Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2013, 09:03 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Because what we know scientifically about the "concept" is God-level scope, power and control, period! It is undeniable truth for all but the God-o-phobic. Your "No God" label "Nature" is not merely outright denial of its known attributes . . . it definitely elevates the remaining ignorance about it ("We do not know") into a privileged status in defining that ignorance (the default).
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Only in your mind Mystic, only in your mind.
Are you seriously denying that what we know scientifically about the "concept" is God-level scope, power and control???? What level WOULD be??? I suspect none because of your God-o-phobia . . . NOT science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 09:05 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,893,926 times
Mystic,

You are about as circular as can be. I ask you what "god-like" is and you say "that which is responsible for the universe". I say I don't see a reason to call that which is responsible "god". You say, "God-level scope, power and control". So, now I say, what is "god-level"? And why can't nature be as absolutely amazing in scope as it (nature) obviously is?

Old 09-21-2013, 09:06 PM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
No, sanspeur . . . when you say it is not a someone . . . YOU are making a positive claim about what you do not know. That is dishonest. They are the attributes assigned by science . . . not me. I simply accurately characterize them while you simply deny or ignore them.
Correct me if I am wrong, but am I to understand that you actually think someone created and is responsible for all there is?...That is not something that science has ever said, and you should know that, seeing that you claim mensa membership.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
Mystic,

You are about as circular as can be. I ask you what "god-like" is and you say "that which is responsible for the universe". I say I don't see a reason to call that which is responsible "god". You say, "God-level scope, power and control". So, now I say, what is "god-level"? And why can't nature be as absolutely amazing in scope as it (nature) obviously is?
You refuse to entertain ANY scope, power and control as God-level because of your God-o-phobia. You refuse to objectively analyze the attributes relative to our puny existence and acknowledge what is obvious to most of the world. You despise the fact that people personalized this concept of God with absurd beliefs and practices and they exploited you as a consequence. It is normal to be upset with that . . . but it has nothing to do with whether or not God exists based purely on the attributes we KNOW about scientifically.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 09-21-2013 at 09:21 PM..

Old 09-21-2013, 09:14 PM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
What the hell is God-o-phobia? Another of your invented words? Well it does not apply to atheists, as why would we fear something we do not believe exists?

Old 09-21-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD
No, sanspeur . . . when you say it is not a someone . . . YOU are making a positive claim about what you do not know. That is dishonest. They are the attributes assigned by science . . . not me. I simply accurately characterize them while you simply deny or ignore them.
Correct me if I am wrong, but am I to understand that you actually think someone created and is responsible for all there is?...That is not something that science has ever said, and you should know that, seeing that you claim mensa membership.
To be precise . . . you added the "created" not me, sanspeur. BUT . . . since consciousness exists and is a part of what we know about the "concept". . . the use of "someone" is not disconfirmed by anything known to science. IOW . . . you have no basis in science for your rejection of it . . . that is all I am saying.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
You refuse to entertain ANY scope, power and control as God-level because of your God-o-phobia. You refuse to objectively analyze the attributes against relative to our puny existence and acknowledge what is obvious to most of the world.
How the heck can I say whether something is or is not "god-like" or "god-level" when you absolutely, intransigently refuse to say what the heck you mean by "god-like" or "god-level"? This is all on YOU, and You alone. Don't even think to blame us for any of it. It is not our fault you can't or won't define your terms. And it is not as if they are meaningless to you, because you seem to be working from some implicit assumptions that you won't articulate.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Are you seriously denying that what we know scientifically about the "concept" is God-level scope, power and control???? What level WOULD be??? I suspect none because of your God-o-phobia . . . NOT science.
Quote:
What the hell is God-o-phobia? Another of your invented words? Well it does not apply to atheists, as why would we fear something we do not believe exists?
God-o-phobia is what keeps you from honestly and objectively answering my questions . . . as in the above! It is a fear of acknowledging that a God exists based entirely on known scientific attributes because of the religi-o-phobia that drove you into atheism.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
How the heck can I say whether something is or is not "god-like" or "god-level" when you absolutely, intransigently refuse to say what the heck you mean by "god-like" or "god-level"? This is all on YOU, and You alone. Don't even think to blame us for any of it. It is not our fault you can't or won't define your terms. And it is not as if they are meaningless to you, because you seem to be working from some implicit assumptions that you won't articulate.
Come on, Hueff you are being really tedious and tiresome. You know exactly what I mean. God has the ubiquity, scope, power and control over us and all reality that we have ascertained exists through our science.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Come on, Hueff you are being really tedious and tiresome. You know exactly what I mean. God has the ubiquity, scope, power and control over us and all reality that we have ascertained exists through our science.
No we haven't. Science has not ascertained something god supposedly has. Science has ascertained some awesome attributes nature has; there is no reason to call it god.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality