Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 01:27 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,447,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
So evangelicals don't read books (other than the Bible), or meet people of other religions, watch TV, see movies, travel or educate themselves? All of their knowledge, all of what they know about the world is restricted to what they've read in the Bible. If it's not in there they don't know about it.

Hmmmmm.... considering some of the things I've read here, I have no problem believing that.
Some evangelicals would be well read. I was among them, and it probably was my undoing as an evangelical, which is telling.

It's not so much that they are restricted to the Bible but that any other information must be wrong if it in any way differs with the Bible. Science is interpreted in the "light" of scripture, along with everything else.

At some point it becomes exhausting to carry the load of cognitive dissonance and there's a tendency to heavily discount non-Biblical sources since you have to see what the Bible says (or not) about something in the first place. It just makes life easier.

We had a comparative religion class in the Bible Institute I attended, by the way, but it was so slanted toward "why they are wrong and we are right" and "how X-ism is scripturally incorrect" that I don't feel it really counted as an honest comparison. Notably absent is any understanding about what, say, Buddhism is about and how it is practiced and, perhaps, what altars are used for in Buddhism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 01:39 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,360,745 times
I live in the SW in a Mex style stucco house...I have a priceless altar
with an antique Virgin Mary, etc.....as in wow...I'm an artist, ya know....I tiled
it all myself in an arch ....grotto.

I have a shelf also dedicated to my mom's askes ....my dad's photo on a
Seagram's 7 bottle,,,a few rosaries, I collect a hundred of em, candles and an incense holder.
Not really an altar but I dedicate that shelf to them.

I also have a wall ill placed in my bedroom with many pictures from an obscure painting
of Jesus from the 17th c, to Amma.....ill placed because I always have to move
my feet pointing at them...out of respect....
well obviously it isn't ill placed...to keep me on my toes.
Sorry no photos, not a techy.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:41 AM

454 posts, read 793,298 times
i have the top of the TV entertainment cabinet as an altar...

While i am in the house, scented candles or wax-tart burners are always lit. A small vase of fresh flowers, a St. Martin de Porres glass candle holder, a small pewter medal of St. Francis of Assisi, and a statue of the Egyptian Cat Goddess Bastet.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:39 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,179,039 times
Quote:
So evangelicals don't read books (other than the Bible), or meet people of other religions, watch TV, see movies, travel or educate themselves? All of their knowledge, all of what they know about the world is restricted to what they've read in the Bible. If it's not in there they don't know about it.

Hmmmmm.... considering some of the things I've read here, I have no problem believing that.
No. Look up the definition of "altar". An altar is used to make a sacrifice. In every instance of it being mentioned in the Bible, that's what it is.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
No. Look up the definition of "altar". An altar is used to make a sacrifice. In every instance of it being mentioned in the Bible, that's what it is.
He said, completely without irony ...

Old 08-30-2013, 01:16 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post

It's your lucky day. I looked it up in my handy dandy Little Oxford English Dictionary. (Not that I had to. I already knew the definition.) Not a mention of "sacrifice". Just making sacred and making offerings.

And, oddly enough, not one person on this thread has mentioned they're making sacrifices on their home altar. Are they not using it correctly?

Old 08-30-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
He said, completely without irony ...
At least he proved what you said up-thread.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:38 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,179,039 times
Quote:
It's your lucky day. I looked it up in my handy dandy Little Oxford English Dictionary. (Not that I had to. I already knew the definition.) Not a mention of "sacrifice". Just making sacred and making offerings.
what?
Quote:
And, oddly enough, not one person on this thread has mentioned they're making sacrifices on their home altar. Are they not using it correctly?
I'm sorry--if you consider an altar something different than me, we can disagree. Every instance that I've ever seen it used in indicates an altar is for sacrifices.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:53 PM

Maybe we need to use the word "shrine". That is an adequate synonym for "altar" as commonly used in modern times and it keeps Vizio's world from flying apart; I wouldn't want his head to explode from the concept that the Biblical definition is but one sense and usage of the word.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Maybe we need to use the word "shrine". That is an adequate synonym for "altar" as commonly used in modern times and it keeps Vizio's world from flying apart; I wouldn't want his head to explode from the concept that the Biblical definition is but one sense and usage of the word.
You are a very kind and tolerant poster.

(I have no problems using the word "altar" but wth. I believe in world peace.)

Last edited by DewDropInn; 08-30-2013 at 03:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality