Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2013, 01:55 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,678,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Once again, I will point out that the sacrifice of Abraham is completely off-topic. If you'd like to join in the conversation at hand, please feel free to do so.

As I've stated, the fact that there are some things, such as the of torturing babies for personal pleasure, that we all agree on to be morally wrong. Unless you can give me an instance where it is considered moral, we must conclude that such a thing is a moral absolute.
In your mind, is there a time when torturing children is moral, for any reason?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 02:00 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,892,630 times
Quote:
Once again, I will point out that the sacrifice of Abraham is completely off-topic. If you'd like to join in the conversation at hand, please feel free to do so.
Actually it is right on topic. Suggestion is that we get our our moral guidance from some divine entity. That entity in this case the god of the Bible, ordered Abraham to torture his son. What moral lesson is one to get from this story? I know the biblical answer will be that one should trust God. That's not the point I'm getting to.

Isaac would have seen a dread worse than somebody being waterboarded. That is torture.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:01 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,134,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
In your mind, is there a time when torturing children is moral, for any reason?
I've repeatedly said no, there isn't. And an atheistic worldview cannot account for such moral absolutes.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:06 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,973,244 times
Quote:
I've repeatedly said no, there isn't. And an atheistic worldview cannot account for such moral absolutes.
Absurd!

Above I answered your question in the most absolutist manner possible but you have chosen to ignore that statement. The atheist "world view" can and does establish certain moral absolutes. Murder, theft, slavery, oppression, denial of basic freedoms are all moral absolutes easily recognized by atheist.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:08 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,702,600 times
Quote:
Of course I wouldn't. That would go against his nature.
If "his nature" is defined by anything other than his particular whims on any given day, then you're telling us there's a moral standard outside of your god that he is bound to. So much for claiming no moral standard outside of god.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:16 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,702,600 times
Quote:
Once again, I will point out that the sacrifice of Abraham is completely off-topic.
How is the god-ordered killing of a child off topic in a thread discussing various potential moral rationales for torturing and killing children?

Quote:
As I've stated, the fact that there are some things, such as the of torturing babies for personal pleasure, that we all agree on to be morally wrong. Unless you can give me an instance where it is considered moral, we must conclude that such a thing is a moral absolute.
So it was immoral for Abraham to follow god's command to kill his child? Seems like a sticky situation for someone claiming divine command theory here - you've picked an example of a moral absolute which was broken by the very being you claim is the source of those moral absolutes. What to do, what to do?

Old 09-12-2013, 02:32 PM

17,574 posts, read 46,057,258 times
This is an awesome game. Anything that goes against what you are saying is off topic. I could have been debate team master if only I utilized this strategy.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
But it does leave the possibility.
As much as it leaves the possibility that god exists for me. And as an atheist that isn't very good odds. And you know, not to beat a dead horse, but this in no way proves it came from god.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Glad to see. That proves the existence of God. It is an objective moral standard. All societies declare it to be wrong, and we all gasp in horror at the idea of it. There may be someone that goes against it on occasion--but we all unanimously agree that it is wrong.
How can something be unanimous if people sometimes go against it?

Old 09-12-2013, 02:52 PM

4,903 posts, read 6,004,754 times
This thread has shown that if god is the source of morality then I'm a one legged parrot. The fact Abraham was going to kill Isaac for god's pleasure rather than his own pleasure doesn't justify the act and the fact that so many people believe it does only shows religion's capability to thwart someone's moral compass into believing it is okay to commit abominable acts simply because an invisible voice tells them to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality