Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 02:34 PM

208 posts, read 218,634 times

Advertisements

Sorry I can't believe in an arrogant, mean, sadistic God who enjoys punishment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 02:46 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
And I know for sure that there is. .
Me too.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:53 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,430,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
What is your definition of god? God can be anything from an impersonal force, to creation itself, to a personal god of some kind. And that's only assuming you're limiting yourself to monotheism.

The second question is, what makes you feel this god necessary to your existence and happiness? Why can't you make it on your own?
My definition of God is an all controlling ultimate force...

One of the things that makes me wonder is that it is said that we cannot make it through life on just our measly powers,that we need God to hopefully perform the supernatural things He said He can do.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Concentrate on not comparing your life to the lives of others.

Or at least learn to compare YOUR life to that of a hungry, homeless, perhaps motherless child sleeping in a tent for several years now since that awful earthquake in 2010. It's all relative my friend!
It sucks being in a rat race in which I have little power comparatively...when I lived in another place I felt more on level with the people there,if I could be around those downtrodden people maybe I'd feel not as bad;

I don't know why I got stuck in this place just to get beat on...it's been likened to the story of David & Goliath...

Old 09-07-2013, 03:08 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
It sucks being in a rat race in which I have little power comparatively...when I lived in another place I felt more on level with the people there,if I could be around those downtrodden people maybe I'd feel not as bad;

I don't know why I got stuck in this place just to get beat on...it's been likened to the story of David & Goliath...
Well, when it comes to bad situations in life we basically have 3 healthy options...

Change the situation

Leave the situation

Accept the situation

Focus on finding a way to do one of these 3 things.

Old 09-07-2013, 04:30 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times
Quote:

It's all in your hands. Make yourself marketable, take control of your life, and take care of your responsibilities. If you wait for supernatural intervention, you'll be wasting the time you could put toward bettering yourself and your situation.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:11 PM

Of course I'm in another unique situation where it's difficult to leave the situation,and changing it is akin to attempting to move mountains...which is why I'm seeking assistance wherever I can get it. Whether it's financial or situations to change etc. I am doing whatever I can under my power,but I'm not a miracle worker

Old 09-07-2013, 05:59 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,927,349 times
Quote:
One of the main things that makes me constantly question things is...why do even good people suffer so much? Even more than the evil...
It's a tough question and one that deserves a good answer. I wish I could give you one, yet I'm just learning myself. I believe in the Christian God of scripture and that once converted, He will conform you to Christ. Christ didn't just serve people, He suffered too. It guarentees that a Christian too will suffer.

This is my own philosophy: This world is not a pleasant place. God's spirit is very dim in it for it is under the limited power of Satan. To be blessed by the pleasures of the world is to be fulfilled by it and one who lives as such probably will not know God. For God to draw one to Himself means that He will draw them from the world as much as He wills it for unfortunately as living humans we still are confined to the physical realm.

It may seem completely psychotic to some for someone to view suffering as God's loving hand upon them. Of course not all of it is, for some of it is the result of the rampant sin amongst the world. Yet I can imagine no greater act of love than for God to drive the attachments of the world from someone in order to draw them closer to Him, to have them realize that this is not their world, this is not their final place of rest. Why in the world would any one want it to be the other way? Personally, I have had so many physical, earthly comforts, but when God removed the veil from my eyes I cannot tell you the emptiness of this place, the futility of hope in a world such as this. There are many wonderful things which come out of the world because His presence is still in it, yet nothing compares to completeness of Him and I have only experienced the barest minimum of it. The thought of a place replete with His presence is unimaginable to me.

I suppose talk such as this may only drive people away from God for who does want to derive pleasure from the world? I wish I could convey the overwhelming pleasure one can receive from a relationship with God but that is something I am unable to do.

Quote:
Throughout my life I've had mostly struggles,yet I still believe there must be a higher entity. I've always believed, but when I became frustrated there were times I questioned it...and there was always something to bring me back to the way I was. I think because the things I've heard about in the bible seem to be coming true in some sort of prophetic way...so maybe it is right.
Even when I was an atheist I knew at the back of my mind there was something, some higher power than what we see here. The claims of the unbeliever can be argued against just as the claims of the believer can (each side stating that they have the more logical argument). I've always wanted to side with God and now that He has given me the ability to believe upon Him, I will do so. There are many things about God that do not make sense to my rational mind, yet I have not the time or academic knowledge to go into much depth to study the inconsistencies. I trust in Him. I love Him. He has given me something which the world cannot provide. If it is all a delusion as the atheist says, so be it; as I said before (quoting from the person I love more than any earthly thing), from my perspective, it is a blessed delusion.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:27 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,881,460 times
Of course!

Old 09-08-2013, 12:04 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
Quote:
This world is not a perfect place. It quit being a paradise the moment sin entered it.
Which, if God is actually omniscient, he would have known. God would have KNOWN sin would enter the world covering all humanity in sin and suffering and necessitating the consigning of billions of souls to eternal damnation and torment, etc. He would have known this before the world even existed. If God is actually omniscient.

If he's not, this means there are things God doesn't know. He's not all-powerful or all-knowing. God can be surprised at the actions of people--Adam and Eve succumbing to temptation in the Garden of Eden for instance.

Either God knew humans would fall and what every single result of that would be, or God isn't omniscient or omnipotent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
And I know for sure that there is.
Quote:
Me too.
This is complete and utter baseless nonsense, of course, and nothing but.

Whether or not a god or gods exist is simply more than any human knows, or has ever known.

Far less can we "know" that some specific god from some specific religion/belief system actually exists and any others are false.

What a ridiculous assertion.

I don't happen to default to the belief in invisible supernatural deities who have their hands in our fates because there is not now nor has there ever been a shred of any type of evidence for them. But do I "know" for certain there is no god or gods? No. Of course I don't.

Quote:
...Many are told that his ways are mysterious or that he brings death upon people—even children—so that he can bring them to heaven. But any sane person would know that God never causes what is bad.
Yeah. God gets all the credit for anything good that happens, but never any blame for anything bad or negative that happens. That's all the result of some evil anti-God or the flaws of humanity, right? What a racket. This is beyond ill-logic. It is anti-logic and anti-thought.

Quote:
The Bible says: "Far be it for the true God to act wickedly or unjustly!"—Job 34:10. But why are people always blaming God for all the suffering in the world? In many cases, they blame him because they think that he is the real ruler of this world. They do not know a simple but important truth in the Bible: That the real ruler of this world is Satan the Devil. The Bible clearly states: "The whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one."
Why would a loving, benevolent god allow this? As stated above, was God surprised that humans fell into sin and Satan became ruler of the Earth? God doesn't know when a person is going to make the wrong move and end up having to spend eternity in Hell?

How terribly silly. This kind of pablum is fit for kindergarteners (though it isn't right to saddle them with such nonsense) but that's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality