Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 01:34 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,372,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Then we are left wondering why you felt it necessary to include that business.
I included nothing of the sort. Perhaps english is not your first language and something in the translation has caused you to take offence where none was intended or implied. You went off on one for little or no reason and I am trying to stick to the topic. I will not apologize for something I have not done. Back to the topic, where I intend to stay....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
one ramification of that would be the recognition of how incredibly puny and unimportant we are in terms of the larger cosmological picture.
Indeed but I do not think we need to postulate anything on insufficient evidence in order to come to the same conclusion. Postulating a creator, or infinite regress of creators, is at best superfluous. We are pretty insignificant in cosmological terms regardless of there being any creator entity or not.

I guess one of the motivations some people have for inventing gods is to overcome the feelings that insignificance racks them with. By imagining that the entire universe was created with us in mine we move instantly from being one of the least significant things in it to being the sole purpose of it all.

I see no reason for this personally. "Importance" or "Significance" is a subjective nonsense and as such the very fact we exist with the possibility of having and expressing that subjectivity is enough in my mind to feed any need we have for feeling relevant or significant or special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 05:47 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
" In the beginning" makes no sense if there was an entity (god) that did some creating.
If said entity existed, then it stands to reason that this 'beginning' was not, in fact, the beginning.
Must be some simple facts got left out of the Bible, huh?
If god always existed ,you know, before the beginning it must be a linguistic problem here to have something before a first thing (or just a Christian one)

Old 09-16-2013, 10:26 AM

10,529 posts, read 6,163,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Postulating a creator, or infinite regress of creators, is at best superfluous.

I'm sure you have all heard this story, but I thought I'd throw it in here for interest and for those who may not have heard it:
Quote:
A well-known scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the center of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy. At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: "What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise." The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, "What is the tortoise standing on?" "You're very clever, young man, very clever," said the old lady. "But it's turtles all the way down!"

Stephen Hawking. Introduction to "A Brief History of Time".

Old 09-17-2013, 05:06 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,223,963 times
Why would a creator have to be eternal? Couldn't a "creator" of sorts start the beginnings of the universe and then explode into fine dust, destroy itself, (or some such scenario)?

Old 09-17-2013, 05:59 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
Why would a creator have to be eternal? Couldn't a "creator" of sorts start the beginnings of the universe and then explode into fine dust, destroy itself, (or some such scenario)?

Seems an interesting possibility.. Pyrrhic Creation. If we can get this concept into the popular discussion, then in no time at all there will be competing schools of thought, one which insists that the creator knew it advance that the act of creation would result in self destruction, and sacrificed itself so that we all may be, and one which argues that the creator had a reasonable plan for the universe, did not know that the act of creation would result in self destruction, and consequently the universe is adrift in a rudderless chaotic state, absent the control tower which was meant to helm it along.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:00 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,372,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
Indeed and there is also the possibility that such a creator has or had no idea we even existed.

Take for example the scientists currently working at CERN. They bring singularities into existence and the like.

Now imagine a similar scientist who creates a singularity on their desktop for what is, to that scientist, a split second. However within it an entire universe expands and fades, civilizations rise and fall, all postulating as to their origin and purpose etc etc.

All worshiping a creator who in actual fact has no idea whatsoever that his creation contained life.

Hell even the people who first created things like Yoghurt likely had no idea of the bacterial life inside it that drove it's creation.

Of course while fun to postulate the above one has to remember:

1) There is nothing on offer suggesting this is the explanation for our universe.
2) Such an explanation even if true still falls into the infinite regress issue.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:56 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I'm sure you have all heard this story, but I thought I'd throw it in here for interest and for those who may not have heard it:
Heh. Look at my status.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Heh. Look at my status.

Hmm. That's odd. I don't see your status under your name. I can see it if I go to your profile 'About me' section.
I wonder if its to do with my settings or yours?

Can anybody else see 'its turtles all the way down' on weltschmerz status?
Can anybody see my status too out of interest?

Old 09-18-2013, 09:56 AM

When you go to 'Settings' then 'edit options', then 'thread display options' then 'user status status settings' do you have this set to 'friends only'?

Old 09-18-2013, 09:59 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
I see yours, Cruithne but not weltschmerz's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality