U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 01:26 PM

395 posts, read 999,039 times

Advertisements

So what exactly was your point in starting the thread? Are you trying to have a debate on the merits of prayer? You had to know that posing a question as you did would be offensive to the faith community. It just seems to me that you are trying to rile folks up, but if I'm wrong and you are looking to sincerely discuss the merits of prayer, there is a religion discussion on the city-data boards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 01:29 PM

44,881 posts, read 56,395,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Why is it offensive?? Because I call you out to explain something ? Like I said, someone needs to give me a good answer on how the supreme being can bring the rain, but not the drought. Its okay, nobody will have an answer, no one ever will. Prayer is a personal thing and if it makes people feel better about their lives, it's a good thing. You can believe in pink elephants and unicorns for what its worth, but when elected officials are praying publicly, it calls into question the strength of our government. Sorry, thats how I feel.
I would be very happy to have this conversation with you, but I do believe we would have to do it thru direct message. Remember, this is not really the place to debate these kinds of things.

BTW, can you not see why calling me ignorant might offend me (or anyone else who prays for rain)?

Regardless, if you would like to seriously discuss this please send me a pm

Old 11-15-2007, 01:29 PM

5,254 posts, read 3,927,058 times
[quote=3johnsons;2007285]So what exactly was your point in starting the thread? Are you trying to have a debate on the merits of prayer? You had to know that posing a question as you did would be offensive to the faith community. It just seems to me that you are trying to rile folks up, but if I'm wrong and you are looking to sincerely discuss the merits of prayer, there is a religion discussion on the city-data boards.[/QUOT

The last thing I want to do is debate the merits of prayer. I was only trying to get an idea of what people think of this topic as I think it IS a forum issue when church and state get mixed together.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:31 PM

[quote=jp03;2007316]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3johnsons View Post
So what exactly was your point in starting the thread? Are you trying to have a debate on the merits of prayer? You had to know that posing a question as you did would be offensive to the faith community. It just seems to me that you are trying to rile folks up, but if I'm wrong and you are looking to sincerely discuss the merits of prayer, there is a religion discussion on the city-data boards.[/QUOT

The last thing I want to do is debate the merits of prayer. I was only trying to get an idea of what people think of this topic as I think it IS a forum issue when church and state get mixed together.
Sorry all, believe what you need to ...not trying to rile the roost.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:32 PM

44,881 posts, read 56,395,569 times
[quote=jp03;2007316]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3johnsons View Post
So what exactly was your point in starting the thread? Are you trying to have a debate on the merits of prayer? You had to know that posing a question as you did would be offensive to the faith community. It just seems to me that you are trying to rile folks up, but if I'm wrong and you are looking to sincerely discuss the merits of prayer, there is a religion discussion on the city-data boards.[/QUOT

But just because a person who happens to be a govenment official prays in public DOES NOT MEAN THE GOVERNMENT IS PRAYING. No matter what your job you are entitled to practice your faith, as long as it does not interfere with the performance of your duties.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:33 PM

4,282 posts, read 7,098,389 times
After watching the birth of both of my daughters I definitely believe in God, or a higher power, or whatever else you wish to call 'it'.

Being a collector of fine watches and antique clocks (and also an antique motorcycle restorer, usually post-war BMWs), I cannot imagine disassembling a movement of such, placing in a shoebox, and shaking until said product assembled itself. No matter how much time is involved, I just cannot buy it.

Common courtesy would not mock anothers faith, esp if it does not harm you in the least.

Typical humanistic viewpoint.
Pat oneself on the back for all things good, and blame a god or higher power for all things bad...

Old 11-15-2007, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
After watching the birth of both of my daughters I definitely believe in God, or a higher power, or whatever else you wish to call 'it'.

Being a collector of fine watches and antique clocks (and also an antique motorcycle restorer, usually post-war BMWs), I cannot imagine disassembling a movement of such, placing in a shoebox, and shaking until said product assembled itself. No matter how much time is involved, I just cannot buy it.

Common courtesy would not mock anothers faith...
For the record I believe in a supreme being wholeheartedly...I asked ONE question which has no answer.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:41 PM

4,282 posts, read 7,098,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
For the record I believe in a supreme being wholeheartedly...I asked ONE question which has no answer.
Praying for rain, performing a native american rain dance, or even washing your car (if under current water conservation was not verboten); whatever it takes.

Personally I just think too many people have flocked here and the natural resources of the land cannot support the population at current usage rates. Under severe droughts 10-20 years ago, we had no such problems.

I blame man and not God.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:50 PM

[quote=mullman;2007423]Praying for rain, performing a native american rain dance, or even washing your car (if under current water conservation was not verboten); whatever it takes.

Personally I just think too many people have flocked here and the natural resources of the land cannot support the population at current usage rates. Under severe droughts 10-20 years ago, we had no such problems.

I blame man and not God.[/QUOT

I do agree with that. I never blamed "God" ... ahhhh nevermind.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:16 PM

1,852 posts, read 3,380,962 times
I think to Love's point, an individual or group prayed, if the government had said "we won't commit to water management or other well laid out plans, lets pray for rain instead" I would be upset. But along with human efforts, divine intervention is not a bad thing, just like in the medical world. It also can lift people's spirits, which may not help in the case of "mother nature" but has been shown to help in personal cases of tragedy.

And just to add MY opinion on why things like this may occur, there generally is a reason, a sacrifice may need to be made for the greater good. As such a warning to say watch what you are doing or you will run out of water.

Scientifically.. its a cycle.. look what happened to Texas, 3 years of drought, came up with some better methods of use, then in 2007 they have had 3 years worth of rain. I am just getting my boat ready for 2008.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality