Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 02:46 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,214,408 times

Advertisements

From the Questions for Atheists Thread

Quote:
Someone had to design the color, fragrance, nectar, and structure of flowers designed to attract bees and to sprinkle them with pollen. Bees are designed to extract nectar and to take one flower’s pollen to another plant for fertilization. Clearly, the flowers and bees are designed to supply what the other needs.
This aspect I did not address previously.

How did the flowers know to make themselves pretty for bees to effect pollination?

First off pollination is not solely dependant on bees, their are other things like the wind that also works albeit less efficient. Your question also poses that all plants create flowers and all flowers yield seed from this process. Not really correct.

I have this cactus in my garden.

Note the fly.

Well there is absolutely no use for this flower. I even did a manual cross pollination. The flowers withered away and no seeds were forthcoming.

The cactus species spreads via the root system yet still creates flowers for no reason. This particular one, the flower opens at night when bees are not active and within 24 hours has withered away.

Why do flowers have colour?

There are simple explanations and of course what we see is the reflection of light, bees see them differently. For us, the colours are pleasant and we thus nurture and breed them. Their scent is more likely the attracting feature than the colour itself, then again, some flowers, to us, have no scent. I am no biologist but when we dig down to the DNA levels we start to get logical answers. Flowers also have DNA that match some of ours showing we are related in some way. Billions of years to evolve to what we see today would be enough time to adapt.

Corn/Maize is another plant/crop that does not rely on bees. It has no flower and the part we call the flower is not even attractive, the flower part creates no seed. The corn developes and only once seeds are there on the cob does the cross pollination take place. This is also a plant like the banana that has been adapted by humans. Seed is only good for consumption these days as they are generally useless to plant.

Suffice to say is that the relationship between bees and flowers are not that simple. A fellow christian Ray Comfort is the laughing stock of the scientific community in his banana debacle being a perfect fit for the human hand. It is like many other plants, a hybrid. IOW it was not created by any god.

Roses are another plant that no longer relies on seed. In all my years, the way you get a rose going is at pruning season, application of a hormonal powder on a shoot, trimmed just right, it will start forming roots. If you pop a shrivelled bud in the ground, nothing happens.

I am sure plant biologists will have far better explanations than me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 04:34 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Thank you.

This idea that 'perfect adaptation' must be evidence for design is a misunderstanding. This is evidence of evolution, where animals or plants that have been able to increase their survival chances by doing all manner of things - changing their colours, hiding in a disused shell, holding a piece of sponge over themselves, kicking all the other eggs over the cliff or out of the nest or laying eggs in the host which the larva then eats - and elaborate interdependence in pollination as was raised here - look very odd when considered as 'Design'.

The process of selection will enhance the chances of propagation of those varieties of blooms with a more attractive colour or scent. That will push the species along the 'Micro -evolution' road and, in time can lead to a different looking plant or insect (which gets called a 'new species'). The Evolutionary process which does what it does and God does not have to see that what He designed was Good, when it often doesn't seem to be.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:10 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
This is one of the simplest overviews on the golden ratio, golden angle etc in plants that I could find:

Nature, The Golden Ratio and Fibonacci Numbers

No magical Designer required.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:50 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Thanks. I came across the Golden ratio and Fibonacci series some years ago postulated as evidence of design. In fact they turned out not to be exactly exact and (though I expected the ID bods to say that was close enough) that put an end to the thread.

It is like so many of these puzzles. It was so often used as a gap for God and everything from DNA to cosmic origins is proposed as evidence for goddunnit unless a full explanation -without-God-being-needed is produced.

So many of these have been answered that it now looks unreasonable of the believers to keep retreating to another unanswered question. Of course it doesn't look unreasonable to them and I know why. Their Faith that God is everything means that they see God as a big invisible human who hath made it all and they require the skeptic atheists to explain every damn' event down to the last detail or 'God' remains the only valid answer.

That is a totally false position but I can understand why they hold it. Buy into god -belief (for whatever reason) and it becomes the Given which unbelief has to disprove to the hilt, no matter what logic says about the burden of proof.

In the end, frustrating though it may be, it doesn't really matter. Knowing that the case for 'God' isn't worth a damn' is all we need to know. That we can't explain this to the god -believers is irritating, perhaps, but of no real concern to us. We are not trying to convince them - they are trying to convince us.

Or rather we are holding public debates to persuade the undecided. I'd say we are getting much the better of it, but much depends on the mindset the public is bringing to the debate.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:51 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
From the Questions for Atheists Thread

This aspect I did not address previously.

How did the flowers know to make themselves pretty for bees to effect pollination?

First off pollination is not solely dependant on bees, their are other things like the wind that also works albeit less efficient. Your question also poses that all plants create flowers and all flowers yield seed from this process. Not really correct.

I have this cactus in my garden.

Note the fly.

Well there is absolutely no use for this flower. I even did a manual cross pollination. The flowers withered away and no seeds were forthcoming.

The cactus species spreads via the root system yet still creates flowers for no reason. This particular one, the flower opens at night when bees are not active and within 24 hours has withered away.

Why do flowers have colour?

There are simple explanations and of course what we see is the reflection of light, bees see them differently. For us, the colours are pleasant and we thus nurture and breed them. Their scent is more likely the attracting feature than the colour itself, then again, some flowers, to us, have no scent. I am no biologist but when we dig down to the DNA levels we start to get logical answers. Flowers also have DNA that match some of ours showing we are related in some way. Billions of years to evolve to what we see today would be enough time to adapt.

Corn/Maize is another plant/crop that does not rely on bees. It has no flower and the part we call the flower is not even attractive, the flower part creates no seed. The corn developes and only once seeds are there on the cob does the cross pollination take place. This is also a plant like the banana that has been adapted by humans. Seed is only good for consumption these days as they are generally useless to plant.

Suffice to say is that the relationship between bees and flowers are not that simple. A fellow christian Ray Comfort is the laughing stock of the scientific community in his banana debacle being a perfect fit for the human hand. It is like many other plants, a hybrid. IOW it was not created by any god.

Roses are another plant that no longer relies on seed. In all my years, the way you get a rose going is at pruning season, application of a hormonal powder on a shoot, trimmed just right, it will start forming roots. If you pop a shrivelled bud in the ground, nothing happens.

I am sure plant biologists will have far better explanations than me.

so why are you taking a question from the atheist board and spamming the religion board?

Old 09-06-2013, 11:11 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
so why are you taking a question from the atheist board and spamming the religion board?
I'm glad he did. I don't have a habit of checking the atheist board. Besides, the answers on a religion board will no doubt be different from those on an atheist board.

Aren't you up to learning something new?

Last edited by DewDropInn; 09-06-2013 at 11:22 AM..

Old 09-06-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'm glad he did. I don't have a habit of checking the atheist board. Besides, the answers on a religion board will no doubt be different from those on an atheist board.

Aren't you up to learning something new?
I love science, and learning things. I just wondered why he was spamming. I was only asking a question.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:29 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,214,408 times
The thread was locked when I wanted to post the reply and here is actually where we debate each other. You really are not keeping up with the happenings here and the more you post, the more foolish you come across. Perhaps instead of going off half **** you should actually read the post. You never have a rebuttle and contrary to your beliefs, this part of the forum has never been anyone's domain.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
The thread was locked when I wanted to post the reply and here is actually where we debate each other. You really are not keeping up with the happenings here and the more you post, the more foolish you come across. Perhaps instead of going off half **** you should actually read the post. You never have a rebuttle and contrary to your beliefs, this part of the forum has never been anyone's domain.
I'm just asking a question. Am I not allowed to do that without you going off on me?

Old 09-06-2013, 01:14 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I love science, and learning things.
Good to know. Of course what you learn is only as good as the source. If you're learning about science from the Old Testament or from anything that would be displayed in the creation museum I'd urge you to expand your base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality