Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 06:01 AM

265 posts, read 664,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheguevara View Post
I'm sure you would find that there is a perfectly logical explanation...rather than divine intervention.

Let's see....a desperate situation with no hope at all, then praying,
then suddenly, at the last minute, out of no where, comes the perfect
answer to the hopeless situation.
So remarkable that everyone that knows of the answered prayer is truly
amazed.
The perfectly logical explanation is that God intervened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 06:35 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner_Nation_60 View Post
Well, here's what happened when an atheist professor "prayed" to God to show him He was real.....

A United States Marine was attending some college courses between
assignments. He had completed missions in Iraq and Afghanistan .
One of the courses had a professor who was a vowed atheist and a member
of the ACLU.

One day the professor shocked the class when he came in. He
looked to the ceiling and flatly stated, "God, if you are real, then I want
you to knock me off this platform. I'll give you exactly 15 minutes."

The lecture room fell silent. You could hear a pin drop. Ten minutes
went by and the professor proclaimed, "Here I am God. I'm still
waiting." It got down to the last couple of minutes when the
Marine got out of his Chair, went up to the professor, and cold-cocked
him; knocking him off the plat form. The professor was out cold.

The Marine went back to his seat and sat there, silently. The other
students were shocked and stunned and sat there looking on in
silence.

The professor eventually came to, noticeably y shaken, looked at the
Marine and asked, "What the hell is the matter with you? Why did
you do that?" The Marine calmly replied, "God was too busy today
protecting America's soldiers who are protecting your right to say
stupid stuff and act like an idiot. So, He sent me."
This is nothing more than the ignorant violent action of knucklehead intolerant person.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:14 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
I don't believe God answers any prayers or even hears prayers that are to test, challenge or insult Him such as in the story of the athiest professor..that story sounds similiar to ones I have heard from various pulpits told as their own experience

Old 11-15-2007, 07:40 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1100 View Post
There is no evidence that he does or will heal! That's only what you want to believe. The fact that some people are suddenly cured of various illnesses is no more indicative that any gods cured them than that the medication they were receiving suddenly cured them. I have often heard these stories of 'miraculous' cures and they always fail to mention that the patient has been receiving intensive medical care for a long time.

I find it difficult to understand just why any gods would cure one person of leukaemia and ignore "world prayer" events whereby millions of people around the world pray for world peace or some such....and receive nothing!
In the case I cited of our friend's daughter, the young lady had been diagnosed but was still in the evaluation stage. She had not yet received medical treatment when she was healed. I have personally experienced healing in ways that could not be attributed to medical care, but they are just not as dramatic and well-documented as the case of my friend's daughter.

And yes, there is evidence that God heals. There's just not proof. For those who don't want to believe, there will never be sufficient evidence to convince them otherwise. God could write it in the sky that He exists and those who don't want to believe would still find some natural explanation for the phenomena.

As to why God sometimes heals individuals but doesn't relieve world suffering, etc., etc., I don't know. It is a mystery. Sometimes I think it relates to many factors such as whether the people are in relationship with Him, whether enough faith is present and sometimes just whether it is in accordance with His sovereign plan.

Last edited by kaykay; 11-15-2007 at 07:50 AM..

Old 11-15-2007, 04:23 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,280,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheguevara View Post
Faith-Based Medicines

By RAYMOND J. LAWRENCE
Published: April 11, 2006

RESPONSIBLE religious leaders will breathe a sigh of relief at the news that so-called intercessory prayer is medically ineffective. In a large and much touted scientific study, one group of patients was told that strangers would pray for them, a second group was told strangers might or might not pray for them, and a third group was not prayed for at all. The $2.4 million study found that the strangers' prayers did not help patients' recovery.

Faith-Based Medicine - New York Times
Yes, In my experiences through life, they worked every single time; these prayers were intercessory as well as all other types of prayers . And since Jesus lives to makes intersession for us", when we don't know what to pray. that covers it all. (the only way i could see prayers not being answered would be praying amiss".

Old 11-15-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Yes, and sometimes it may seem to unbelievers that we are just "hedging our bets" when we say that something was answered "no" and sure, some things that seem to us as an answer to prayer could be coincidence. But I kinda suspect that most of us believers have all had some occasions in our life when the answer was just too miraculous, too huge, too timely and/or too pointed to write off that way. It is those times when you know absolutely in your heart that you've touched heaven and that prayer "works."
There goes the 333's again; favor girl, Divine favor; the reps are 1333 now.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
In the case I cited of our friend's daughter, the young lady had been diagnosed but was still in the evaluation stage. She had not yet received medical treatment when she was healed. I have personally experienced healing in ways that could not be attributed to medical care, but they are just not as dramatic and well-documented as the case of my friend's daughter.

And yes, there is evidence that God heals. There's just not proof. For those who don't want to believe, there will never be sufficient evidence to convince them otherwise. God could write it in the sky that He exists and those who don't want to believe would still find some natural explanation for the phenomena.

As to why God sometimes heals individuals but doesn't relieve world suffering, etc., etc., I don't know. It is a mystery. Sometimes I think it relates to many factors such as whether the people are in relationship with Him, whether enough faith is present and sometimes just whether it is in accordance with His sovereign plan.

All of the above;............................................ .........................

Old 11-15-2007, 05:18 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting View Post
Let's see....a desperate situation with no hope at all, then praying,
then suddenly, at the last minute, out of no where, comes the perfect
answer to the hopeless situation.
So remarkable that everyone that knows of the answered prayer is truly
amazed.
The perfectly logical explanation is that God intervened.
That is assuming that god intervened. But only those who have avoided a hopeless situation can testify. The dead ones can't.
It's an old trick...if prayer doesn't work, blame yourself.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:44 PM

702 posts, read 3,151,407 times
Default Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
whats the logical explanation of a Tornado heading directly towards a house and then jumping back up into the clouds right before it gets to the house?
JUST PLAIN LUCK

Old 11-15-2007, 08:51 PM

702 posts, read 3,151,407 times
Quote:

You kind of skipped the subject of praying for world peace. When I went to Catholic Grade School we prayed for world peace each morning...Didn't work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality