Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 11:31 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,634,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Maybe this will help you with the element association. Today there are many mixes, but anyone who goes far enough back in occult and hermetic study will mainly find this:
Air, Spring, East, sunrise, windy, birth, mental
Fire, Summer, South, noon, hot, growth, life spark/source
Water, Autumn, sunset, rain, death, emotional
Earth, Winter, midnight, cold, decay, physical

I have a natural tendancy to associate Fire with Spring since the season starts when the sun moves into Aries which is a fire sign, Summer is water, sun moves into water sign of Cancer, Fall is air moves into Libra, and air sign, and then winter is Capricorn, an Eath sign.
I think there might be a problem with trying to associate anything meaningful between constellations of the zodiac with seasonal characteristics or differences as you indicate. Depending on what part of the world you're at, the seasons can significantly differ. For example, when it's winter and cold in Canada, it's summer and warm in Australia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 11:48 AM

19,990 posts, read 13,466,622 times
Quote:
I have a natural tendancy to associate Fire with Spring...
Well, I have a natural tendency to associate Fire with Summer because the sun is so sweltering hot in the middle of summer, plus, as a former resident of the desert southwest, summer is the time of wildfires.

So now what?

Seems to me that you're making random associations; you even cite astrological dogma about fire being associated with Aries as the source of your association.

My association is no less random, based on my personal experiences and nothing else. Both are meaningless as a source of testable hypotheses about the influence of celestial bodies on earthly outcomes, either predictive or explanatory.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:18 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Isn't "spirit" science an oxymoron?

Old 09-07-2013, 01:06 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Isn't "spirit" science an oxymoron?
Pretty much. Just like 'creation science'.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:09 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,670,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
I think there might be a problem with trying to associate anything meaningful between constellations of the zodiac with seasonal characteristics or differences as you indicate. Depending on what part of the world you're at, the seasons can significantly differ. For example, when it's winter and cold in Canada, it's summer and warm in Australia.
The first list of associations is based on very old hermetic teachings (from the northern hemisphere). I don't know how they came up with those.
The second list is only my personal association because of western astrology which is a system developed in the northern hemisphere.
I'm not trying argue what is associated with what, everyone can make their own associations and/or utilize what ever historical associations there are based on the aboriginal people of that location.
The OP stated they were having troubles with those so I just gave what had been the more common associations over time and not some random guy's association. And in giving my personal associations, was sympathizing with the OP's wanting to associate things differently.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
The first list of associations is based on very old hermetic teachings (from the northern hemisphere). I don't know how they came up with those.
The second list is only my personal association because of western astrology which is a system developed in the northern hemisphere.
I'm not trying argue what is associated with what, everyone can make their own associations and/or utilize what ever historical associations there are based on the aboriginal people of that location.
The OP stated they were having troubles with those so I just gave what had been the more common associations over time and not some random guy's association. And in giving my personal associations, was sympathizing with the OP's wanting to associate things differently.
Since you said: "I have a natural tendancy to associate Fire with Spring since the season starts when the sun moves into Aries which is a fire sign, Summer is water, sun moves into water sign of Cancer, Fall is air moves into Libra, and air sign, and then winter is Capricorn, an Eath sign.", I was making the point that it doesn't jive. It may be Spring for you when the sun moves into Aries, but it's Fall for people in the southern hemisphere when at the same time the same sun is moving into the same constellation, Aries. I understand your sympathy for the OP, but then everything is seasonally different depending on where you are in the world, regardless of what constellation the sun is in. That there are different associations, aboriginal or otherwise, is a pretty good indicator that there's a lack of consistency which reduces it to nonsense.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:45 PM

What do you not understand about 'personal'. I'm in the northern hemisphere and my associations has nothing to do with my one else.
As far as calling it non-sense because of the variations from different aboriginal cosmologies is a discredit to ancient culture. They had thier reasons for doing what they did. I would not call it nonsense, it's just part of a tradition.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
What do you not understand about 'personal'. I'm in the northern hemisphere and my associations has nothing to do with my one else.
As far as calling it non-sense because of the variations from different aboriginal cosmologies is a discredit to ancient culture. They had thier reasons for doing what they did. I would not call it nonsense, it's just part of a tradition.
Relax. Every culture has traditions new and old. Aboriginal people are no different in that regard. There was no discrediting of the culture or even the historical aspect of the culture. You might want to recheck the context which was in reply to your post. You're the one who brought up aboriginies. I only mentioned the season of Austrailia is different than the season in Canada. I'm talking more about how many people in modern societies view Astrology (ie zodiac, horoscopes, foretelling the future). You didn't get the connection? When someone starts talking about constellations, signs, etc., and what it means to them, well, I'm sure you get the drift of what I mean. It may be part of tradition for some people, and they're entitled to embrace whatever they want. But I'm entitled as well. And to me, it's nonsense. I'm also in the northern hemisphere, although I do also spend time fairly close to being between both hemispheres.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:00 AM

I'm relaxed- I just don't understand the purpose of pointing out that my personal associations 'don't jive' in some places or with some people. And what does it matter the source? Perhaps I should have said the astronomical, which also refers to the constillations when it comes to the turning of the seasons.

Anyway- back to the original topic....

Old 09-08-2013, 01:17 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,213,089 times
Not to mention, what we see in the southern hemisphere night sky differs from the northern hemisphere.

I had a few trips to the UK. My sense of direction in South Africa is pretty good. In Cambridge I went walking to a pub that was about 1 km from where I stayed. I ended up walking more than 7km and asking for directions. This I can only attribute to my sense of perhaps the magnetic field and even when I had worked out the shortcut, when I walked there it still felt I was going in the wrong direction each time.

I am not claiming this as fact but merely offering insight as to how stuff was different for me. When I took a bus in Scotland to Aberdeen, we were travelling north, to me it felt like we were travelling south. This probably due to the equinox of the sun. It was disconcerting when my logical brain knew the direction we were travelling in was north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality