Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 09:13 PM

79 posts, read 387,770 times

Advertisements

been to a christian church since age 6 but stopped early 20's, now I'm in late 20s, but I only went because I was taught to go, even after 18 I went because I was so used to it and I wanted to see my friends but I didn't really care much about what they preached about, sometimes I would leave the church with a friend and walk around the block to the corner store, but the main reasons why I didn't like reading the bible is because it's in a language I don't care for or understand even though it's the English version, "thou shall not, " etc... and I don't have time trying to figure out riddles, trying to interpret the bible, different words can be interpreted different ways, it should just be straight forward. It has a lot of disturbing stories ranging from incest, animal sacrifice, to violence like David and Goliath. Heard the story many times as a kid and pictures were shown on my bible school lesson for teens of the story but what they missed was the chopping of the head. Why is the book even called Holy Book if it contains filth and very disturbing graphic material? I would have to use white out and take out all of the bad parts in order for it to be a " holy book." I don't care much about most of the characters. A lot of them are just old, boring, but have sex with their daughters and other family members. Great book this is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 09:39 PM

222 posts, read 470,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusnred View Post
been to a christian church since age 6 but stopped early 20's, now I'm in late 20s, but I only went because I was taught to go, even after 18 I went because I was so used to it and I wanted to see my friends but I didn't really care much about what they preached about, sometimes I would leave the church with a friend and walk around the block to the corner store, but the main reasons why I didn't like reading the bible is because it's in a language I don't care for or understand even though it's the English version, "thou shall not, " etc... and I don't have time trying to figure out riddles, trying to interpret the bible, different words can be interpreted different ways, it should just be straight forward. It has a lot of disturbing stories ranging from incest, animal sacrifice, to violence like David and Goliath. Heard the story many times as a kid and pictures were shown on my bible school lesson for teens of the story but what they missed was the chopping of the head. Why is the book even called Holy Book if it contains filth and very disturbing graphic material? I would have to use white out and take out all of the bad parts in order for it to be a " holy book." I don't care much about most of the characters. A lot of them are just old, boring, but have sex with their daughters and other family members. Great book this is.
Just a suggestion. Why not buy a New Testament Study Bible? There are many versions to choose from such as NASB, NIV, ESV that remove thou and thee, etc.. By reading the NT you won't have to endure the problems you expressed reading the OT. A study Bible will have prompts and aids built in to help understand difficult verses.

Good luck and God Bless.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:24 PM

794 posts, read 846,222 times
Quote:
Buy a New Living Translation bible. It is translated in a way so that the people of today can easily understand it. You won't find the "thou shalt, thy, etc" in there. Those words were used in the first English translations which were actually done in a time when people were still talking like that.

The reason why the bible is in such vivid detail is because everything mentioned in the bible actually happened (and is going to happen for the events mentioned that have not yet come to pass). Everything in the bible has a meaning that must be interpreted in its context so you can see why it is there.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:52 PM

222 posts, read 470,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romans519 View Post
Buy a New Living Translation bible. It is translated in a way so that the people of today can easily understand it. You won't find the "thou shalt, thy, etc" in there. Those words were used in the first English translations which were actually done in a time when people were still talking like that.

The reason why the bible is in such vivid detail is because everything mentioned in the bible actually happened (and is going to happen for the events mentioned that have not yet come to pass). Everything in the bible has a meaning that must be interpreted in its context so you can see why it is there.
Good post. You are right spot on. I was even thinking he could download The Bible audio and skip over parts he doesn't want to hear.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:44 AM

155 posts, read 163,627 times
Quote:
My Brother,

Our Father wrote you this letter. He wants to know who really cares, and who dont as this is a test age we are in. And its not just laid out for understanding as our Father is looking for those who will rain with Christ in the mileneium, as kings of kings and lords of lords.

Although smybolic forms through out our letter, its those who seek, and knock, that really get understanding as the doors will open. As with all history books. "History" our letter is His " Gods " story. As He states " behold I have told you all things" .

Our Father teaches you and I and all His children whats going on in this letter.

In short, our Father explains His 7 thousand year plain hidden in Scripture as the mystries are locked in from befor the foundations of this earth age.

If you really think about it, youll have no problim understanding you came from your Mother and Father. Your mind can acept that. But our Father in Heaven revials how you come here and why you are here. ( In His Letter )

Now just think about this:

Youll have no problim looking at your Grandparents as where your parrents came from. But keep going, you can see your Grandparents ( parents) keep going back in time. You see if your really wondering. Where this all started.
Our Fathers letter He wrote you explains it.

Its like what came first the egg or chicken.

If you read the letter, its easy the chicken came first.

In our letter, there is 7 cronilogical events, that brings the third earth age into fact

The First earth age you was here. So was T-Rex.

This secound earth age,, you and I are being tested.

Three earth ages.
7 thousand year plan.

Can you tell me what happen's on 666

If you dont read the letter .

How can you.

Ibe
Ibe a Disciple of Jesus Christ
Ibe in His Service

Last edited by IbeWishing; 09-11-2013 at 06:49 AM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 09-11-2013, 07:17 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Quote:
You may want to consider the Catholic Church.

You don't even have to take your Bible to church. Go to mass and the missalette will have two readings (old and new T), the psalm, a the Gospel for that Sunday. These will be read during mass. The Gospel is read by the priest.

Then, during the homily the priest will discuss the meaning of the readings in a calm manner with no proselytization. You will have to spend one year studying Catholicism before you can become a Catholic on the Easter Vigil.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:38 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
I agree with the OP, people are not that waay at all and don't need to be told of a better way to relate.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:44 AM

4,685 posts, read 6,133,422 times
Quote:

What is the point of your post to rant about the bible, or are you looking for a way to get back into it?

I thought it was pretty boring as well for many years and could not understand what in the world was going on half the time. I decided to get the bible experince on audio and listen from genises to revaltions and many things made much more sense when you hear it from front to back in its entire context. Dont do like some have suggested by starting in the NT, as the NT references many OT stories and if you dont know what they are talking about, the NT will become boring and confusing as well. All i can suggest is you pray to God for understanding of his word and atleast make a effort to understand it.

But your not the only one who has been bored reading it and lost interest.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:08 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
If thine bible offend thee - don't read it.

Try The Lord of the Rings for a change of pace.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:58 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
You may want to consider the Catholic Church.

You don't even have to take your Bible to church. .
I was at a mass several years ago where the priest told everyone to get out their Bibles. This was at a huge Christian conference (multiple faiths) at a convention center. Everyone sort of looked at each other. He then said, "Why do the Protestants carry one but we don't? I want everyone who has a Bible on them to get it out now. If you have one in your car go get it. I'll wait."

A few people had Bibles with them. I'm not sure if they were Catholics or Protestants who had come to the conference and decided to attend a Mass. Several of us got up to go to our cars to get our Bibles. The Protestants saw us coming out and asked what was going on. Why were people leaving? Someone said, "Father X is making us go get our Bibles." They cheered.

It was a great moment with a definite feeling of solidarity.

OP: If all you're finding is a book filled with filth and disturbing material I doubt there's a translation you will appreciate. Young guys who see "boring old guys" in the Bible might want to follow TroutDude's advice until they become boring old guys themselves.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 09-11-2013 at 10:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality