Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 10:29 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,116,309 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the good wishes on my cold. AUUGGHH. As far as everything else, I will keep my faith in God because for me personally, the evolution idea just doesn't work even though I have read some about it and seen some programming related to it. Again, no thanks....I stick with God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 10:31 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,241,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
This thread is just plain scary. I just hope some people never attain any political power or exert any influence on malleable adults and children.The mind just boggles.....

I dread to think what an army of these people would be and do...
There are a small "army" of them.. they call themeselves the "dominionists". It sounds extreme but IMO it is only a matter of time before some fundamentalist christian group tries to take over the white house and turn the US to a theocracy

Old 11-18-2007, 10:31 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
Thanks for the good wishes on my cold. AUUGGHH. As far as everything else, I will keep my faith in God because for me personally, the evolution idea just doesn't work even though I have read some about it and seen some programming related to it. Again, no thanks....I stick with God.
I don't know why people automatically feel as if understanding and accepting the theory of evolution would disclude God.

Since you live in the Bronx, I suggest you take a trip to Manhattan and check out the evolution display at the Museum of Natural Science and History.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:18 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,116,309 times
Quote:
I don't know why people automatically feel as if understanding and accepting the theory of evolution would disclude God.
I think because the main theme of evolution is that everything came from a small, microscopic unit whereas the Bible teaches that God created all living creatures within a six day frame, not over millions of years. One contradicts the other.

My wife took me to the Natural History museum not long after I moved here and I found it very fascinating, to be sure.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:30 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Maybe I should move to England or another part of Europe..... tell me it isn't this bad over there
You are most welcome to this side of the pond and I would be delighted to show you Oxford, one of the world centre of reason and logic ! Creationism isn't even a micro-blip on the European radar, so please do come across and I can even introduce you to a lot of Christians who do believe in evolution.... America is the only place that seems to have this odd belief, I don't know why ?!

Old 11-18-2007, 02:40 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,128 times
Quote:
You are most welcome to this side of the pond and I would be delighted to show you Oxford, one of the world centre of reason and logic ! Creationism isn't even a micro-blip on the European radar, so please do come across and I can even introduce you to a lot of Christians who do believe in evolution.... America is the only place that seems to have this odd belief, I don't know why ?!
"America is the only place that seems to have this odd belief. LOL.

Love it!

Troop, might wanna hold off on buying that ticket to Utopia.

Evolution and Cancer: Evolution and creationism in Europe
Creationism in Europe (http://www.desipundit.com/ashutosh/2007/05/19/creationism-in-europe/ - broken link)
Anti-evolutionists raise their profile in Europe : Article : Nature (http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v444/n7118/full/444406a.html - broken link)

It's not just America.

It's not just religious folks.

It's actually looking at things objectively.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:49 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,460,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
"America is the only place that seems to have this odd belief. LOL.

It's actually looking at things objectively.

Looking at what 'things' objectively?

Old 11-18-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
This thread is just plain scary. I just hope some people never attain any political power or exert any influence on malleable adults and children.The mind just boggles.....

I dread to think what an army of these people would be and do...

You need to read about the Religious Right connections with Blackwater and its founder Erik Prince. And you need to read about the evangelical chaplaincy movement in the U.S. armed forces. It's all out there, just use the Internet to look it up in the news.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:01 PM

Fundamentalist Christians in America have been poorly served by their leadership. It is called a failure of creativity and imagination and education. Their ministers are typically very poorly educated in a general sense (look at Falwell's background). How is it that most Christians in Europe have accepted the theory of evolution as a valid product of scientific inquiry? It is because the Christian leadership (including the Pope) there no longer emphasizes the out of date portions of earlier Christian teachings and doctrine that conflict with well established scientific knowledge. They finally turned the corner on that over 100 years ago. It is only in America, where Protestantism is predominant and where the Southern evangelical denominations have most recently (the last 3 decades or so) been "on the march" politically, where there is a recalcitrance to accept established scientific knowledge about evolution. Remember that this recalcitrance is today being funded by Right Wing political organizations that themselves don't have a vested interest in the religious argument.

Right Wing politics historically is characterized as authoritarian politics. Please remember this. That's why they are a natural political ally of the Religious leaders, which also apply religion-based authority (as opposed to 'consensus' of participants) to persuade and guide their flocks.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:03 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
You need to read about the Religious Right connections with Blackwater and its founder Erik Prince. And you need to read about the evangelical chaplaincy movement in the U.S. armed forces. It's all out there, just use the Internet to look it up in the news.
Although there are some undoubtedly strong believers in the military, and in some cases downright against the Uniform Code of Military Justice, my experience in the military never really brought me down that road. In fact, I met more atheists in the military than evangelical Christians. From my personal experience, the military leadership tried very hard to be unbiased with the exception of a few isolated incidents. I only had two situations that affected me that I can recall off the top of my head. I wanted "Atheist" on my dog tags and the girl said that wasn't an option. I brought it up with her boss and he got it taken care of. The only other thing I didn't like was prayer before major ceremonies such as Change of Commands and pre-deployment operations.

I will say one thing. Just prior to deployment, the chaplain does come in, say that if anyone wants to discuss something with him he'll be in another room. As you're leaving there are Bibles, Korans, etc... available for taking but not in your 'kit'. I thought it was fair compared to most civilian situations I have been in. Of course, someone else's experience may have been entirely different. I have heard that officer's are almost 'required' to go to Church on base to 'mingle' with the higher ups. But, I really can't say whether or not that's true, I never had that discussion or experience (thankfully).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality