAM on Al Jazeera TV - YouTube

The OP is quote mining and the very first sentence of their post discredits everything they say. For one, it is impossible for an atheist to hate god. Atheists don't believe in god.
As an aside, the fellow who introduces Dawkins states the obvious with his observation that nonreligious states/dictators such as Stalin, Hitler and Mao have killed as many or more than those who hide behind religion. Evil is a human trait. Has nothing to do with religion. If you disagree take it up with the Al Jazeera TV.

See; the thing is he has no agenda. He just stated the facts and then introduced Dawkins. So as you can see I DID watch the video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romans519 View Post
Richard Dawkins is a man who does not understand context. It is the most common argument to label God as a monster as he did for lack of understanding.
People who label God as a monster usually are atheists. Which seems odd coming from those who disbelieve. How can you hate something that you don't believe exists? Yet most of the people who profess hate towards God claim to be atheists. Go figure.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:46 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
As an aside, the fellow who introduces Dawkins states the obvious with his observation that nonreligious states/dictators such as Stalin, Hitler and Mao have killed as many or more than those who hide behind religion. Evil is a human trait. Has nothing to do with religion. If you disagree take it up with the Al Jazeera TV.

See; the thing is he has no agenda. He just stated the facts and then introduced Dawkins. So as you can see I DID watch the video.
I was referring to the OP. They were misrepresenting what Dawkins was saying. Dawkins wasn't ducking the question when he made the statement the OP was referring to. The OP is quote mining to make it seem Dawkins is doing something he really isn't doing. If you watch the whole video you see the OP is only taking a snippet of the interview to try and twist what Dawkins was saying. This isn't an uncommon practice of religious evangelism.

It's similar to what this video is doing:

Richard Dawkins Goes Crazy During Debate! - YouTube

This was the whole video:

Dawkins vs. Tyson - YouTube

Old 08-24-2013, 11:56 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Interestingly, Dawkins has attacked Islam:

‘There’s no God and Islam is evil’ speech earns Richard Dawkins ovation from islanders - News - The Scotsman

Quote:
RENOWNED atheist Professor Richard Dawkins received a surprise standing ovation in the traditionally Christian community of Stornoway last night, following a two-hour speech in which he said there was probably no God.

The 71-year-old described Islam as “one of the great evils of the world” in his lecture, The God Delusion, as part of a rare visit to the Western Isles.
Perhaps he felt that his interview on Al Jazeera would not be an appropriate place for that remark.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:22 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,213,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Interestingly, Dawkins has attacked Islam:

There's no God and Islam is evil™ speech earns Richard Dawkins ovation from islanders - News - The Scotsman

Perhaps he felt that his interview on Al Jazeera would not be an appropriate place for that remark.
This is the obvious conclusion to make. It is called picking your battles.

If his exposure to Islam was similar to mine, IIRC he is originally from the colonies, then he would have encountered only Asian muslims and for the most part here in Africa they are relatively well assimilated. I have only seen one female in a Hijab here and it was anyway pretty transparent so you could still see her face. Her hubby wore the frock and funny hat. The other muslims in that store all wore westernised clothing w/o funny hats. Her hubby is a pretty decent fella and very helpful. I think he is studying to be a preacher of sorts hence his orthodoxy.

As part of the "legacy of apartheid", these Asians and Coloured folk had their own living areas which again were different from the black areas. And guess what, this was prevalent in all Brit colonies so once again, the whole concept of the "evil apartheid" system was a Brit invention to which an Afrikaans word was applied which means exactly the same thing the US had in the separate but equal mantra of years gone by.

One of the prominent presenters on Al-Jazeera is originally from South Africa.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:00 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romans519 View Post
Richard Dawkins is a man who does not understand context. It is the most common argument to label God as a monster as he did for lack of understanding.
I would predict that by 'context and 'understanding', you mean a lot of Faith -based excuses for the monstrous doings of a monstrous god. Dawkins does not buy into such wretched PR for biblegod any more than I do.

But, while we unbelievers feel utter distaste for the ruthless, vile and immoral doings of the god of the Bible, we conclude that such a god is unbelievable and is just the mental construct of men who thought in those terms. Thus, we do not hate such a god, we disbelieve in it.

Since we disbelieve in the god of the Bible, that means inevitably that we disbelieve in all the religions of the Book - including Islam.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:44 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Richard Dawkins has made a lot of money by selling his books to atheists that hate God. He was recently interviewed regarding his view of God, and the Bible. I wonder why the coward didn't have the guts to say what he thought of Allah.

"In a recent Al-Jazeerah interview, Richard Dawkins was asked his views on God. He argued that the god of “the Old Testament” is “hideous” and “a monster”, and reiterated his claim from The God Delusion that the God of the Torah is the most unpleasant character “in fiction”.

As you can see, Dawkins has no trouble attacking the Hebrew God in a most direct and uncompromising manner. No atheist wallflower he.

Asked if he thought the same of the God of the Koran, Dawkins ducked the question, saying: “Well, um, the God of the Koran I don’t know so much about.”"

Brave atheist ducks the question on Islam | Public Secrets
Ummm... how do atheists hate 'god' when they don't believe in it?

Old 08-25-2013, 06:01 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,715,377 times
Quote:
I have read his book. I wasn't impressed. He's not a great mind when it comes to theology. It's pretty amateurish.
You should try to be more vague.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:25 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,440 times
I'm a Christian and I watched the first interview posted.

I think the whole premise was a bit ridiculous. Put religion "on trial" by interviewing an atheist? I wonder how that will turn out. :

This is the first time I've seen Dawkins speak and I've never read any of his material. I don't think he ducked the Koran question. It seemed like he genuinely didn't know about it. I say that because later he had no trouble speaking against suicide bombers and the 9/11 terrorists. These are mostly (all?) Islamic, and he didn't shy away from those questions.

I didn't get that he hates God anymore than leprechauns and "pink unicorns". However, it's obvious that he holds a great contempt for the bible and people who believe it. He even said that he had no desire to know people who believed the stories of the bible. That's fine, everyone has a right to believe or not believe what they want. His opinion really doesn't matter to me.

What I found amusing was his stumbling around when the interviewer brought up Stalin, Mao Tse Tung and that atheism did some pretty horrible things in those countries. He looked very uncomfortable, tried to make excuses and got a little angry at one point. Religion has done some pretty bad things, but he obviously doesn't like to be called out on the fact that atheism isn't all that clean either.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:36 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,481,351 times
Quote:
Richard Dawkins has made a lot of money by selling his books to atheists that hate God. He was recently interviewed regarding his view of God, and the Bible. I wonder why the coward didn't have the guts to say what he thought of Allah.

"In a recent Al-Jazeerah interview, Richard Dawkins was asked his views on God. He argued that the god of “the Old Testament” is “hideous” and “a monster”, and reiterated his claim from The God Delusion that the God of the Torah is the most unpleasant character “in fiction”.

As you can see, Dawkins has no trouble attacking the Hebrew God in a most direct and uncompromising manner. No atheist wallflower he.

Asked if he thought the same of the God of the Koran, Dawkins ducked the question, saying: “Well, um, the God of the Koran I don’t know so much about.”"

Brave atheist ducks the question on Islam | Public Secrets
Richard Dawkins constantly confronts Muslims. Here is just one example:

Apostasy in Islam:Richard Dawkins extracts some truth from a Muslim - YouTube

There are dozens and dozens of others. Next time, do a little research before trying to play the Christian victim card. You'll look a lot less foolish.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:16 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,916,589 times
Default Bubo virginianus dumbassius

Quote:
He's afraid to comment. He ducked the question. I don't believe for a second that he doesn't know anything about the koran. But it's funny how he can rant about Christianity.
Oh. I see. So therefore, by this spectacularly illogical conclusion, you are therefore a mega-coward, since you, Vizio, always and predictably evade any questions I and others have posted to you on topics in Evolution, geology, astronomy et al. And yet, you position yourself as some sort of Christian Crusader, replete with a full set of intellectual playing cards to fight the good fight.

What a HOOT! Wait! see! Tis the Viz! https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...rh7Q9humU0ZTUK

FACT: It's because, of course, you have ZERO knowledge with which to defend your personal technical illiteracy on those subjects, and yet you chose to try to use bits of info from your ultra-screwball and technically dumb-a$$'p Christian fundy websites for so-called factual rebuttal information.

Quite funny, this pronouncement of Dr. Dawkins' cowardice by you! Let's compare, shall we?

We have Dawkins, who at least understands the obvious travails of a rabidly fundamentalist & indefensible Christian viewpoint, plus he more than understands The SM and how it has produced reliable duplicatable and logical knowledge that, oh btw, also completely dovetails into other past and newly discovered information, systems and predictable events.

But PS: I'm sure he simply dismisses the sub-set of fanatical rubble-think called Islam and it's desire to kill all us infidels. (Let' 'em come on down...)

And then we have you, who, as a registered Christian Coward, will not answer anything. Can't, won't... whatever. You are in an indefensible position, know it, and seemingly prefer it, as if to not answer gives you credibility!

Keep it up: it's quite humorous and telling, to our side, of the endlessly silly Christian argument. But then, also know that, in the end, education of our ever-smarter and internet savvy children, and well-taught critical thinking skills, will resolve it all, and Christianity will die a righteous death...

http://weburbanist.com/wp-content/up...a-interior.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality